Discussions

News: Hard Core Tech Talk with Borland's Jishnu Mitra

1. Hard Core Tech Talk with Borland's Jishnu Mitra (5 messages)

A new Hard Core Tech Talk interview with Borland's Jishnu Mitra has been posted. In this interview, Jishnu talks about the new features in EJB 2.1, including the timer mechanism, the transition from EJB 2.0 to 2.1, and discusses the future of EJB. He also discusses the challenges of EJB and Web services integration, and looks at J2EE clustering and application server partitioning.

Watch Jishnu Mitra's Interview Here
  2. Regarding EJB's Mitra says:

"or I'd hope that the future is total ubiquity of EJBs. I think it's there, everybody knows it, everybody knows how to use it well, and it just works"

To the extent that developers can make them do "stuff", yes, everyone knows it. However, I think most developers use EJB as just a form of data access, like a very complex version of JDBC. The statement that "everybody knows how to use it well" might be a contender for the most false statement of the year. Sometimes tool vendors are guilty of demonstrating their concepts with the ubiquitous online shopping cart or the pet store and assuming that is what all applications are like, but real life apps get very complicated and there are very few people who know how to use EJB in those situtations.

Taylor
  3. "There are very few people who know how to use EJB in those situations"

Well, this is nothing new from other technologies. I have worked with many RDBMS, Oracle being the most popular and "few" know how to use databases as well.

In fact, most of the Oracle PL/SQL code I've seen is just patching bad database design.

And I can go on making more "know how" examples, but the point here is to recognize the attempt of making distributing software development possible because of J2EE.

Borland has been focused on the development community for a long time and they know how to deliver the best tools.

I'm not a Borland employee; I just have common sense...

4. Taylor,

as far as I can tell, the transcript is erroneous here. What Jishnu said (if you actually watch the video) was:
    "From a user's point of view, I would say that the future or I'd hope that the future is total ubiquity of EJBs, *meaning* it's there, everybody knows it, everybody knows how to use it well, and it just works."
    So I don't think that he believe we're at the point where everybody knows how to use EJB's well yet, he just hopes that we'll eventually get there in the near future...

Mario
  5. Hard Core Tech Talk with Borland[ Go to top ]

Mario,

Thanks for pointing this transcription error out in question 7 of Jishnu Mitra's tech talk. It has been fixed. 'I think' has been replaced with the word 'meaning'; the 'meaning' of the sentence is now correct. :)

Regards,
    Nitin

6. Please provide sufficient information. The information u provided is Abstract. If you are managed to provide the full length of information then the users could get the maximum benifit of visiting your site.

Thanks
    Prasad BPV