Discussions

News: Expresso Framework Struts out Release 5.0

1. Expresso Framework Struts out Release 5.0 (6 messages)

Jcorporate Ltd. today announces the release of Expresso 5.0, the most popular architectural framework for Java web development. The Expresso 5.0 release is a major new release with more than 50 new features, breaks new ground in software with new workflow engine and raises the bar by providing 100% higher release stability than the previous version. Expresso is available free of charge for download at http://www.jcorporate.com/product/expresso.html.

What sets Expresso apart is its fostering of interoperability and sharing between open source projects. An intentional and coordinated effort of cooperation in the creation of an architectural framework which builds on and integrates best of breed open source components including Cactus, Log4J, JUnit, Xerces, Xalan, Struts and more.

Expresso provides a foundation set of components that standardize common programming tasks. "Authentication, categorization, persistence, XSLT presentation layer, object model, and schema are all shared by applications of varying scope. This means that third party applications built Expresso will work with your custom developed applications."

Release 5.0 has brewed more than 50 new features, as well as many feature updates, performance improvements, bug fixes and updated documentation. Here are some highlights:

- Additional Struts Integration including Tiles integration, ActionForms, Radio Input types, Combobox tag, and an Expresso-aware html:link tag that will work with Transitions.
    - Container-based authentication integration.
    - Authentication and Registration: refactored with many improvements including email address validation, login redirecting to original destination.
    - SSL Integration Capabilities: now can transition into and out of SSL web pages and still maintain session state.
    - DBObjects: Has many new improvements including a new class of DBObjects that can have Row level permissions.
    - Basic Workflow Capabilities
    - BLOB/CLOB datatypes Support
    - JNDI Compatible Data Connections: Expresso can now retrieve connections to databases through JNDI lookups. This is critical for JTA compatibility as well as some drivers for, for example, DB-2 databases.
    - i18n Improvements: Error Collections can have keys to Message Bundles with this tag. Polish and Chinese language support added.
    - Clean & universal URLs: allows for clean URLS without lots of URL parameters
    - Performance improvements to overall web application performance.
    - Security Enhancements have been made.
    - Expresso WebServices component
    - Expresso Developer's Guide has been substantially updated.
    and much more.
  2. the most popular architectural framework for Java web development

based on what? I aint buying
  3. When I can go to Amazon.com type in the product and see a list of books published I consider something "popular". Until then it's all hype to me too.
  4. That's funny though. It means you never considered JBoss popular till they had couple of books available. And probably you wont consider OptimizeIt popular just because there's no book on this product and there are many other products without a book published.

/c
  5. Nevertheless, this a bright development. At least we have more alternatives now, and hopefully better ones.
  6. Before You Buy Into Expresso ...[ Go to top ]

Know that behind the scenes, code like this is managing your database connections:

} catch (ConcurrentModificationException cme) {

I'm not kidding, we seriously found this in the ConnectionPool code after wondering why we were chewing up so many connections.

This is just the tip of the iceburg ...

We wasted months after buying into this product trying to hack around all of its problems. It has been a perfect example of a great concept destroyed by a horrible implementation -

100 or so classes, 5 or so interfaces, 0 Unit tests, and spaghetti code allthroughout

jd
  7. Before You Buy Into Expresso ...[ Go to top ]

} catch (ConcurrentModificationException cme) {

LOL!