Discussions

News: Oracle9i JDeveloper and AppServer 9.0.3 Production Released

1. Oracle has recently released the 9.0.3 production version of it's Oracle9i JDeveloper IDE and Application server. Both products offer full support for J2EE 1.3. JDeveloper includes UML Modeling and generation, a J2EE design pattern framework, built in Ant, CVS, Struts, JUnit support, etc.

JDeveloper is available at:
    http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev.

Oracle 9iAS is available here:
    http://otn.oracle.com/tech/java/oc4j/content.html.

More info about JDeveloper
    -----------------------------
    This new version contains:
    Complete J2EE 1.3 support (EJB 2.0, JSP 1.2, Servlet 2.3).
    Built-in Ant, Struts, CVS, and JUnit support.
    UML Modeling and generation for Java classes, EJB 2.0 and Web Services.
    Web-Services development and consumption and .NET services compliance.
    J2EE Design Pattern Framework.
    Extension SDK to extend the IDE and an Extension Manager.
    New unique UI Debugger for Rich Client development.
    Support for Database stored procedure development and debugging.
    One-Click Deployment to Oracle9iAS and BEA Weblogic.
    Support for JBOSS.

and much much more
    List of new features at: http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/jdev903_fo.html

And all of this with the great price tag of $995

Threaded Messages (17)

2. Great news from oracle and it is really good to know that JDeveloper supports built-in Ant, Struts, CVS, and JUnit frame works. I feel that they are in the right track to grab attention the J2EE community.

Do they have any plans to come up with a J2EE 1.3 version of VSM application as they mentioned in
    http://www2.theserverside.com/home/thread.jsp?thread_id=13743

Where I can fine more info about Oracle Application Server?

Mark
  3. Mark -
    More info can be had at http://otn.oracle.com - its the headline out there right now. If you have worked with Orion application server, you will be quite comfortable with OC4J, obviously.

Cheers
    Ray
  4. Hi,

As almost happy user, I support all
    good words about JDev903. Struts/tiles,
    sql, pl/sql, cvs, profiler, a lot of
    different useful stuff well integrated.

Jalopy, Struts console and junit plug-ins
    are also helpfull.

Several [relatively small] thing that
    "can-be-better":

-- only 3-4 refactor entries (vs. eclipse)

-- one-way wizards : you can deploy, but
    not undeploy (see jbuilder), can set
    atributes for tag at creation time, but not
    after (still there is in-line code helper inside
    most html and struts tags)

-- only couple of UMLs, I like "use case"
    diagrams, preferably in some standart
     format.

9ias/jdev and now TopLink are solid (IMHO)
    combo.

AlexV.
  5. Hi,
      We are currently working on the J2EE 1.3 compliant version of VSM application. It will have Struts 1.1 as the MVC framework, EJB 2.0 CMP,CMR and local interfaces.
    The sample will be posted on otn.oracle.com as soon as it is completed.
    Warm regards,
    OTN Team @ IDC
  6. Is this demo ready?
  7. Hi, I have looked at JDeveloper some time ago, and I found it, well, rather unfortunate. So I just checked back on the new features it claims to provide and what do you know - I am still not very impressed.

There is nothing there that lets it outrun, say IBM Websphere Studio or JBuilder (which is very expensive of course), let alone the idea 3.0 release to come. It might be the tool of choice if you work with oracles application server but that's about it.

As for the J2EE support in tools like this, well I haven't seen it, but experience tells there will a couple of nice wizards, maybe some support of Suns J2EE core patterns (some of which are plainly wrong). Again, I am not very impressed.
  8. When did you last use JDeveloper?
  9. "So I just checked back on the new features it claims to provide and what do you know - I am still not very impressed."

I totally agree with you, I can't believe the hype Oracle gets for JDeveloper and Oracle9iAS. It is just "now" that Oracle9iAS 9.0.3 supports J2EE 1.3 standards and JDeveloper is nowhere near the other Java IDEs in functionality and features.

Very, simple, if anyone (Not Oracle shop, of course) does a technical evaluation of JDeveloper and Oracle9i Application Server, it would be obvious, that Oracle has not evolved much, outside of the database division.

Fortunately, I've worked with Weblogic, Borland Enterprise Server and JBoss application servers, therefore, I understand what good J2EE implementation can provide. The Oracle9iAS Containers for J2EE 9.0.3, (OC4J), AKA Orion, is pretty good by itself, I suggest to stay away from the entire fat Oracle adds to it. Go and install the "complete" Oracle9iAS 9.0.2 package and you will see what I mean.

As for JDeveloper, well, it's better than nothing; if that's the only choice you have...
  10. Hi,
    This is a piece of good news as I was waiting for the 9iAS 9.0.3 version the container to be released. I am working right now with 9.0.2 version and I wonder if there's any tool that will facilitate the migration to 9.0.3. I have tried some time ago to migrate the application that we build (containing about 50 EJBs) to 9.0.3 pre-release version but with no success. I won't go into the details but in 9.0.3 the descriptors have changed (CMRs are described using the 'regular' format as opposed to 9.0.2 which used the notation inherited from Orion). I tried to make the changes by hand but at deployment time, some of the implementation classes generated by the container did not compile and the whole deployment failed!

So, if anyone knows some migration tool from 9.0.2 to 9.0.3, please let me know!

Thanks in advance,
    florin
  11. I have been using Oracle9i Application server for the last few weeks. The application server can be easily configured using Oracle enterprise manager. I wasn't impressed with the last version of Jdeveloper. However you can integrate OC4J with intelliji to run it from there.

If the latest version of JDeve. provides tools like struts, ant and etc it makes it more comptitive.
    zelalem
  12. I have tried some time ago to migrate the application that we build (containing about 50 EJBs) to 9.0.3 pre-release version but with no success. I won't go into the details but in 9.0.3 the descriptors have changed (CMRs are described using the 'regular' format as opposed to 9.0.2 which used the notation inherited from Orion).

That's the price you pay for using EJBs in a vendor specific way. Imagine how would you port your app to iPlanet now :)

There are J2EE applications which are deployable on many app servers. How do they achieve it? They pay a special attention to portability. J2EE is hot because it's theoretically portable. To make it practically portable is up to you. NExt time you decide using CMP think twice!
  13. <quote>
    NExt time you decide using CMP think twice!
    </quote>
    Well, as it's almost allways the case, somebody else made that decision for us: the Customer.
    We have working on this project since some good months ago and I was assigned for the whole EJB layer... There were tines when I thought (still do) that I was the only person developing on oc4j. No response at all to my inquiries on the official discussion groups and a really frustrating time configuring the weird CMRs using the Orion syntax.
    All in all, we got to the point where the whole application runs pretty well (sometimes I get really proud of it). I got a lot of my questions answered, not searching the official oracle documents and examples that don't tell you anything new, but digging the Orion discussion groups and wasting a lot of time...
    To be honest, my inquiry about the migration to 9.0.3 would have given me the opportunity to make far easily migration to other more standard AppServers but seems like this is a fading hope.
    I don't want to go any further criticising 9iAS but I can't help throwing two more:
    1. They have different bundles that they sell (standard, enterprise, core, god-knows-what-else) that completly blow my mind and I just hope to succesfully comprehend them someday.
    2. After succesfully developing the whole application (a fairly complex one) using the standalone oc4j container we got to the point of deploying it on the 9iAS AppServer core vresion. Easy to say. Our whole application should be mount ed on the root of the website ("/") but this trivial requirement proved to be a brute challenge to 9iAS as we couldn't make it and we struggling with this problem as I speak. Again I won't go into details (we're using an interceptor servlet and we deploy cocoon2 as well as struts inside oc4j) but I discovered some interesting issues in 9iAS that prevent mounting an application under "/".
    I despreatly hope that I'm wrong but so far it seems that I'm stealing my own hat holding on to this thought.

florin

14. Some notes on OC4J developer's preview and production release.

Hi!

I have been evaluating/migrating our application from JBoss 2.4.4 to OC4J 9.0.3. The application is planned to be running on OC4J/9iAS when we release it to our customer in december.

The application makes heavy use of local interfaces. I successfully got BMP w. local interfaces to work with the developer's preview of 9.0.3.

When the production version arrived I deployed the same app and got appserver-internal compilation errors from the wrapper classes. It seems this problem arises when you have a local BMP with a finder methods that return a Collection...

More info on this can be found on this link at the OTN discussion forum:

http://www.oracle.com/forums/message.jsp?id=1322371&pgm=otn&uid=1035805676952
    Topic name: Upgrade problems (9.0.3)

The topic also discusses some problems with CMP/OR issues.

A good read if you plan to upgrade and want to know what problems might arise.

Regards,

Jonas Bergqvist
  15. Hi,

I have started using JDeveloper a few weeks ago as it was a requirement for one of the classes I take. I can tell that it's been a pure pain so far. I have a normal PC ( I think) with 256 M RAM and 750 processor, and JDeveloper is just crowling where JBuilder was flying. When you try to delete symbols it literally takes a few moments to see it reflected on the screen.

Also, have you tried building GUIs with JDeveloper? I did, and it was so non-intuitive and unpredictable that after suffering for a few hours I gave up, switched to JBuilder and accomplished the same task in 30 min.

I guess it does depend on what you are using it for, but so far there is no chance I'm switching to JDeveloper from JBuilder.

Marina
  16. Also, have you tried building GUIs with JDeveloper? I did, and it was so non-intuitive and unpredictable that after suffering for a few hours I gave up, switched to JBuilder and accomplished the same task in 30 min.

>I guess it does depend on what you are using it for, but so far there is no chance I'm switching to JDeveloper from JBuilder.

I don't use GUI wizards/builders. They are all horrible. The least horrible one is IBM VisualAge's Visual Component Editor.

If you want to change IDE, I recommend to look at IntelliJ IDEA.
  17. Marina,

Some people encounered slow performance in JDeveloper when they had an anti-virus running and checking Java classes as they were uploaded to memory. You might want to check it out.

One more new option in the new Oracle9i JDeveloper is to tune the IDE to have only the features you need. So for example if you don't need the UML you can turn this off and this will reduce JDeveloper's memory usage. Check out the new Extension Manager.
  18. Hi

I came across Pramati studio which supports one click deployment on Oracle 9ias. We evaluated it and found it really good.

http://www.pramati.com/product/studio30/index.htm

Check out for yourself.

Brian