Discussions

News: Whitepaper on J2EE Reference Architectures by TMC

1. Whitepaper on J2EE Reference Architectures by TMC (15 messages)

A new whitepaper, 'J2EE Reference Architectures: A Foundation for Robust J2EE Systems', by The Middleware Company, discusses how to build J2EE systems quickly and effectively using reference architectures. This whitepaper is now freely available for download.

Download 'J2EE Reference Architectures: A Foundation for Robust J2EE Systems'
  2. The File seems to be damaged. I couldn't download it.
  3. Same problem for me
  4. Same for me as well... Has anyone successfully viewed the document?
  5. Sorry about this guys. We're working on resolving this problem. It will be fixed momentarily.

-Nitin
  6. Seems to work if you skip the email-grabber by clicking the tiny link "No, thanks. Let me in"
  7. where's the beef :-)
  8. If you are interested in a really good set of design patterns for J2EE (much better than the ones from TSS, IMHO) check out Martin Fowler's site:

http://www.martinfowler.com/isa/index.html

The book, "Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture", should be available in Amazon.com in the next few weeks. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

9. Yeah, I've read all the chapters available on the web site, and the book looks damn promising ! Full of interesting patterns and architectural suggestion. Maybe some kind of new "pattern bible" ?

Laurent
  10. If you are interested in a really good set of design patterns for J2EE (much better than the ones from TSS, IMHO) check out Martin Fowler's site:

http://www.martinfowler.com/isa/index.html

You are very right! Martin Fawler's book is indeed unique in that it provides patterns for building enterprise applications regardless of infrastructure and technology used. All of the patterns used can be applied to J2EE or .NET, or J2SE + RMI/CORBA or whatever your infrastructure is.

11. Patterns vs. Idioms[ Go to top ]

"All of the patterns used can be applied to J2EE or .NET, or J2SE + RMI/CORBA or whatever your infrastructure is."

Er, um:

"Idioms represent low-level patterns. In constrast to design patterns, which address general structural principals, idioms solve implementation-specific problems in a programming language." -- A System of Patterns, Buschmann

Thus, Fowler named it patterns, not Java or J2EE idioms. Glad to see the book, as its much needed.

James
  12. Try this link:

http://www.middleware-company.com/documents/Reference_Patterns_Article.pdf
  13. No Great Inforamation.....

RAJ
  14. No information at all.
  15. Totally Useless[ Go to top ]

Jejune.

This rehash of common knowledge reads like an Indian grad student being pushed to publish something to promote himself and the company.

This is not a good advertisement for TMC, IMO.
  16. Totally Useless[ Go to top ]

Ethan, the Indian education system is pretty good, so I don't see why an Indian grad student would be any more likely to produce a poor paper than anyone else...

Back to the point, I agree with yours and other people's comments on this paper. It's not totally useless but it is superficial and doesn't add anything to common knowledge.

The concept of Reference Architectures is valuable, with one caveat. I've seen lots of projects go wrong because people were determined to apply patterns they'd read about, even if they didn't find the problem. The Java Pet Store is a perfect example of this, and this is a major reason it is so verbose and has such poor performance. So yes, patterns are great, but look at the problem in hand first to ensure patterns you use are a good fit. The business should drive the technology, not the reverse.

Martin Fowler is one of my favourite writers, so I'd expect his new book to be worth reading. My new book, Expert One-On-One J2EE Design and Development, also takes a fresh and sometimes critical look at J2EE patterns. It certainly isn't a "rehash of common knowledge".