Discussions

News: Apple Releases WebObjects 5.2

1. Apple Releases WebObjects 5.2 (13 messages)

Apple has released a new version of WebObjects, the company's suite which includes an (optional) application server, modeling tools, persistence frameworks, generation tools, etc. The new version mostly focuses on adding Web Services support, but also improves J2EE integration, supports Java Web Start, etc.

Check out Apple WebObjects and read Apple releases WebObjects 5.2(MacCentral).

Threaded Messages (13)

2. Apple Releases WebObjects 5.2[ Go to top ]

Very buggy product with ancient dev. tools.

Stef
  3. Apple Releases WebObjects 5.2[ Go to top ]

I used WebObjects for several projects in 98 and 99, and when I moved to JSP/Servlets, I was very disappointed in how the JSP and Servlet spec dealt with a webapp. Even today, with taglibs and other stuff, WebObjects and the database extraction layer was far superior in terms of ease-of-use than J2EE. Agreed that the dev tools shipped are terrible, but it comes with Makefiles, and I just did command-line development and had no problems. WebObjects is a very strong web development tool that doesn't have the complexity of J2EE, but allows you to realize a good design without the hack-a-thons required by ASP and Coldfusion.
  4. Apple Releases WebObjects 5.2[ Go to top ]

Very buggy? Yes, if you don't understand WO.
    Ancient dev tools? Yes, not fancy. But vi is not fanc either.
  5. Apple Releases WebObjects 5.2[ Go to top ]

No upgrade, very shameful apple.... :-(
  6. Apple Releases WebObjects 5.2[ Go to top ]

Having used for one big project I can say WO is very good for development (Don't have to worry crappy EJB and JSP).

Only have to worry about my business logic.
    WO have one of best O/R framework.

Deployment was headache in 4.01.
    Hopefully there is improvement in delpoyment.

Still waiting sun java version of EO framework to make move back to WO.
  7. Apple Releases WebObjects 5.2[ Go to top ]

<quote>
    Don't have to worry about crappy EJB and JSP
    </quote>

ummmm, what exactly is crappy about them?
  8. Apple Releases WebObjects 5.2[ Go to top ]

<plug>
    If you are looking for an open source equivalent of WebObjects (WO) take a look at Tapestry http://sourceforge.net/projects/tapestry

WO concept of Component based development provided some of the original inspiration behind this framework.

Some WO users who migrated to Tapestry use Hibernate as the OR mapping layer.
    </plug>

WO looks like an attractive commercial framework, with a built in OR mapper, and is really quite cheap at USD $700.
  9. Apple Releases WebObjects 5.2[ Go to top ]

I've been working with WO 3 years. Compared to J2EE, especially EJB, the benefit of WO is EOF.

But Apple should offer new Development tools especially for the Windows Plattform. They are are not usable...The same for WO-Monitor which sometimes "mutant" to an Application Instance Multiplier...

Steven.
  10. Apple Releases WebObjects 5.2[ Go to top ]

I Did not realize they had windows tools for development as well. How do they compare to the Mac Tools? I am very interested in WebObjects as a RAD alternative to J2EE. I need RAD Development with MySQL or SQL Server 2000 as a backend database, and either Tomcat or JRun as an engine. This looks as if it can do just that.

Where can i find out more about this technology?
  11. Apple Releases WebObjects 5.2[ Go to top ]

I am not sure what you mean by RAD, but if you are looking for an OR mapping tool for the DBs you mentioned, WebObject offers EOModeler, which you use to build your data access layer (the EOF mentioned previously). Checkout the doc

It also has some nasty code generation tools like Direct2Web, which is some people like to refer to as guess "RAD" (project managers and alike :-)
  12. Direct To Web is not code generation![ Go to top ]

Direct To Web is not a code generation system. Yes it is possible to "freeze" a page into Java code and a WOComponent, but that is highly discouraged.

Direct To Web uses a rule engine for rule-based appication configuration and behaviour. The rules have access to the metadata in your OR (EOF) layer and your application services layer.

Direct To Web uses templates for tasks, which look up the information they need to display information (say, a list page or a query page or an edit page) via the rule engine.

For more information look at the two chapters I wrote in the WROX WebObjecs book.

http://jim.roepcke.com/r/WebObjectsBook
  13. Apple Releases WebObjects 5.2[ Go to top ]

I would avoid it if I were you. If you really want to stay Java oriented and want WO like framework, go with Tapestry.

WO tools are horrible on PC. If you want RAD, try ASP.net with VS.net.

Stef
  14. Apple Releases WebObjects 5.2[ Go to top ]

Tapestry covers just a small piece of WO. Tapestry is no app server by itself. The fact that Tapestry is more popular than WO itself says a lot about Apples marketing regarding WO (yeah, let's just do another silent release and hope nobody hears from us)

I think WO gets "RAD" (darn, I said it again) only, after you have gone thru the often mentioned learning curve - but the level of reusability that can be achieved then is unparallelled. Of course, you don't have the simplicity of asp.net but asp.net does not have the sophistication of WO (+ you won't need your weekly security patch:)