SwingML Beta 1.1 released

Discussions

XML & Web services: SwingML Beta 1.1 released

1. SwingML Beta 1.1 released (7 messages)

The SwingML Beta 1.1 version is out.
    This new version is released under GNU General Lesser Public License and has many additions and improvements to the previous Beta 1.0 version.

It is available at:
    http://swingml.sourceforge.net

This version provides support for the following JFC Swing components and features:

JMenuBar, JMenu, JMenu, JSeparator, ButtonGroup, JToolBar, JEditorPane, Customized Action Behavior support.

Several improvements have been made to the Renderer's internal architecture to provide better scalability and its size has been reduced to 110 KB in comparison with the 119 KB that weighted before the new additions.

For those who doesn't know what the SwingML project is
    SwingML is an open source project available under LGPL and its goal is to release the power of JFC/Swing in the creation of front ends for web based business applications by providing an alternative to replace completely the use of HTML dinamic generation at the server side components.
    With SwingML a developer can produce dinamically in the server side component a SwingML form (which is based on XML) and at the client side an applet translates it in to a JFC/Swing based graphical user interface. This applet is called "Renderer" and it manages the translation of the SwingML into a Swing based gui and the request and response calls to the server side component using HTTP.

Currently we support the components mentioned above plus all the following
    JPanel, JTextField, JLabel, JButton, JTabbedPane, JInternalFrame, JTree, JTable, JList, JComboBox, JDialog, JCheckBox, JTextArea, JSplitPane, JOptionPane, JRadioButton, ActionListener, DocumentListener, FocusListener, ItemListener, ListSelectionListener, GridLayout, FlowLayout, BorderLayout, GridBagLayout, ToolTips, Icons, Debugging Messages, Multiple Look and Feels, POST and GET operations.

SwingML has been built entirely around an object oriented architecture and provides a flexible framework that can be extended to support custom made JFC Swing components or any other necessary feature. The SwingML specification is very simple and easy to understand and doesn't require any learning curve for developers with basic JFC Swing knowledge

Threaded Messages (7)

2. SwingML Beta 1.1 released[ Go to top ]

What are the benefits of using SwingML over the long-term bean persistence API?

Gal
  3. SwingML Beta 1.1 released[ Go to top ]

Please don't get confuse...
    SwingML and JSR57 are two complete different subjects. JSR57 is intended to provide Java Beans persistence while SwingML is intended to replace the use of HTML in the construction of web based gui for business apps.

JSR57 could be used for the same purpose but it is far more complex than SwingML.

For example with SwingML a button will be rendererd typing simply:

<BUTTON NAME="TestButton" TEXT="TestButton" />

and using JSR57 the same task will be as overwelming as:

<OBJECT ID="JButton0" CLASS="JButton">
            <OBJECT PROPERTY="bounds" CLASS="Rectangle">
              <OBJECT CLASS="Integer" VALUE="111"/>
              <OBJECT CLASS="Integer" VALUE="122"/>
              <OBJECT CLASS="Integer" VALUE="169"/>
              <OBJECT CLASS="Integer" VALUE="56"/>
            </OBJECT>
            <OBJECT PROPERTY="actionCommand" ID="String0" VALUE="JButton"/>
            <OBJECT PROPERTY="label" IDREF="String0"/>
            <OBJECT ID="DefaultButtonModel0" PROPERTYREF="model">
              <OBJECT PROPERTY="actionCommand"/>
            </OBJECT>
            <OBJECT PROPERTY="text" IDREF="String0"/>
          </OBJECT>
  4. SwingML Beta 1.1 released[ Go to top ]

I did not getting confused, not because I'm very smart, but simply because I had no idea what SwingML is so there was nothing for me to get confused about :)

Anyway, I had no intention of writing long-term bean persistence syntax myself to serialize beans (any more than I would write Java class files and byte-codes using a HEX editor). What I ment was, you can set up a Swing GUI with your favorite editor, then create a serialized version of it (just like you would create a serialized representation of a configured JavaBean). I'm just wondering what the advantages of using this new markup language are.

Gal
  5. SwingML Beta 1.1 released[ Go to top ]

No I'm not talking about "you" getting confuse... I should have been more specific. What I really must have said was
    "Please don't confuse SwingML and JSR57".... capisque?
    And by the way... your question was a very smart one! :)

Thanks
  6. SwingML Beta 1.1 released[ Go to top ]

this xml strategy is.. well.. terrible.
  7. SwingML Beta 1.1 released[ Go to top ]

Could you please elaborate more about the mean of "terrible"? I would appreciate any constructive advice with possible improvements, not only critics with no sense at all.
  8. SwingML Beta 1.1 released[ Go to top ]

The way I see it , Swing GUI takes its own sweet time to load. Adding an xml abstraction layer on top will only make it slower.

But this is just a guess. I havent tried SwingML yet !

Regards
    -manish