TheServerSide Presents 'Core JDO' Book Review Project

Discussions

News: TheServerSide Presents 'Core JDO' Book Review Project

1. TheServerSide is pleased to announce that it will be hosting a book review project for 'Core JDO' (Prentice Hall), an upcoming book by Keiron McCammon, Heiko Bobzin, Sameer Tyagi, and Michael Vorburger. Chapter 3, "Getting Started with JDO" is now available for download and review in PDF format.

Download and Review Chapter 3 "Getting Started with JDO"
  2. I haven't read it yet but I look forward to doing so.

It should be interesting to let a body of patterns and pitfalls develop around JDO. Since there aren't yet many people with high-end enterprise JDO experience this could serve people instead of their own experience and further the acceptance of JDO.

And if this book is in the "Sun Java Series" it could signal a more prominent role for JDO within J2EE. Which would be great, in my view.

Sincerely,
    Joost
  3. To me it seems rather unfortunate that the authors are mostly from OODBMs backgrounds. IMO, that introduces the danger of shutting out what I regard as one of the most relevant aspects of JDO - mapping to relational databases. If JDO gets the reputation of being slanted towards OODBMSs, It is doomed.

IMO, definitely.
    Christian
  4. I recall that Robert Roos posted his book on here some weeks ago. Why did we not have a project review of that book, or is there some publishing house bias going on here?
  5. TheServerSide Presents[ Go to top ]

Mike, if I were all-powerful or all-knowing, I would organize these things with every decent enterprise java related book in development.

Unfortunately, most publishers keep their book development plans secret, so I don't know what books are 'in development' unless the authors/publishers notify me about them.

So, there is no bias going on here. :) I welcome any java authors who are currently writing a book to contact TheServerSide to get their draft chapters reviewed.

Floyd
  6. Hi Mike

Yes, details of my book, "Java Data Object", were only posted on TSS when its availability in PDF as a completed work was announced.

To be honest it did not occur to me at the time to hold a public review. However in principle I think this is a good idea. I might employ a similar strategy for my next title, which I will consider making available solely through TSS as this site is capable of generating enormous interest in a short space of time.

I expect to release a point increment of the "Java Data Objects" PDF Edition shortly, including minor corrections. The source code archive to accompany the book is now available from www.OgilviePartners.com - go to "The JDO Book" and then select "Download Source JAR".

Kind regards, Robin.
  7. how is this new book (core jdo) different from your "Java Data Object", which was just published on 31 August 2002?
  8. Hi Bill,

In-line with the "Core" series of Java books our goal is to provide a comprehensive coverage of the JDO concepts and APIs as well as a practical guide to using JDO to build applications. The book will primarily cover building standalone Java and J2EE applications using JDO.

Cheers
     - Keiron
  9. Hi,

Well as one of the authors who has an ODB background all I can say is the focus of the book is all things JDO and this very much includes using RDBs. You are correct this the interest for most people.

All I can say is please do review the chapters and if you feel there is not enough information regarding using RDBs please tell us ;-)

Cheers
     - Keiron
  10. JDO is cross technology, since exists mapping for RDBMS and ODBMS. It's no a secret that an Object DBMS handles object better than Relational DBMS.

Anyone may choose your right technology in respect of previous investements and performance.

Probably ODBMS users know better Object mapping aspects than SQL hacker.

Dot. I don't want to start a flame thread about ODBMS vs RDBMS.

God save JDO ! :-)

bye,
    Luca Garulli
    Orient Technologies
    www.OrienTechnologies.com
  11. It's no a secret that an Object DBMS handles object better than Relational DBMS

not a secret - a myth. If "handle" means all aspects of persistent storage from end to end (which it should), I dont see OODBMSs anywhere near being a match for RDBMSs (in most scenarios I am aware of). If it means being able to store and retreive objects seamlessly, all I need is an interface (like JDO). But I sure am glad I still have the full power of SQL available if need be.

>Dot. I don't want to start a flame thread about ODBMS vs RDBMS

well, it still seems to be an unresolved issue. At least worth a few comments (like yours and mine). From here I'm outta this, too.

regards,
    christian