A first look at JavaServer Faces

Discussions

News: A first look at JavaServer Faces

1. A first look at JavaServer Faces (6 messages)

The early access draft of the JavaServer Faces (JSF) specification was released in September. JavaServer Faces, with a well-defined request processing lifecycle and a rich component hierarchy, will profoundly affect J2EE app development. In a new article on javaworld, David Geary introduces JSF and explores its fundamental concepts.

Read A first look at JavaServer Faces.

Also see the Hard Core Tech Talk interview with the former JSF spec lead Amy Fowler.

Threaded Messages (6)

2. A first look at JavaServer Faces[ Go to top ]

Trying to get my head around this JSTL/JSF/Webforms. Aren't they all just TagLibraries?

If so then surely there is the possibility to run a MS WebForms aspx document on a Java Web Server provided the TLD defines the tag names the same way as the .NET version?

[tone]
  3. A first look at JavaServer Faces[ Go to top ]

The demarcation for JSF is still not clear (or is it just me?). E.g. that part (validation rules) will be done by developer where the tool will do that part (listeners etc.).

Dmitry Namiot
    Coldbeans
  4. A first look at JavaServer Faces[ Go to top ]

I am wondering what rich component library you are talking about? From the preview release, this is exactly what is missing. There are no "rich components" and there is no clear component aggregation model. Also, I consider it a nuisance, that everyone is talking about how great this framework will integrate Struts rather than making it obsolete. If anything, it *should* make Struts obsolete, because Struts - while easy to learn and a good way to bring structure to an unstructured development process - goes pretty much against rapid application development and event based processing.

I am repeating myself, but if you want to have a look at what I think is a good standard for future Java Web Apps look at the iternum ui framework at www.iternum.com/i3test or visit our first full blown website based on this technology at http://www.sugarpoint.de (currently only in german, sorry).

Regards, Karl Banke
  5. A first look at JavaServer Faces[ Go to top ]

I am wondering what rich component library you are talking about? From the preview release, this is exactly what is missing <

I dont agree. JSF is a framework, and the components should be supplied by community/vendors. Building components on top of a well-defined, generic and extensible framework should be the easier (although tedious) job.

> If anything, it *should* make Struts obsolete, because Struts - while easy to learn and a good way to bring structure to an unstructured development process - goes pretty much against rapid application development and event based processing <

that makes sense IMO. But Struts is politically correct, so they have to cater for it.

Christian
  6. A first look at JavaServer Faces[ Go to top ]

I thought the spec had been hastily withdrawn after release?
  7. A first look at JavaServer Faces[ Go to top ]

I was looking through this article and was supprised to see something that resembled a prototype I developed - Validators. The difference was mine was used with Swing and the object itself provided this - not the UI or UI definition.

For another tool like this look at http://www.nextapp.com/products/echo/

I think I should be able to provide one descriptor 'file' (using a GUI to create it for those of us who need to get work done :) ) and the UI should be able to be Swing, SWT, HTML/Javascript or whatever. If my object provides the validator (i.e. Customer.getName().getValidator() ) then the UI can generate the appropriate UI stuff.