Opinion: ObjectWeb Consortium - the next Apache Group?

Discussions

News: Opinion: ObjectWeb Consortium - the next Apache Group?

1. I visited the ObjectWeb conference last week in France, Le Chesnay Cedex in near Paris and I was really amazed!

http://www.objectweb.org/conferences/2002/program.html

ObjectWeb consortium is organized similar with Apache group. They consist of some companies like France Telecom, Bull, also many universities and the national research institute in France INRIA.

They are specialized in the middleware technologies and implement the whole projects as components, which can be pluged-in within a container. So the componentbased software engineering is not only applied to application developments but also to system developements ;-)

I really amazed to see how the architecture of the whole projects are arranged. They build framework (Fractal) as a base of all their projects. On the top they build the whole middleware applications (EJB, CorbaComponent, etc.). ObjectWeb does not define a new spec. for their application (EJB container, CorbaComponent container, etc.), they just implement the current specs.

There are also many other *really cool* middleware technologies available:
    - ProActive: You can run many Java applications on different maschines and different JVMs and using drag&drop you can move one or other applications to other JVMs at the runtime. Pretty cool: Can you imagine to move the whole J2EE server on the runtime to other maschines? Or just copy the whole running J2EE server to other maschines for scalability?
    - C-JDBC: This is a really schock for me! (I'm not a middleware expert, I'm just an application developer ;-)) With C-JDBC you can cluster *any* JDBC database! C-JDBC uses the RAID concept (RAID 0, 1, 2) as we all know from the disk management. So if you have any Open Source database you can use C-JDBC to cluster them as long as the database has JDBC. If this project becomes mature, IMO, no need to use other big databases ;-) Just cluster your databases with C-JDBC! Emmanuel, this is a really cool work! (He and his team is also the one who wrote the performance comparison of JOnAS and JBoss).
    - Many others, just take a look at their website.

I imagine that one day we have a server which consists of EJB container (JOnAS), servlet container (Enhydra), CorbaComponent container (OpenCCM), C-JDBC, ProActive for "runtime" scalability, JDO (JORM), JMS (JORAM), etc... and you can plug-in everything you want... ;-)

IMO, ObjectWeb will be the next Apache, because the structure of their organization just similar with Apache. And one important thing: This is not "a one man or a one company show" organization. There are many organizations involve in this consortium and your organization can be a part of it ;-)

Summary:
    ObjectWeb Consortium will be the next Apache Group, because of some important facts:
    - The structure of their organization just similar with Apache: Consortium of many companies, universities, research agencies.
    - ObjectWeb is *not* "a one man or a one company show".
    - They are specialized in middleware technologies. All their projects consist only the middleware technologies. They don't make any new standards. They implement the standards with component-based Software Engineering.
    --
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Blasius Lofi Dewanto
    OpenUSS - Open University Support System
    http://openuss.sourceforge.net
    E-Mail : dewanto@uni-muenster.de
  2. Apache is where it is today in part due to some "Killer Apps". i.e httpd(The web Server), Tomcat, Struts and Ant, Xerces, ....
    The ObjectWeb technology is very cool as you mention but what in your opinion are ObjectWeb's killer apps?
    The idea is not to discuss the merits and demerits of Apache/Apache products so please try not to get into <Apache product> sucks, etc..
  3. PorActive looks very interesting.

Does anyone have experience with Active Objects? Are there other concepts like this out there for Java?

What do you think about the Active Object concept?

j f
  4. J-Orchestra provides even greater location transparency, at least so they claim.

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~yannis/j-orchestra/about.html

Also, I see some similarities between the ProActive stuff and what Microsoft does with COM+ and .NET Remoting, but I don't know enough of those technologies to go into any further detail... perhaps someone else can.
  5. This ProActive reminds me of a product thought to "revolutionize" distributed computing, intially it was free and then they started to charge for it, but it never really caught up with the industry.

Unfortunatelly I cannot remember the name of the vendor, but all this was possible already in '98, basically since Java came to the industry. The company actually developed into a CORBA company, but their intial product had a high coolness factor at the time: Application.move(ipAddress, port) :-)
  6. You are probably talking about ObjectSpace Voyager, which was pretty revolutionary for its time.

Interestingly enough, the creator (Graham Glass) of that product went on to form The Mind Electric, which puts out the GLUE Soap library, which also does some pretty nifty autogeneration and usage of distributed objects, in a SOAP framework.
  7. JONAS rocks. What a clean implementation. So easz to install, so scalable !!
    It is good to see Open Source J2EE platforms such as JBoss and JONAS. This gives a real alternative to expensive J2EE platforms.
    Way to go !!
  8. True - JOnAS is a very nice J2EE implementation. I've had no more problems with JOnAS than with WebLogic or WebSphere (and nothing that couldn't be solved), and it's really much easier to use.
  9. Don't understand me wrong. This should not be a comparison between the two organisations. I like Apache Group and its products (I really love Lucene Search Engine ;-)). I just want to inform you that there is another Open Source group out there, which also has very interesting products.

I myself use JOnAS and Enhydra for a long time and also love those products. Enhydra with its XMLC and SuperServlet. JOnAS with its JORAM (JMS), which is a very stable JMS platform. It's also great to hear from Alfred Madl that the next Enhydra will be servlet container independent...

It depends on how you define a killer application. For me there are *no* killer applications. I'm bit pragmatic here because I'm just an application developer not a system developer. It's just important that those applications work for my production site and easy to handle with good documentations.

I think, ObjectWeb also uses many good products of Apache (Tomcat, Ant, ...), no question here. The combination of both organisations could be the "real" Open Source Java solution.

Personally I would like to see C-JDBC to become more mature. If I can cluster any JDBC databases, then I would never ever need those big databases anymore ;-)

Lofi Dewanto.
  10. I know that this is the wrong place but I had to say something: Enhydra with its XMLC is the worst thing I came across in the last years of web-development. We had to take over a project which is based on enhydra and the entire is either upset or laughing about it.

Nevertheless I don't think that there is an Apache follower somewhere out there. The gap is too large for any other group to catch up.
    Your comparison is meaningless.
  11. <quote>
    Enhydra with its XMLC is the worst thing I came across...
    </quote>
    I'm sorry that you had a bad experience in Enhydra and XMLC. In contrary I had a very bad experience with some JSP/Servlet projects, that's why I went to Enhydra + XMLC (I'm not talking about Struts here, Struts is not comparable with Enhydra + XMLC. It's comparable with Barracuda). Anyway, bad projects can happen with any technologies. You can have Java projects which is in fact a chaos. No technologies can help for this.

<quote>
    Nevertheless I don't think that there is an Apache follower somewhere out there. The gap is too large for any other group to catch up.
    </quote>
    Never say never ;-)

Lofi Dewanto.
  12. C-JDBC:

It load-balances reads and broadcasts writes. For the latter you'd need full 2PC (XA). How is that realized?