Discussions

News: TierDeveloper 2.0 O/R Mapper Released

1. TierDeveloper 2.0 O/R Mapper Released (4 messages)

AlachiSoft has announced TierDeveloper 2.0, an object to relational mapping and code generation tool that generates fully-working EJBs (Session Beans and BMP/CMP Entity Beans). It also generates a JSP application to test the EJBs. WebLogic, WebSphere, JBoss, and Sun ONE are supported.

Check out TierDeveloper at AlachiSoft.com.

Press Release
    --------------------
    Rapid Development with TierDeveloper 2.0 (O/R Mapping)

AlachiSoft has announced TierDeveloper 2.0 that helps you rapidly develop your middle-tier objects in N-Tier Java/J2EE applications for BEA WebLogic, IBM WebSphere, JBoss, and Sun ONE. TierDeveloper is an object to relational mapping and code generation tool.

Download 30-day trial from http://www.alachisoft.com.

TierDeveloper lets you map middle-tier objects to your database tables, embed powerfulSQL in them, and generate fully-working EJBs (Session Beans and BMP/CMP Entity Beans). It also generates a fully-functional JSP application to let you test EJBs. You can also generate HTML-based design documents.

TierDeveloper simplifies the complexities of J2EE for you and lets you develop real-life complex J2EE applications in matter of days instead of months.

PLATFORMS SUPPORTED

- J2EE with BEA WebLogic
    - J2EE with IBM WebSphere
    - J2EE with Sun ONE
    - J2EE with JBoss
    - Java Objects on JSP/Servlet Engines
    - Microsoft .NET with C# and VB.NET

DATABASES SUPPORTED

- Oracle
    - IBM DB2
    - Microsoft SQL Server

Threaded Messages (4)

2. TierDeveloper 2.0 O/R Mapper Released[ Go to top ]

There's a free tool, middlegen, that generates java code against db tables (via jdbc). It generates EJB (CM 2.0), JDO, and JSP....why pay?
  3. TierDeveloper 2.0 O/R Mapper Released[ Go to top ]

Indeed. The only reason to pay would have been to support a wider range of app servers/DBs. But as DB they didn't even include support for MySQL which, I'm happy to say, In the first stable version of MySQL 4.X will clearly compete Oracle (there are already benchmarks to prove it) in terms of performance/stability, not to speak about other freaking DBs out there.
  4. My MySQL rant[ Go to top ]

<I>In the first stable version of MySQL 4.X will clearly compete Oracle (there are already benchmarks to prove it) in terms of performance/stability, not to speak about other freaking DBs out there</I>

Highly unlikely. This kind of claim is thrown around way too much.

- benchmarks don't prove anything, they are demonstrations
    - which benchmark?
    - benchmarking InnoDB? or MyISAM?
    - benchmarks measure stability?

MySQL does not reasonably compete with Oracle in many ways. MySQL+InnoDB is close, but there's a lot missing.

- no transactions without InnoDB (a commercial product)
    - no multi-version read consistency without InnoDB
    - no hot backup without InnoDB
    - no referential integrity (foreign keys) without InnoDB

But still:

- no views
    - no stored procs or triggers
    - no GIS data
    - no subqueries
    - no OLAP analytic functions
    - no hierarchial query predicates (connect by)

All of the above is "planned" for 4.1 and beyond so may come to fruition some day. But I'm not done yet.

- no fine-grained security (i.e. auto query-rewriting for data restrictions)
    - no materialized views
    - no cluster support for failover, parallel querying, load balancing
    - no partitioned tables for supporting large numbers of rows (billions)
    - no parallel query
    - no backup set management, it's all manual
    - no extent striping (i.e. you must use RAID)
    - much fewer choices in indexing (bitmap, reverse key, function-based, custom)

Sorry for the rant, this misguided confidence frustrates me. MySQL will get there some day, but that day isn't today.
  5. TierDeveloper 2.0 O/R Mapper Released[ Go to top ]

Well...Of course one pays for what meets ones requirements in a flexible and easy way. And that's what is provided by TierDeveloper, a flexible and easy to use interface, with no dependency on other tools. The MiddleGen makes use of XDoclet for code generation, whereas the TD provides a unified interface to carry on all the operations and to generate optimized code based on industry-standard design patterns without any overhead.