A Brief History of Novell

Discussions

News: A Brief History of Novell

1. A Brief History of Novell (7 messages)

In the 1980s, the name Novell was synonymous with fast, reliable file sharing. Its flagship NetWare product became the de facto standard for enterprise file sharing in personal computer networks. Last June, Novell acquired Silverstream Software and added a J2EE 1.3 server and webservices integration platform to its mix. An article on ZDNet tracks the companies history and future prospects.

Read Adding Java, taking on .Net Server.

Threaded Messages (7)

2. A Brief History of Novell[ Go to top ]

Breaking news! In the 1980s, the name Novell was synonymous with fast, reliable file sharing! What a scoop :)

Seriously, this article doesn't say much. The Silverstream purcahse is old news, and it's quite obvious that they would be targetting it for J2EE 1.3. Frankly, I'd be much happier to see Novell put their energy to producing a good app server rather than splitting up their efforts to include today's massively overhyped buzzword (web services, in case you were wondering :). Anyway I'd be surprised if Novell won some ground in the App server market. The article mentioned WebLogic and WebSphere, but open source servers also make very strong competition.

Gal
  3. A Brief History of Novell[ Go to top ]

I'm a MCNE (Master Certified Novell Engineer), I also have CIP certification... and I can't see a future to novell..

why not use an Linux with Jboss rather continuing with this company with an unsure future. or maybe an windows based server with jboss. .net, oracle, but not novell.

I can't see a reason to choose Novell as a base for my systems.
  4. A Brief History of Novell[ Go to top ]

'In the 1980s, the name Novell was synonymous with fast, reliable file sharing'

Novell is STILL synonymous with fast & reliable. I have found Novell to be almost ridiculously reliable and efficient. You never have to reboot them and they never seem to run out of horsepower (you don't have to actually physically upgrade the server every year).

Novell NDS and ZenWorks are also brilliant products.

The problem with Novell is that they can't seem to generate industry buzz. And the hardware support is going to die out sooner or later. I'd like to see them integrate a Linux kernel but keep the Novell file system, NDS and operating environment.

Jason.
  5. A Brief History of Novell[ Go to top ]

Oh, and check out this kuro5hin.org posting:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/4/10/12939/3809
  6. A Brief History of Novell[ Go to top ]

I used to code NLMs and can say that it was (and probably still is ) the fastest NOS. Too bad they wasted their energies on Corel and Unixware ,dreams that never came to be. But these mis-adventures cost them time and money and made them look silly.

Novell is still a great tecyhnology company!With Silverstream embedded, they have a great solution for SMEs. Its a great move!

Cheers!
  7. A Brief History of Novell[ Go to top ]

I beleave this is what most of the application server market is going now. First, Microsoft include Microsoft Transaction Server in their Window 2000 Server for free. Later Sun to include the iPlanent or Java One into their Solaris for free. Next, Novell. I beleave IBM will be doing the same thing as well in the future.

If you are working in a company with very tight budget, the company would rather choose to have a suite from one company rather than spending money to buy different product from other company. Maybe you suggust open source product like JBoss. I personally like JBoss, but the person who want to purchase is not me but the boss. He would rather have some vendor to provide the support.
  8. A Brief History of Novell[ Go to top ]

ENGJIN: "I beleave IBM will be doing the same thing as well in the future."

They already do. On the (formerly known as) AS-400 platform, all the software comes with the hardware, including OS (OS/400), database (DB/2 aka UDB), app server (WAS), web server, etc.

Midrange applications from companies like JDEdwards are very popular on these boxen.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Easily share live data across a cluster!