Discussions

News: Core JDO - Chapters on 'JDO and JDBC' and 'Transactions' Posted

1. The 'JDO and JDBC' chapter reviews the JDBC API and compares JDBC with JDO, discusses features and differences of each, and highlights common misconceptions. The 'Transactions' chapter discusses how transactions work with transparent persistence in JDO. It also outlines design considerations and practices when using JDO transactionally.

Download and Review Core JDO Chapter 11 on 'JDO and JDBC' and Chapter 9 on 'Transactions'
  2. I don't understand why would people abuse themselves reading a book chapter by chapter online for many weeks. There's a published book by Robin Roos on JDO, not bad at all. It's also available online in PDF. You can download it as whole and read, and print if you wish.
  3. Argyn,

'Core JDO' is a book-in-progress. The purpose of these chapter postings is to solicit public feedback.

I agree, posting a 'published' book chapter by chapter would be a painful exercise, but that's not what we're doing here; instead, we're giving people the opportunity to help in the writing of a book. :)

-Nitin
  4. instead, we're giving people the opportunity to help in the writing of a book. :)

I understand why you are doing this: it helps you to improve the book. It's fine. I don't understand those who read it, jumping from one chapter to another. If it were a whole book in PDF, I'd read too :)
  5. I don't understand why would people abuse

> themselves reading a book chapter by chapter
    > online for many weeks

It is a well-known technique in England... Charles Dickens' (one of the great English authors) books were published this way, and there are still magazines of in which you can, for example, build a robot one week at a time.

Don't worry about my abusing myself; I've got well-honed skills in skipping data that I decide I don't need to see :)

> There's a published book by Robin Roos on JDO,
    > not bad at all

Just so. But there's room for more books, so long as they present a new angle or new information.
  6. It is a well-known technique in England... Charles Dickens' (one of the great English authors) books were published this way, and there are still magazines of in which you can, for example, build a robot one week at a time.

Like watching "SOAP operas" on TV for free instead of buying the whole VHS set for $$$! :) I got it.
  7. Look, Argyn, with as painful name to say as it could be, STOP your B.S. now!!
    Don't worry about people abusing themselves blah blah..

These books are a recipe under development and review, not like your "SOAP Operas on TV" whose manuscripts are already done. Only experts review these books, not road-side inexperienced developers like you who look at these books as FREE MATERIAL to chew on and grow!! Duh.... Grow up Agryn or Argyn or whoever....
  8. Only experts review these books, not road-side inexperienced developers like you who look at these books as FREE MATERIAL to chew on and grow!!

I see that reading FREE chapters makes you feel like THE EXPERT. Then I've to disappoint you, not ONLY experts read them. Also, some experts prefer to read specifications themselves.

your brutally INEXPERIENCED friend,
    Argyn
  9. The peer review system has been in existence for centuries. It has proven value.