Discussions

News: Hard Core Tech Talk with Christophe Ebro on JMX

1. Hard Core Tech Talk with Christophe Ebro on JMX (7 messages)

In this interview, Christophe discusses the Java Management Extensions (JMX) API, the problems it solves and how a developer can use it. He looks at the three types of MBeans, how JMX can be used to manage J2EE servers, related tools and technologies that will develop around it, and the future of JMX in the J2EE spec.

Watch Christophe Ebro's Interview Here

Christophe was the JMX spec lead at the time of this filming.

Threaded Messages (7)

2. viewing under linux[ Go to top ]

How can I view the video on Linux? Why not create a mpeg or divx format so that it can be viewed cross platform? Having these video only accessible for Windows client is very unbecoming of a J2EE portal.
  3. view the interview in linux[ Go to top ]

yeah, why are all these streams only for wintendo?
  4. "He looks at the three types of MBeans"

Aren't there 4 types of MBeans (standard, dynamic, model, open) ? Or is it just that the open MBean is not specified enough to be considered a true MBean ?

Now I'll have to listen to the interview...

Yann
  5. The SNMP code generation for JMX sounds really nice. Doing this by hand is pretty discouraging for now and cannot seriously be considered for custom applications. I'm very curious to see how the spec and the future reference implementation will handle this.

Also, I did not know JMX was part of J2SE 1.5...

By the way, the interview contains a pretty good reference for JBoss-MX. I haven't tried programming with it yet so that's one more thing in the pipeline now.

Carry on ze good work. ;)

Yann
  6. ...you are right there are technically 4. But the spec originally did not fully specify open MBeans. The spec itself openly admits it and does not require anyone to support them. Version 1.1 of the spec fully specified them and made them optional. Version 1.2 makes them mandatory.

However, because of this, they are somewhat less used than the other three types.

Chz

Tony
  7. What a waste of time![ Go to top ]

I read EVERY Q&A in this interview and still don't have the foggiest idea of what JMX does or why anyone needs it. This guy talks like a Dilbert marketing executive. He didn't offer one single example. Not one! All I can figure out is that it uses beans to monitor...something.

What a complete waste of time.
  8. RE: What a waste of time![ Go to top ]

You need to read up on the subject then. In a nutshell, JMX gives you a way of allowing your applications to be managed. You could for instance, expose methods to allow your worker threads to be suspended, or shut down. Or you could initiate a meta-data cache flush, that kind of thing.

The spec lets you instrument that in such a way that it's easy to make your application manageable. Each implementor currently has their own way of allowing management consoles such as Tivoli or MMC to connect in to their framework, but these are evolving and soon it will be easy to make your own applications manageable by whatever enterprise management system (EMS) a company uses to manage all it's other systems like Sybase, Oracle etc.

And if you think it's a waste of time, then steer clear of JBoss. It's entire architecture is built as a micro-kernal, using JMX as the basis. From what I can tell (I haven't used JBoss myself but a lot of people I respect have done) it's a solid product which performs well.

Seriously, go read about it (the spec itself is fairly readable) and you'll get the idea.

HTH

Chz

Tony