Discussions

News: Open For Business 2.0 Released

1. Open For Business 2.0 Released (15 messages)

The Open For Business Project released version 2.0 of its open source business automation tools, components, and applications. This is the first stable release of the project, whose core framework consists of the following tools: Entity Engine, Service Engine, Workflow Engine, Rule Engine, XML Mini-Languages, and a web application framework.

Check out Open for Business 2.

More info
    ---------------------
    Organizations using OFBiz can shorten enterprise information project cycles by months through a well designed architecture and corresponding framework and through pre-built components and applications.

The goal of the Open For Business project is to provide useful, standards compliant tools and applications. These standards will include: XML; J2EE; WfMC; BPML; ebXML; UNSPSC; GAAP & FASB; OMG's GL, Party, Workflow, etc; ArapXML; OAGIS; and many others.

The OFBiz Core Framework consists of the following tools: Entity Engine, Service Engine, Workflow Engine, Rule Engine, XML Mini-Languages, and a web application framework.

Applications and application components (including
    entities and services) in the project cover the following business areas: e-commerce, products, orders, parties, facilities, work efforts, content, marketing, accounting, human resources, and so forth.

The most mature and deployed application in the suite is
    the e-commerce application with functionality that measures up to the largest available commercial alternatives and many live sites, including the award-winning ReturnBuy.com site
    (see http://www.internetretailer.com/article.asp?id=8137 )

Other OFBiz applications and components are stable and
    being used by various organizations and in various commercial products. More details are available on the website.

OFBiz has received great attention in the open source and IT communities. The project has been featured on SourceForge and release notices have appeared on FreshMeat.net, TheServerSide.com, and JavaLobby.org. The SourceForge project site shows around 100,000 downloads and 700,000 page views. Dozens of users of the project have contributed feedback, new ideas and even code and designs. Special thanks to the many users who have contributed to the project. Without user contributions the project could not be what it is today.

QUESTION: What is the scope of the OFBiz applications, and how will vertical markets be targeted?

ANSWER: We realize that we cannot target all functionality that will be needed by all organizations, or even all markets or industries. Our goal for the applications and application components is to include as much generic functionality as possible. This will allow many medium and large size organizations to get something useful running quickly and make it possible to concentrate resources on organization specific customizations. Software companies will be able to affordably create products for narrowly targeted markets or industries and spend time and effort on the needs of that market or industry instead of all of the generic functionality and framework components that can be generalized among all users of the software.

QUESTION: If there are no licensing fees or corporate backing for OFBiz, how is the development and support of the project financed?

ANSWER: The project is financed by providing for the needs of users of the project. This is done by offering services such as analysis, design, implementation, customization, training, mentoring, support and even prioritization of planned features. Much of the functionality in the project has been paid for by commercial adopters of the project and the rest has been contributed by generous developers from their own personal time. For more information on services offered, see the OFBiz.org Services Page at http://www.ofbiz.org/services.html

QUESTION: This seems like a pretty big project, how much of it is actually done, or rather how far along are the various
    components and applications?

ANSWER: At this point all of the framework components are very stable, and many of the applications are too. This is why we have chosen to do the 2.0.0 final release. From here on out releases will be done more incrementally as the current framework and applications are improved. The e-commerce and related applications such as the Party, Order, and Catalog managers are the most stable and mature. Following close behind is the Facility Manager which handles all aspects of warehouse and inventory management. The Work Effort Manager has many useful pieces in place, but there is still a lot of work to do there. Other applications such as Accounting and Content Management have only recently been started. The Data Model is very complete and mature. It has been reviewed and improved dozens of times and by many different people. It is cleaner in the areas where corresponding applications and components are implemented, but we have put a great deal of effort into making sure that there was a master plan for the data model that would not have to change much as applications are added or improved.

Threaded Messages (15)

2. Good work[ Go to top ]

I check your product quite regularly. I install it to discover new features and learn from it.

It gets better and better. Great job!
  3. business process engine projects[ Go to top ]

FYI,

These are all the opens source workflow projects I'm aware of :
    * jBpm : http://jbpm.org
    * OBE : http://www.openbusinessengine.org/
    * OSWorkflow : http://www.opensymphony.com/osworkflow
    * Ofbiz : http://www.ofbiz.org/
    * Powerfolder : http://www.powerfolder.org/

I'm preparing a small overview of those projects and the related standards. When it's finished, hopefully Floyd will publish it here (on TSS).

Regards, Tom.
  4. business process engine projects[ Go to top ]

That's a great idea, I'll be waiting impatiently for your review.

Thanks
  5. business process engine projects[ Go to top ]

I'll ask the input of the other projects first and if they agree, it will be a joint publication. Thanks for your patience.
  6. One more workflow framework[ Go to top ]

You could add werkflow to your list of workflow frameworks to check out.

Is anyone on TheServerSide using ofbiz on a commercial project? If so, how well does the framework satisfy your needs?
  7. Hi Tom -

Maybe you could post your workflow reviews in the reviews section. Then we can work with you on it there.

Dion
  8. business process engine projects[ Go to top ]

Great, I also look forward to this comparative article.

I'd like to see an easy-to-use webapp-oriented workflow engine. I had a look at OSWorkflow, but it's too abstract and generic for my liking.
  9. business process engine projects[ Go to top ]

If you ask me, you'll want jBpm. Check out the online demo ! It shows the web-app that is included.

I must admit my advice cannot be regarded as independant because I'm a jBpm member. But check it out anyway :-)
  10. business process engine projects[ Go to top ]

I like jBPM and like the great job you've in explaining what it does. And this project seems to have a good focus.

Kudos!
  11. anyone in WAS[ Go to top ]

anyone use Websphere and this tool??
  12. Meaningful task[ Go to top ]

Waiting for your result. I think it will very useful.
  13. Have you published on TSS - various workflow engines??? if yes pls let me know the articel URL pls.

Thanks
  14. Experience with OFBIZ?[ Go to top ]

Hi,

has anyone some experience wirh OfBiz? Any realized projects?
  15. Struts + Ofbiz[ Go to top ]

Has anybody used Struts as a web framework in front of Ofbiz? We've used Struts in house a lot and would like to try out many of the components within Ofbiz like workflow and rules engine. Of course we would like to reuse our existing knowledge in Struts as well. Cheers.

James
  16. I have several issues....[ Go to top ]

You really really need a picture on your website, one that shows exactly what the hell it is you do.

I've currently got the time to dive into the latest and greatest 'stuff' for a week or so, which is weblogic7, jboss 4, Tomcat 4, struts (again), the newest IntelliJ and Eclipse. Also Mysql and the new java connector....

Then I have the choice of some time on 'frameworks', and automation tools. Oracle, IBM and BEA seem to be grabbing loads more functionality, and JBoss is saying they are going to layer proprietary stuff over CMP, and IBM are fighting against Swing....

It's a hectic world, and when I take a look at your site, I spend about 20 minutes before finding:

'OFBiz is a large complex system that is configured and programmed using file editing. There is no nifty IDE for OFBiz (Not yet anyways). To program the system you must understand fairly well how it works. As such the OFBiz system has a very steep learning curve'

And the author then spends 5 DAYS getting to the persistance engine (I skimmed) it, and the persistance engine uses key/value and ignores all the OR standard technologies. So, err, you guys made up your own? And yours is superior to the standards because you have done lots of schema?

Sorry, but I have no more time for your framework. BUT ADD SOME PICTURES! I want to see a pretty picture of the pre-built components, and a pretty picture of the software layers DOMINATING a newbie area.

BTW, I'm just trying to be helpful, because lots of people are like me and need convincing that overall I will save time/money, and be future proof.

Jonathan