Discussions

General J2EE: JBoss information

1. JBoss information (1 messages)

By now hopefully you'll be aware that we at Wrox have published a JBoss 3.0 book. Now I'm not interested in discussing the relative merits of that title but rather the debate seems to suggest that there is some desire for more information about JBoss.

Therefore, I'd be interested in hearing what you still want to know about working with JBoss or have all your needs been covered by what information is available already?

Either post here or you can contact me off-list at craigb at wrox dot com.

Cheers
  2. Craig,

I appreciate the new title. But, frankly spoken, I believe that it is not enough that a new book is published for JBoss. It's not a question if there are a dozen of brilliant books available for JBoss or not. It's a question of tenor and philosophy of the development crew whether you can get your stuff up and running using JBoss or not:

1) Agreed, it's understandable that the JBoss folks want to earn money. We all have to earn our living. But it's a nuisance that they want people to buy their books, and then they offer a free "Quick Start Guide" where they talk a lot about developing your own RAR or SAP JCA adapter, and do not tell newbies what they REALLY need in 10 sentences (e.g. how to configure their own database). Is it really smart to chin-wag about JAAS adapter realms when the ONLY question people have for "getting started" is: Hey guys, tell me where the hell do I have to enter JDBC driver/URL/usr/pwd? So: Why should I ever spend a few bucks for a book about software made by people who are not capable (or willing!) of including 100 lines of useful ASCII-README-text in the source code?

2) Agreed, a good in-depth documentation is vital for a complex system such as a J2EE server. But it does not help you at all when the only thing you need for detecting the foolish typo you made in the JNDI lookup code is a primitive commandline-, web- or whatever-based JNDI browser. Instead of providing a few simple tools for this kind of problems, you get a fat JMX architecture with a ridiculous webfrontend, which indeed you can never ever understand in reasonable time without some kind of good documentation.

3) Agreed, developers do not have the time and nerves to answer all silly questions of people who are not capable of reading a few lines of README, FAQ or javadoc. But it is really amazing how many questions are left unanswered in the JBoss forums. Asses this fact as disrespectful behavior towards the JBoss developer community.

4) Agreed, we are talking about enterprise-level applications. This is not a happy hunting ground for juniors. Admitted, they have the best and most simple deployment procedure of all J2EE servers out there, and they have an excellently clean directory layout. But: The JBoss developers decided to define an XML-vocabulary for the system configuration which can only be understood by Java developers with a long mileage in a couple of J2EE APIs. This is a major mistake. No real-world sysadmin thinks in terms of MBeans and JAAS realms when he wants to configure a database connection or enforce a security policy. JBoss forces you to engange development personnel for sysadmin tasks!