Discussions

EJB design: EJBs and Thread management

1. EJBs and Thread management (4 messages)

I know that the EJB specification forbids an EJB from creating or managing threads, but what about blocking? For example, I have a bean that needs to add an item to a shared Queue. The custom add method for the queue is synchronized, so is this okay for the bean to call?

Thanks.

Threaded Messages (4)

2. EJBs and Thread management[ Go to top ]

The answer to your question lies in the question :
    Can I use java.util.vector in EJBs . All its methods are synchronized .

J2EE spec does not prohibit from accessing sync. methods. It only prohibits starting , susoending threads from the ejb methods .

hope it helps
    thanx and regards
    Prajakt
  3. EJBs and Thread management[ Go to top ]

Prajakt,

I agree with your bottom line. However, this:
    <prajakt>
    J2EE spec does not prohibit from accessing sync. methods. It only prohibits starting , susoending threads from the ejb methods.
    </prajakt>

Is not completely true. Except for the rule forbidding EJBs from doing thread management, there is also a rule that sais:
    <spec>
    An enterprise Bean must not use thread synchronization primitives to synchronize execution of multiple instances.
    </spec>

This rule is somewhat open for interpretation. For a discussion of this issue see:
    http://www.theserverside.com/discussion/thread.jsp?thread_id=17449
  4. EJBs and Thread management[ Go to top ]

yes , synchronizing (ejb) methods is alos not allowed .
  5. EJBs and Thread management[ Go to top ]

Parjakt,

I disagree with your interpretation of the spec. The link I posted contains a pretty broad explanation of that, so I won't repeat it here.

Gal