P6Spy 1.0 Released

Discussions

News: P6Spy 1.0 Released

1. P6Spy 1.0 Released (7 messages)

P6Spy is an open source framework for applications that intercept and optionally modify database statements. P6Spy includes P6Log, an application that intercepts and logs the database statements of any application that uses JDBC. This application is particularly useful for developers to monitor the SQL statements produced by EJB servers, enabling the developer to write code that achieves maximum efficiency on the server. P6Spy installs in minutes and requires no code changes to applications.

Having emerged from a 6 month beta cycle, P6Spy 1.0 is a major overhaul of P6Spy and includes both a complete rewrite of the driver architecture and many new, highly requested features such as support for JDK 1.4, DataSources, log4j, JBoss 3.x, and WebSphere.

P6Spy is available for download at http://www.p6spy.com

Threaded Messages (7)

2. Small but powerfull[ Go to top ]

I used P6Spy a while ago on a project. It was one of the best utilities that I discovered at that time.

Good utilities are small and powerfull and easy to use. This is definatly one of them.
  3. Hi Jan,

Have you tried out JDBInsight 1.2? Inspired

JDBInsight's visualization of performance, database schema and transaction data is unmatched. Its also has a competitive price.

The next release of JDBInsight, 1.5, will be out in March 2003. This will include support for Java code profiling (JDBC drivers) as well as some fantastic information visualization graphics (Java->JDBC->SQL->Database).

I would hope that you find Inspired's products well designed, powerful and easy to use.

Regards,

William Louth (william dot louth at jinspired dot com)
    CTO / Product Architect
    Inspired

Tune With Insight
    www.jinspired.com
  4. Well, Inspired is also a very exciting tool, but as it's commercial, not so easy to abtain a demo license, while 6Spy is absolutely free, small and good enough, I like the latter better.
  5. Cheers![ Go to top ]

I installed, configured and tested it in under 3 minutes.
    This is a very nice tool.
    Cheers!
  6. Check out IronEye SQL.[ Go to top ]

There's a free trial version of a tool called IronEye SQL based on p6spy that you would probably like. It's at www.irongrid.com.
  7. Try Elvyx ...[ Go to top ]

We were using p6spy and IronGrid but we could not find the IronGrid code to fix some bugs. Then, we started implementing a client for p6spy and we finished implementing the full solution. This application is Elvyx and can be downloaded from: http://www.elvyx.com I think this tool could be useful to the community. Armando ;-) http://www.elvyx.com
  8. Wonderful utility..[ Go to top ]

This is a great tool for quick debugging, tracing, and seeing what the heck is going on. Its an easy way to look at the generated SQL of your EJB/JDO environment, to trace problems, or just to get a feel for your round trip database traffic.

There are other tools around that give you lots more features, but sometimes you just need to see whats going on, and this does it will.