Announcing TheServerSide Symposium, June 27-29, Boston

Discussions

News: Announcing TheServerSide Symposium, June 27-29, Boston

1. TheServerSide is pleased to announce TheServerSide Symposium, a limited-attendance J2EE technical conference running the June 27-29 weekend in Boston, MA. This is THE J2EE event to attend for the year. We've assembled a group of speakers comprised of people making a difference in the enterprise industry including spec leads, open source project committers, book authors, expert group members, and more.

Just take a look at who is speaking at the Symposium:

-People defining the J2EE platform and related technology. J2EE spec lead Mark Hapner, Web Services JSR 109 Lead Jim Knutson, and other expert group members.

-Major open source project committers/founders. Apache Cactus founder and Struts committer Vincent Massol, OpenSympony Group founder/core-developer Mike Cannon-Brooks, Apache Ant/Tomcat author James Davidson, and others.

-Authors of important enterprise development books. More than 12 book authors including Agile/OO writer Scott Ambler, Core J2EE Patterns author John Crupi, Mastering EJB author Ed Roman, Erik Hatcher, Mark Grand, Rod Johnson, and others.

-Independent Evangelists and influential research analysts. TheServerSide.com creator Floyd Marinescu, Java Lobby founder Rick Ross, patterns expert Kyle Brown, Giga Information Group VP of Research Randy Heffner, web services strategist Anne Thomas Manes, and others.

If you're thinking about benefiting from this incredible show, you should register by Feb 28th. This is a limited (500 person event)! You'll save $500 and you'll get to choose from over 15 books written by J2EE experts speaking at the show and meet them in person to get a personally autographed copy.

In the coming months, there will be more symposium related announcements here. TSS, this is your conference!

Checkout http://www.theserverside.com/symposium.

I hope to meet you there,

Floyd Marinescu
    Director of TheServerSide.com
    Author, EJB Design Patterns

ps - feedback about the show is also appreciated. We've mostly finalized the speaker/topics list, but any suggestions of special events we could have here would be great.

Threaded Messages (28)

2. Are they the ones who helped you to do the PetShop Benchmark?? After such embarrasing mistake I would not say an event sponsored by TSS is THE J2EE event. TSS need to re-gain credibility...
  3. Roberto, please re-check your information. TSS was not involved in the benchmark and had no role in it other than that of a neutral reporter. This has already been discussed at length in other threads.

As for the conference, let the credibility of the speakers and the topics they are covering speak for themselves. There's only one talk at the show 'about' TSS anyway. :)

Floyd
  4. Floyd,

Indeed, please check your facts! As the Director of Business Development for JBoss, the fact that I have no idea who Bob Lee is yet you use him to advertise your conference is interesting. I may have seen him post a message or two on our forums, but the lead developer of JBoss AOP is Bill Burke.

Before you try to use someone's brand and name to advertise your conference, please check your facts. Look on the Jboss team page, you will not see Bob Lee.
  5. Ben, thanks for mentioning a potential mistake. Bob's bio states "Bob Lee is the author of the jAdvise AOP framework and is a jBoss committer, where he is focusing on adding AOP to the next version of jBoss 4.". From what I understand (and I could be wrong), his jAdvise AOP framework is a basis for what is going into the next version of jBoss. Thats why we used the word 'lead', as it is a leading role. I assure you there's nothing malicious going on, and I don't appreciate the insinuation. Please email me at floyd at theserverside dot com to continue this discussion.
  6. Really ...[ Go to top ]

Better yet, why don?t you keep it on the thread? As far as I can see, the symposium page still remains unchanged. Clearing up the facts would be appropriate.

TLK.
  7. Ben,

It seems you were correct, I misunderstood Bob's jBoss role. His bio has been corrected, thanks.

Floyd
  8. very very impressive![ Go to top ]

This looks like a very impressive show. Most of the conferences I've been too only have a handful of technically interesting talks and important speakers. Rarely are such interesting and current topics such as these covered.

At this show it will be tough to decide which talks to go to. Sign me up!
  9. Roberto Calero La Torre,
    The TSS doe this comunity great service and it reports on the good sides and bad sides of J2EE. When they report on bad sides, J2EE thends to become better.

Every report on EJB performance is the same, have you seen the others? Also most reports show J2EE faster than .NET when J2EE is used with out EJB.

When a sales person sells you EJB as fast, reliable or easy, they get comi$ion out of it, and sell you a lot of HW. So either the sales guy is lying, or the engineers are laying.
    In general, the less techonlogy you usee the bettter.

If you selected EJB's in your design, then you should be embarrassed. You did not have the full facts.
    .V
  10. And how is this related to the topic of this thread?
  11. Instead of going here go to the JBoss Bootcamp, or one of the other JBoss related meeting that will be coming up this year. I just went to the bootcamp and it was the best $500 I ever spent.

Steve
  12. Come on Vic....[ Go to top ]

Vic,

I worked for the last 3 years with Borland as a performance engineer for BES customers and I do not think that the people that selected EJB should be embarassed because they picked EJB. What they might be embarassed about is how badly they have designed/implemented their system and components.

I come from a CORBA background (VisiBroker) and feel that EJB in the right hands is a powerful combination. EJB in the wrong hands is a disaster sure to happen both for the customer and the industry (J2EE). The difference between EJB and CORBA is that EJB delays the inevitable somewhat wheras CORBA kills you off very quickly if you do not know what you are doing.

By the way my first system built in 1999 with CMP 1.1 had great performance and scalability characteristics. I modelled a voice network system (yes complex oo model) and could determine a call's route through switches (routing tables.....) in under 50-100ms - this includes the swing renderering, roundtrip to server and many, many focused database calls.

If you know what you (ejbs) and the container are doing it works.

William Louth
    CTO / Product Architect
    Inspired
  13. JBoss People, Chill Out![ Go to top ]

I think I speak for many in the community when I say chill out! The arrogance and unprofessionalism is remarkable. I'm coming to TSS less and less these days, not because of the benchmark, but because of the never ending emotional banter from the JBoss camp. This is software religion at its best, and you know what??? The products backed by the religious zealots, who can never accept another way, always looses.

Enterprise software requires a lot of process, trust, and reliability of an organization. Based on your daily childlike behavior, I'm predicting that the tipping of the JBoss house of cards is just on the horizon.

Grow up or get out of the way! Some of us have work to do.

Harvey
  14. and then talk of taking over the world ....

JBOSS documentation still sucks .. worst ever i have ever come across .... Ohh I wish Apache guys came up with a nice EJB container.
  15. JBoss People, Chill Out![ Go to top ]

<harvey>
    I'm predicting that the tipping of the JBoss house of cards is just on the horizon.
    </harvey>

you are funny. Can we get a pool going on TSS?

I am predicting JBoss world domination on the horizon.
  16. The Writing on the Wall[ Go to top ]

Harvey,
    From reading their posts on other threads neither Steve Lewis nor Rolf Tollerud appear to have any affiliation with JBoss. Ben Sabrin who does simply posted a correction about the symposium speaker.

As for JBoss advocates, it's not about religion, it's a market proposition: high-quality, free software. As for the process, trust and reliability of an organization, large scale, successful open source projects provide all that--from the code base, to the testing, to the Q&A you get with millions of downloads. The more likely analogy for a house of cards is a struggling proprietary software provider in a rapidly commoditizing market.

Luce
  17. The Writing on the Wall[ Go to top ]

<Harvey Allen>
    Enterprise software requires a lot of process, trust, and reliability of an organization. Based on your daily childlike behavior, I'm predicting that the tipping of the JBoss house of cards is just on the horizon. Grow up or get out of the way! Some of us have work to do.
    </Harvey Allen>

We had a guy like you at my last job. We called him the hammer. Thing was the guy spent more time with his checklists and less time writing code.

I work in a small shop now and it is amazing how much more work can be done by a few bright individuals when you get rid of the hammer. Our clients want results not process. They want responsiveness not process. They want Customized solutions not process. They want reliability, scalability, not process.

The hammer lives in a world that gets passed by time and time again.

We can afford license fees but we advise our clients to use Jboss simply because it is better. Anybody can be a container developer with Jboss. You can't do that anywhere else. The customization is endless. The flexibility provided takes you to another level of development.

Don't let the marketing shape your reality. You don't need a heavy process but an evolutionary one.

get rid of the hammers and things get done.

back to the topic. The quality of the speakers is pretty good. I was fortunate enough to see some presentatiions by Erik hatcher recentlly and they were top notch.
  18. JBOSS and EJB[ Go to top ]

... are for technolgiests, IMO.
    (not personal, but some call those bit-heads, people that do techonolgy for the sake of techonlogy)

Anyone can build a web app! Using JBOSS/EJB.
     A sofware Engineer can do it faster and cheaper with less operating cost.
    As others said, you should seek to do as little as possible, and help your organization save money and generate revenue.

By doing something complex, you just make it more complex, which leads to programers looking for jobs, since your are not contributing to your organization.

Once there is a business problem, you should find a simplest / cheapest solution. (DAO for example)

Here is the formula: If you do not need CORBA, you do not need EJB, you do not need JBOSS.

Use Tomcat or Resin.

<FLAME text="Do you see all the bad e-mail on EJB and in Google? Why do people do JDO, Hibrenate, Ibatis, etc. etc. Becuase EJB = FUBAR. If you do use EJB, including JBOSS, the likey result is that PHB will go to .NET becuase he will see J2EE as waste of time" />

Full money back on my opinion.

.V
  19. Enough with the EJB bashing...[ Go to top ]

Vic,

I think everyone who visits TSS has got the message now - that you sould only use EJBs when they are really required.

<quote>
    Here is the formula: If you do not need CORBA, you do not need EJB, you do not need JBOSS.
    </quote>

This formula is not quite correct - there are other perfectly valid reasons for using EJBs:

1. If you need remote access to your components over RMI/IIOP from a non-web client. (OK so web services style remoting may fill could fill this role, but for now this seems a valid reason)

2. If you need greater scalability than a web app can offer then a distributed EJB app using stateless session EJBs DOES offer this.

3. If you need asynchronous methods then Message-driven EJBs offer by far the easiest way to implement this.

<quote>
    <FLAME text="Do you see all the bad e-mail on EJB and in Google? Why do people do JDO, Hibrenate, Ibatis, etc. etc. Becuase EJB = FUBAR. If you do use EJB, including JBOSS, the likey result is that PHB will go to .NET becuase he will see J2EE as waste of time" />
    </quote>

I think people use JDO, Hibernate, Ibatis, etc. etc. because they have issues with entity beans in particular, rather than with EJB in general. In fact many people use these alternative persistence solutions in conjunction with session EJBs, and this is a perfectly reasonable solution in many cases. How many times do I have to hear people damn EJBs just because they have an issue with entity beans...

Regards,
    Gavin
  20. Some citations from the JBoss cite:

JBoss 4.0 will take you beyond J2EE..
    our goal is to make JBoss a lightweight application framework..
    JBoss 4.0 will also provide an Aspect Oriented Framework..
    you'll be able to take advantage J2EE-like functionality for plain old Java objects..

Looks good to me (lightweight framework nam nam..). And best of all is how angry Sun is going to be.. If this works this will be the new de facto standard, no matter what Sun do. Open source take over the standard from Sun - give their own certifications too!

hi hi..

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  21. What is the basis for your remark...

"If you selected EJB's in your design, then you should be embarrassed. You did not have the full facts."

Embarrassed for using EJB's? Or embarrassed for making a buy decision based on misinformation?

EJB != slow or failure

There is a cost benefit analysis that needs to be factored in based on the requirements of the system being designed. EJB isn’t always necessary. That’s a design decision.

J2EE is not a waste of time if used properly and not just “Anyone” can create a webapp. The “Anyone”s of the world is the reason why so many systems (web or other) are poorly designed.

Judging from your postings and the reviews of you book, I guess “Anyone” can write a book about web development these days.

The simplest, fastest and cheapest usually results to higher maintenance costs in the long run.

My guess is that you have spent too much time with startups playing Architect and too little time developing real world systems.

My opinions don’t come with money back guarantee… But maybe your book should.

Darrell
  22. Well, interesting idea, symposium is good idea, but please don't repeat benchmark kind of nonsense drama. Also if you have any credibility, avoid specific vendor based marketing such as BEA Systems. Nobody wants to see some kids from a middle level company such as BEA jumping in your Symposium and marketing their product. If you have any generic idea how do you select speakers in your Symposium you should publish it before the Symposium cuz that will help Java engineers all over America to know that you guys are not planning another pet Store benchmark drama kind of event.

Thanks
    A Java Engineer
  23. T Q, all the content that will be presented at the symposium is public and you can see it by clicking around the agenda section of the symposium. This is not a show where you will find marketing guys presenting, just look at the agenda, it 'speaks' for itself. :) About your question regarding how we chose speakers, since this is a small event there was no public papers. TheServerSide personally invited (and is still inviting) key people to speak at the show.

Floyd
  24. TSS no credibility[ Go to top ]

I think falsely marketing jBoss doesn't help us readers rebuild credibility in TSS.

We make it a nice forum but the expertise is nill (petstore) and the marketing misleading.

Yes indeed, I agree with the first post, how about TSS rebuilds credibility and invites someone really from jBoss.

jBoss is really a brand a good speaker would be a treat.
  25. TSS no credibility[ Go to top ]

Brian, I do feel a JBoss presense at the show is of value. I'm talking to Mr. Fleury about options.
  26. The following is an extract from the Candle Sponsored Whitepaper:

<extract>

int len = str.length();
    for (int j = 0; j < len; j++) {
    }

The loop on the right [above here] can be improved even more by changing the loop to count backwards. The JVM is optimized to compare to integers between -1 and +5. So rewriting a loop to compare against 0 will produce faster loops. So for example, the loop on the right [above here] could be changed to use the following for loop instruction:

for(int j = len; j >= 0; j--)

</extract>

Can someone tell me is the last loop really the same as the first in terms of range?

Regards,

William Louth
    CTO / Inspired
    Inspired
    Inspired
  27. Good one :-)
    May be they should test all their apps with :

<BR>String str = new String();

--Kumar.
  28. Shouldn't it be:

for(int j = len-1; j >= 0; j--)

?