Survey Pegs Microsoft, IBM, Oracle as top Web Services Players

Discussions

News: Survey Pegs Microsoft, IBM, Oracle as top Web Services Players

1. Gartner has released results from a couple of surveys they ran late last year. When asked about the "top three" web services platforms they had planned on ramping up on, 58% of systems integrators said .NET, 40% IBM, and 31% Oracle. In a separate survey pegged of enterprises (clients of systems integrators), 39% planned to use J2EE, and 33% planned to use .NET.

The full reports are for-pay, so the results for BEA are not readily available.

Interestingly, Gartner inferred from the survey results that smaller companies tended to favor Microsoft.Net and large companies tended to favor J2EE architectures and products.

Read Big Surprise: Microsoft, IBM, Oracle Deemed Top Players In Web Services (ZDNet), and Gartner Dataquest Survey Identifies the Leading Web Services Products that Systems Integrators Plan to Support in 2003.

Threaded Messages (27)

2. The Analysts Strike Again...[ Go to top ]

I use WebLogic Server 7.0 + Workshop and love it. I benchmarked WebSphere and Oracle9iAS and they weren't close. Between the tools and performance, I was sold (although it took weeks of work to come to this decision).

Harvey
  3. this survey is as good as stock market[ Go to top ]

looks like there is truth , but no one knows what the same numbers will be next week / next report ...
  4. I don't know where Gartner gets its figures (though I can guess where they got some of their cash), .NET adoption rates have stayed pinned at extremely low levels since the release a year ago. I keep hearing .NET is big stuff from the analysts, but I sure am not hearing it from developers. Some VB programmers have upgraded to VB.NET, but the applications are typical single-machine GUI stuff - not web-based. Still, the hype machine continues to spew forth...
  5. Its not true, People are using .NET.
    Old VB programers like new Java style VB. I don't know how good is .NET in web services as compared to Java Options, But Application development and deployment is lot easier in VB.NET compared to VB6 and old ASP.
  6. Well, that's pretty much what I said....NET is being used as an upgrade path by VB programmers doing standalone GUI apps, but not much on web stuff. At least that's what I am seeing. I am honestly dumbfounded when I hear these marketing studies proclaiming .NET is doing anything actually ON the net - I sure don't see it. Sort of like when Bush claims that 'we need to go to war with Iraq' or has a 'Healthy Forests Initiative' which means log everything. Maybe I just am out of touch...
  7. " am honestly dumbfounded when I hear these marketing studies proclaiming .NET is doing anything actually ON the net - I sure don't see it. Sort of like when Bush claims that 'we need to go to war with Iraq' or has a 'Healthy Forests Initiative' which means log everything. Maybe I just am out of touch... "

Maybe not out of touch. Just naive.
  8. Even worse, I am tired of seeing people say web SERVICES when they mean web APPLICATIONS....web services has become a catch-all phrase for any web app use case.
  9. The Analysts Strike Again...[ Go to top ]

I use WebLogic Server 7.0 + Workshop and love it. I

> benchmarked WebSphere and Oracle9iAS and they weren't
    > close.

Thats good for you, but what does it have to do with the Gartner reports?
  10. The Analysts Strike Again...[ Go to top ]

Workshop is just so expensive compare with the feature it really provides. JWS is still a JSR...And BEA doesn't have proven record in delivering a decent IDE, just ruined VisualCafe.
  11. BEA Workshop rules[ Go to top ]

Gartner is (as usual I should say) stuck on looking at the mirror. BEA Workshop supports publishing of asynchronous Web services (the real deal concerning the WS stack), and now even supporting BPEL flows. Where is the commercial implementation of BPEL4WS by the spec creators (IBM & Microsoft)???

Cheers.

Jill.
  12. Here[ Go to top ]

Here
  13. BEA Workshop rules[ Go to top ]

"IBM intends to make available Business Process Execution Language For Web Services (BPEL4WS) in future releases of WebSphere Studio Application Developer Integration Edition V5 and WebSphere Application Server Enterprise V5."

The future is wide open... I rest my case.

Cheers.

Jill (the queen of now)
  14. BEA Workshop rules[ Go to top ]

Is BEA considering to acquire Collaxa? Collaxa can also integrate with .Net.
    BEA doesn't have their own BPEL implementation, right?
  15. BEA Workshop rules[ Go to top ]

This HP survey is probably the most up to date on vendors implementing the state of the art in the Web services stack.

Cheers.

Jill.

-----
    Why did you call them "beta"? - Uh.. 'coz they're beta than nothin'
  16. BEA Workshop rules[ Go to top ]

From page 10:
    "While BEA contributed to both the BPEL4WS and WSCI initiatives, the current release of the BEA
    WebLogic Workshop product does not provide native support for either standard2."
    Footnote:
    "BEA announced on Dec 13th, 2002 that they would be releasing a major upgrade to the WebLogic platform in 1H’03. The effort, code-named “Gibraltar”, will provide additional support for working with business processes, including BPEL4WS support."
    On page 12:
    "IBM provides an alpha release of their Business Process Execution Language for Web Services Java Run
    Time (BPWS4J) from their alphaWorks website. The BPWS4J platform contains two basic components: a
    runtime platform for executing BPEL documents and an editor for creating them. The download includes
    the engine, a web-based interface to deploy a BPEL process, an Eclipse plug-in to edit the BPEL
    documents, and documentation for using it. While the documentation was somewhat incomplete, the
    samples provides were very helpful in gaining a better understanding of BPEL4WS."
    Eclipse is opensource IDE, if IBM is going to contribute BPWS4J to Apache, then that's real good news to everyone. So IBM has a beta product, where is BEA's?
  17. BEA Workshop rules[ Go to top ]

BPWS4J has a long way to go, IMO. The samples are at the moment all synchronous, possibly with a reason. What good is executing asynchronous flows without reliability?

A commercial implementation would need to be able to persist long-running flows as well as provide means for monitoring them. That's where a BPEL orchestration server comes in.

Cheers.

Jill.
  18. 100%[ Go to top ]

58 + 40 + 31 = ?
    How much is there in 100 %? More than 100?
    Even if some vendors will use both .NET and J2EE, this survey does not give a clear picture.
    The servey should say 58% will use .NET and more than 71% will use J2EE.
    Thanks,
    -Abhijit
  19. 100%[ Go to top ]

It could be like oracle being used as database and not the appserver part of it. So it could be in both .Net and J2ee area.
  20. Please send an automated letter to your congress man regarding the offshoring of IT jobs. A new trend that will kill us all. Unless you dont mind learning hindu and moving to India.
    http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/offshoring/
  21. It ain't Hindu, it is Hindi. Hindu is a religion.
  22. ok[ Go to top ]

On Offshoring IT JOBS - which has nothing to do with this thread, I'll bite anyway...

When it gets personnal, it is hard to stay a libertarian and embrace free trade!
  23. Make that "SAFE and EXPENSIVE". IT jobs are outsourced only because they are cheaper in India.
  24. What's funny is that the east-indians(is this the PC term?) I know are also scared by outsourcing to India. They say: why did I come here then? Or: Visit Bombay and let's talk later about going back there... Very confusing.
  25. Before spamming threads with off topic posts, consider:

1) Many serverside people actually don't live in the USA so may well benefit from the spread of jobs
    2) I presume you only wear USA made clothing (no Nike etc. - made outside USA), drive a USA made car, use USA sourced oil because I'm sure you wouldn't be the sort of person who would only defend their own job area

Apologies for continuing off-topic.
  26. 100% of What?[ Go to top ]

Here's a survey I did. I asked one person to give me the top 3 web services platforms they intend to ramp up on. Her answer: "Oracle, IBM, Dot Net". Ergo, 100% of respondents said Oracle, 100% said IBM, 100% said Dot Net.

See if you can read and understand the original posting before responding to it, ok?

We can't tell much here since we can't see the Gartner report itself. But the question appears to be misleading. It asks what your are "ramping up on". If I already know Weblogic, e.g., I'm the world's largest IT consultancy, then the answer to that question may not included Weblogic.

So I might conclude, simply, that IBM, Dot Net and Oracle are gaining momentum relative to Weblogic. I have no basis for claiming Weblogic is not in the top 3, however.

But really, I have no idea what I can infer from this. Not much, without the full report.
  27. Worst Case Scenario[ Go to top ]

With "Web Services", the worst case scenario of all the hype is that we can easily do slow-RMI (XML-RPC, SOAP, etc.) between any two modern pieces of software. Microsoft makes it easy. BEA makes it easy. Apache makes it easy. IBM makes it ... well, IBM works with Apache ;-). (I'm just kidding ... WS+WSAD makes it easy.)

So maybe only 5% are doing anything with it, or maybe it's 95%, but when it's actually _you_ that has to do it, just think how much easier it's going to be since all these companies have poured all this effort into it. Cool.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Easily share live data across a cluster!
  28. Worst Case Scenario[ Go to top ]

You forgot GLUE. And THAT is easy.