Discussions

News: Open Source brings Competitive Pressures to the Appserver Market

1. Open-source software has already shaken up the operating systems business. An article on news.com discusses the effects of open source in the J2EE market and what J2EE server vendors. Appserver commoditization is a factor that is driving interest in open source, J2EE vendors are differentiating by creating platform suites on top of the appserver.

Read Java servers feel the open-source heat.

Threaded Messages (7)

2. JBoss does it again[ Go to top ]

enough said.
  3. Sun's Comment[ Go to top ]

"I wish they would understand the extent to which compliance matters to enterprises," said Jonathan Schwartz, Sun's executive vice president for software.
    ----------

What exactly does that mean? JBoss released their J2EE 1.3-compliant product 2 months after BEA Weblogic released theirs, and 6 months before IBM released theirs.

JBoss has driven the adoption of the JMX standard among application server vendors.

There are nearly a dozen ongoing development projects to provide implementations of existing JSR's into the server.

How is JBoss not respecting compliance? Surely a vice president isn't grousing because Sun isn't going to get a few thousand dollars in certification fees from JBoss?
  4. More JBoss Mis Information[ Go to top ]

First, I believe BEA shipped in 6.0, two years ago, so JBoss didn't drive that. Our custom MBeans on WebLogic work great.

Second, while I love the soap opera speculation, my horse BEAS, has weathered the storm beautifully. If they miss their numbers I would say you have a case, but it hasn't happened yet, so save it.

Third, JBoss is to WebLogic as MySQL is to Oracle.

Harvey
  5. wake up[ Go to top ]

Wake up Harvey
  6. Everybody loves CNET[ Go to top ]

I love those naive explanations over there at CNET! For example, from the referenced "BEA thinks smaller with WebLogic":

<quote>
    WebLogic Express, which is designed to only deliver Web pages, is priced starting at $694 per server and includes a customer support plan. With the Workgroup edition of WebLogic, business can create more complicated applications, based on the Enterprise Java Beans programming model, that fetch information from a corporate database.
    </quote>

Therefore, applications running on WebLogic Express cannot access corporate databases? To achieve that miracle, you need EJB, right?

Juergen
  7. Tools being free or nearly free[ Go to top ]

<quote>
    "At some point, that chunk of middleware is not a market. Those companies can't make money on it anymore," said John Montgomery, group product manager for Microsoft's .Net developer platform.
    </quote>

I agree with John in that respect. The days of expensive middleware are gone, hopefully. A lot of developers already consider basic middleware a commodity. Even more important, this has to get into the heads of CxOs. Choosing well-marketed middleware does not help in terms of project success. Let the software architects and lead developers choose appropriate technologies and tools.

In general, the Java enterprise community has to focus on valuable infrastructure, appropriate for the application projects at hand. Even Java developers have been flooded with middleware vendor marketing for far too long, ending up with unnecessarily complicated infrastructure.

<quote>
    Basic application servers will be free or nearly free
    </quote>

Definitely, at least in terms of license costs. Unfortunately, a heavyweight server still eats up lots of resources, hardware, human, and vendor consulting ones, even if there are no or insignificant license fees to pay. Full-blown application server tend to be complex in terms of configuration and documentation, even in their "Express" editions.

IMHO that's the beauty of lightweight and well-documented J2EE web application servers like Tomcat (being open source and free) and Resin (being developer open source and nearly free, at 500 USD per deployment server). Resin particulary shines in terms of handiness, support, and up-to-dateness.

The same applies to IDEs. I guess that products with impertinent license costs like JBuilder will rapidly lose market share. Consider JBuilder 8 nowadays: Borland forces you to buy JBuilder Enterprise for web development now, at 3000 USD per developer. Thus, I consider promising competitors like Eclipse (being open source and free), IntelliJ IDEA (a great tool and a bargain at 500 USD per developer), and NetBeans (being open source and free) the IDEs of choice.

Juergen
  8. Basic and Advanced[ Go to top ]

<quote>
    Basic application servers will be free or nearly free
    </quote>

Should be true. Looks like that there is no much value offered by 'Small' appl. server vendor(s) if one has to choose between JBoss,Tomcat,Resin or a 'Small' appl.server vendor's product.

Especially for basic,non-mission critical,Intra-company deployments, Opensource ,free appl.servers are a boon to companies especially those serving the Small amd medium segment markets(enterprises and ISVs) and for them it will be a huge $$$ savings! and you know the 'small' vendor(s) target the above segment predominantly.On the other side of the coin, they donot offer a complete enterprise suite like BEA,IBM,Oracle.(hence they cannot target high end markets)

Hence,looks like the small vendor's products today NEITHER offer the huge cost advantage for basic deployments (especially wide scale)as one can get by using JBoss or TomCat NOR meet complex or advanced requirements...

Think,they are really at the 'hottest zone' of the Opensource onslught!