BEA to Provide Free Development Licenses

Discussions

News: BEA to Provide Free Development Licenses

1. BEA to Provide Free Development Licenses (24 messages)

BEA dev2dev subscriptions offers three tiers for WebLogic Developers and also includes comprehensive dev tools and resources. The three tiers are: Trial, Platform, and Tools Edition.

Trial Edition (Cost: free): Provides users with a free downloadable 12-month development license for the most current version of the BEA WebLogic Enterprise Platform, including BEA WebLogic Workshop™, BEA WebLogic Server™, BEA WebLogic JRockit™, BEA WebLogic Portal™ and BEA WebLogic Integration™. This non-production license supports up to 5 concurrent IP connections and 15 concurrent database connections.

Platform Edition (Cost: $599 USD): Offers users the latest BEA WebLogic Enterprise Platform release, trial software and components from BEA partners, technical support and quarterly shipments on CD containing new software updates, public betas, and partner trials. Additionally, subscribers receive a 12-month subscription to BEA WebLogic Developer's Journal, development book titles from leading technical publishers, and self-paced training materials from BEA Education Services.

Tools Edition (Cost: $4659 USD): Encompasses all the Platform Edition benefits and includes a license to Borland's JBuilder WebLogic Edition, an industrial-strength enterprise Java application designed to simplify Web and (EJB) Enterprise Java Bean development with two-way visual designers and rapid deployment to leading J2EE platform application servers. The subscription also includes twelve months of Software Assurance from Borland, ensuring developer support with the latest software updates.

Read information on new dev2dev Subscriptions

Threaded Messages (24)

2. Not a bad move. BEAS definitely needs to keep the developers happy. I just downloaded WebLogic Platform 8.1 Beta and the license is good till next year. I wonder whether it is the same for the older products.
  3. clustering?[ Go to top ]

does the license on the trial edition include clustering?
  4. clustering?[ Go to top ]

does the license on the trial edition include clustering?

From what I see in the license file: yes.

-Nick
  5. Developer seats are free[ Go to top ]

At the opening session here at eWorld Tod Nielsen, Chief Marketing Officer for BEA said "Developer seats are free." When we walked out of the big hall they gave us a CD package that included the BEA WebLogic Enterprise Platform. That's all of their software under one free development license. Good move BEA. -Frank
  6. Developer seats are free[ Go to top ]

They announced it last year, too. :) LOL
    Steve
  7. Developer seats are free[ Go to top ]

Seems Bea started understanding the market competition ..[BEA getting squeezed from both ends ???]

They should have done this long back. Anyway, better late than never. :-)

This is good for developers :-)

Cheers
    --Venky
  8. Developer seats are free[ Go to top ]

How long before they have run time $ and operation costs more competetive with Orion, Resin, Tomcat, J:Boss, etc.? IBM gives its J2EE license away to sell hardware on any larger deal. Oracle gives Orion away to sell the Oracle DB.

It is hard to run BEA when you need 10 servers web application.

.V
  9. Developer seats are free[ Go to top ]

BEA's WebLogic Express, which is competitive with Orion, Resin, and Tomcat
    is currently available for under $700 with online support at www.bea.com.

sam
  10. Developer seats are free[ Go to top ]

BEA Weblogic Express is not like Orion or Resin. It's more like Tomcat with added features. Weblogic Express does not have a EJB container.

Well, finally a free developers version. Sorry guys, BEA already shot itself on the foot.

I'll never forget doing a prototype in Weblogic for a client and then have Weblogic license expire before the demo. I contacted BEA and informed them about a potential sale to a "large" customer. Forget it, BEA just treated like a street-beggar looking for a hand out.

I even discussed this with Tyler Jewel at last years Borland conference, Tyler was sympathetic and appeared concern. But, I could tell, Tyler just couldn't do anything.

Well, Borland Enterprise Server to the rescue and presto my client doesn't think Weblogic was so great after all.

Last year, I have successfully influenced the decision to not go Weblogic in four cases. Number five is in progress and its big.

So, thank you BEA for showing me the light, I've discovered other J2EE servers, JBoss, OC4J and Borland Enterprise Server.

Just because Weblogic developer version is free "now", all of sudden I'm not going to throw away of great support and experience from the other J2EE servers.

Too bad, I really liked and wanted to stay with Weblogic.
  11. Developer seats are free[ Go to top ]

Mistake on my part comparing WebLogic Express features with Orion and appearently Resin. Thanks for pointing that out. Resin is not full J2EE, correct? I'm not clear on their story.

When your WLS license expired, why didn't you just do another download from BEA to get a license refresh?

sam
  12. Developer seats are free[ Go to top ]

<Sammy>
    Resin is not full J2EE, correct? I'm not clear on their story

The "Resin" version is a servlet engine, while the "Resin Enterprise" supports EJB. I only knew about the enterprise version, so you're correct Resin is like Weblogic Express.

<Sammy>
    When your WLS license expired, why didn't you just do another download from BEA to get a license refresh?

Well, yes I could, but just the fact of getting downloads to sustain licensing is silly. We had other application servers sitting around with active licenses.

Also, we had several deployments in different geographical places, imagine trying to always download and uninstall and reinstall over and over again.

And, finally, support from BEA, reminded me from the Wang days - Awful!
  13. Developer seats are free[ Go to top ]

I even discussed this with Tyler Jewel at last years Borland conference, Tyler was sympathetic and appeared concern. But, I could tell, Tyler just couldn't do anything.

I think Tyler has been one of the instrumental people in getting BEA to give away developer licenses.

You have to look at it (at least for a second) from their perspective: Before doing this, BEA used to get more revenue from developer licenses than many app server companies got in total revenue!

I think it's pretty obvious that "free developer licenses for an app server" is a good thing, both for BEA and its customers. BEA is playing with the big boys now, and part of that (as Microsoft and IBM understand fairly well) is encouraging and growing a developer community.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Easily share live data across a cluster!
  14. So, develop with weblogic, use the jboss migrator thingy to change your wls deployment descriptors to jboss, then deploy to jboss.

Is that reasonable?
  15. And all the manuals for WL are free with the excellent quality. Looks like tough time for JBoss ?

Dmitry Namiot
    Coldbeans - Java server-side components
  16. Cool[ Go to top ]

Hi,

Since you are giving away free dev licenses, how about the source code of your Container?

Just wondering,

Scott
  17. Container Source Code[ Go to top ]

<snip> Hi,Since you are giving away free dev licenses, how about the source code of your Container?

Perhaps this may be true for small J2EE vendors and the viability of those folks remaining in business may be a '?'...especially those esoteric non-US based companies without any mentionable market share..

- Manoj Shirke
  18. Impact on small scale vendors[ Go to top ]

"Perhaps this may be true for small J2EE vendors and the viability of those folks remaining in business may be a '?'...especially those esoteric non-US based companies without any mentionable market share.."

Are the possible ones, Tmax, Trifolk, Pramati?

Heard that Tmax Soft though being small from Korea has a very strong market in Asia.Many Korean giants listed as their customers http://www.tmax.co.kr/english/partner1.htm

Not much activity seen in others website though

-- Robert Black Junior
  19. Container Source Code[ Go to top ]

Not a bad idea at all...its actually a good survival

As for manoj shirke...oh come on, appreciate what others have done, and what you perhaps can never ever achieve...you lose your credibility with others being focussed on a single theme!!! specially a lot of developers in India

"esoteric non-us companies" - as if there are many...

RK
    Inf
  20. I've been doing a fair amount of work lately with the JBoss 3.2 release (I believe it sits at RC2 right now) and I've been very impressed. I am very much looking forward to the 4.0 release later this year. Their manuals aren't too bad either, and the price for them is minimal. Personally, I don't think it's going to be tough times for JBoss.

Cheers
    Ray
  21. JBoss[ Go to top ]

//Their manuals aren't too bad either, and the price for them is minimal. Personally, I don't think it's going to be tough times for JBoss//

Absolutely. Perhaps JBoss can be a better consideration as against the J2EE platforms sold by small vendors especially those charging hefty prices of $2000 + per CPU for basic editions and with whom one cannot take the risk of depending on specific platforms,losing their support and upgrades as in today's market it is going to be survival of the fittest.
  22. : This non-production license supports up to 5 concurrent IP connections and 15 concurrent database connections.

Note: All developer versions have the above limit yet it's not obvious. It's nice to see a Weblogic Express type price for developers.

As for annoying people who keep posting about JBoss and Open Source everytime they see Weblogic or WebSphere mentioned, please don't turn this site in /.
  23. It is a perfectly reasonable response to mention JBoss when there is a discussion of Weblogic or Websphere. JBoss can certainly be a valid alternative to either, depending upon the scope of the project.

I'm glad that BEA has finally gotten to the point where they think a free development version is a good idea - it has taken them quite a while to do so. Getting your product into the hands of developers is a very good idea. I know that quite a few shops weren't spending the money on WL development licenses and were using app servers like JBoss, Orion/OC4J, JRun or a host of other products that are free period or free for development. Then deploy to WL. Sometimes those same shops might think - "What do I need WL for anyway?" and run their production software on the cheaper of those products listed above. This move will help WL shops stay WL shops. To at least a small extent - JBoss was a driver in getting BEA to pony up free development licenses, certainly along with the other app server vendors who offered free development licenses for their products.

Cheers
    Ray
  24. Hi,

I trying to use weblogic 8.0 development license. I am searching for ebcc tool for developing some sample portal application. But couldn't find. Isn't ebcc tool provided with weblogic 8.0 development license.

One more thing. I could see weblogic portal sample application beign developed with struts framework. Is weblogic portal supporting struts framework application plugin. I remember IBM now allows that.

-Kirupakaran.S
  25. |
    | I am searching for ebcc tool
    |

Ebcc doesnt exist anymore. Its all in WorkShop

-Nick