Discussions

News: A brighter future for Sun One?

1. A brighter future for Sun One? (8 messages)

Sun's strategy for its upcoming enterprise Java offerings, as sketched out by Vice President Mark Bauhaus, involves beating competitors with completeness, low cost, and quality services. It dovetails nicely with Sun's hardware plans, but Sun faces stiff competition from its own J2EE licensees.

Read A brighter future for Sun One?.

I've also noticed lots of changes to how Sun has been marketing itself. They are finally making use of the competitive advantage they have as being both the provider of Java and vendors of an appserver. Examples:

- almost all java.sun.com pages mention Sun One, and many explicitly recommend Sun One products. See web services developer pack, and others.
     - There is a new version of the J2EE tutorial called "The J2EE tutorial for the Sun One Platform". It is unclear if this is intended to officially replace the normal vendor neutral J2EE tutorial.
     - The J2EE SDK is nowt built on top of the Sun One appserver codebase
  2. There is a good chance that SUN may try to push for SUN ONE a lot more, introduce some code dependencies on SUN ONE etc to make some money.
    I hope they dont raise the "already medium level learning cure " for java and help us all make java a poor programmer's answer to expensive .Net.
  3. <snip>Bauhaus wasn't ready to go public on the pricing of Sun's soon-to-be-announced Java server bundles, but he repeated other executives' claim that at least a basic edition of the Sun One application server will be included with new Sun server purchases

Low cost of licensing,upgrades and technical support combined with responsive and customer friendly support only may help them grow and lead further against the competition.

-- Rob
  4. help us all make java a poor programmer's answer to expensive .Net.

I would say that .not is poor man's J2EE for windows.

Maris
  5. The writer of the article is clearly confused about Sun's role in J2EE. He says that "By declaring its Java server software to be the best and emphasizing how different it is from others, Sun is deflating the primary selling point of J2EE", and that "With Sun's upcoming changes and the likely responses from licensees, the 'write once, run anywhere' contract might finally be voided". That's sure dogfood for last words on an otherwise interesting article.

There is nothing wrong or threatening on Sun's strategy to win market share. Marketing Sun ONE as "different" from others does not deemphasize J2EE portability. J2EE never tried to be a fully portable platform anyway -- it just provides a (very) solid base for portability, and lets vendors differentiate in quality of service and performance. That's what Sun's saying about Sun ONE: the most reliable, fast application server. Not an incompatible app server.

The same goes for the rest of Java, and Sun's upcoming changes does not modify this scenario. Now, what the writer wanted to do spreading such a FUD, I don't know...
  6. <quote>The J2EE SDK is now built on top of the Sun One appserver codebase
       I thought it was the other way around????
  7. SunOne & J2EE ref. implementation[ Go to top ]

It was the other way around, but as I understand it Sun's not going to develop J2EE platform independent of SunOne anymore. So probably more accurate would be to say these two merged - but it doesn't have the same marketing strength.
    V.
  8. A brighter future for Sun One?[ Go to top ]

It was sometime ago, that I read in CRM that what distinguishes SUN from its competitors such as IBM was that it works with it's partners...licensees rather than compete with them. I'm unsure whether this strategy will benefit the "business of doing java" as a whole even if Sun One helps Sun.
  9. A brighter future for developers ?[ Go to top ]

maybe we can pray to get JSF here faster :-)