Discussions

News: Using JMX to Manage your Web Applications

1. Using JMX to Manage your Web Applications (11 messages)

A new ServerSide article, by Tony Thomas, takes a closer look at how JMX could be used for the management of Web applications. Using an example application with a set of JSP pages, it illustrates how JMX can manage application-specific data and provide good visibility into how the application is operating in production.

Read 'Using JMX to Manage Web Applications'

Threaded Messages (11)

2. A new ServerSide article, by Tony Thomas, takes a closer look at how JMX could be used for the management of Web applications. Using an example application with a set of JSP pages, it illustrates how JMX can manage application-specific data and provide good visibility into how the application is operating in production.

>
    > Read 'Using JMX to Manage Web Applications'
  3. Code to get mbeanserver[ Go to top ]

I am bit disappointed that the code is WebLogic specific for accessing MBeanServer. Why not use JMX spec provided APIs ( you couldn't make them work?, just as I couldn't for websphere? ).

Also, has anyone actually tested interfacing with SNMP from JMX MBeans?. Does any of know of a SNMP connector implementation thats available today?.
  4. Code to get mbeanserver[ Go to top ]

AdventNet?
  5. Code to get mbeanserver[ Go to top ]

should have said non-commerical SNMP adapter. I saw that AdventNet has one, and after looking further, their product looks very impressive. But, I am curious to know if anyone has had personal experience using JMX with SNMP successfully in a production scenario.
  6. Code to get mbeanserver[ Go to top ]

I did work closely with many of our (AdventNet) customers who use SNMP with JMX in production environment. I can list a few scenarios.

- MBeans were created to read log files and SNMP Traps were sent (to HP OpenView and Tivoli) if the log file contains certain error messages.
    - MBeans were created to monitor the processes running in Solaris Machine and SNMP Traps are sent if a particular process quits
    - MBeans were created to monitor the content of Database Tables and this content is seen through SNMP in NSM Consoles

Raju Vegesna
    raju@adventnet.com
  7. Code to get mbeanserver[ Go to top ]

koshna.com has one, too. It's not free, but it works fine.
    It's a nice api and costs a few bucks.
    The implementation is also runnable in jboss3.0 without any
    difficulties.
  8. Code to get mbeanserver[ Go to top ]

I am bit disappointed that the code is WebLogic specific for accessing MBeanServer. Why not use JMX spec provided APIs ( you couldn't make them work?, just as I couldn't for websphere? ).

Does anyone know how to get the MBeanServer in Tomcat?
    How does "... JMX spec provided APIs" get MBeanServer?
  9. Code to get mbeanserver[ Go to top ]

My client would not consider a solution using a vendor's proprietary API. What value is the JMX spec if it requires vendor extensions to build simple examples?
  10. Code to get mbeanserver[ Go to top ]

Here you go -

MBeanServer mbserver = null;
    ArrayList mbservers = MBeanServerFactory.findMBeanServer(null);
    System.out.println("Found "+mbservers.size()+" mbean servers");
    if(mbservers.size()>0){
      mbserver = (MBeanServer)mbservers.get(0);
    }
    if(mbserver!=null){
      System.out.println("Found our MBean server");
    }else{
      mbserver = MBeanServerFactory.createMBeanServer();
    }

-Shyam,
    Founder,
    Koshna.com
  11. Really good example[ Go to top ]

I've been struggling with what is meant by "management" of J2EE applications. The specs are fine, of course, but what I really needed was this example. Of course! It all becomes clear now!!! Thank you!

Now the thing that I still find confusing is that JBoss seems to implement all of J2EE as MBeans. It seems that they've taken it several steps beyond the original intent.

dt
  12. JSP tag for JMX[ Go to top ]

have you considered developing JSP tags for accessing JMX mbeans? i have done that before and it's really handy to use them in your jsp pages.