Sun Releases J2EE Client Provisioning Reference Implementation

Discussions

News: Sun Releases J2EE Client Provisioning Reference Implementation

1. J2EE Client Provisioning technology extends J2EE to enable the development of "provisioning portals" that manage and distribute applications and content to a variety of client devices. Sun has released an early access implementation of the spec including support for J2ME MIDP and J2SE devices.

It allows developers to experiment with the technology, and includes a sample provisioning portal and detailed getting started and installation instructions.

Download J2EE Client Provisioning Reference Implementation

J2EE Client Provisioning Website
  2. According to its web site, J2EE client provisioning addresses challenges of managing, upgrading, tracking the usage for both wireline and wireless.
    This is great and important. But there are existing different tech.

1. Will it compete with J2ME OTA Provisioning?
    2. Will it compete with OMA(Open Mobile Alliance) DRM?
    3. Will it define mechanism for interacting billing on server, which is important for service provider?
    4. Will it finally replace Java Web Start?

Citystory
  3. Looks like a good start[ Go to top ]

As far as I can see from a quick read of the specification it deals with the management and packaging of the applications to be provisioned.

The final delivery to the client uses the relevant mechanism for the client type with the examples using JNLP Web Start and MIDP.

Billing mechanisms and the like seem to be left up to the service provider. Which I think is fine for the first release. That is something a commercial/other product could supply initially.

I wonder if this could be used to provision war files to serlet engines? I guess so?

Dan
  4. Looks like a good start[ Go to top ]

AFAIK you can provision almost anything to a mobile device as long as it is packed into a PAR (provisioning archive).

that means you can provision mobile apps to CDC and CLDC based devices, in turn that means the J2EE CP spec isn't limited to just support MIDP compliant devices.

i am for instance currently evaluating the J2EE CP spec (RI) for provisioning mobile EJB applications to a mobile EJB app server.

regards

--
    daniel s. haischt
    founder of the iChilli(TM) mobile J2EE platform
    http://ichilli.sourceforge.net/
  5. 1. nope AFAIK the J2EE CP spec is an implementation of the OTA spec.
    4. the J2EE CP spec isn't a replacement for the Java Web Start spec
       nor is it complementary to Java Web Start. The JNLP protocol specified
       by the Java Web Start spec is just one methodology to provision
       mobile applications to a cell phone, a smart phone or a handheld.

regards

--
    daniel s. haischt
    founder of the iChilli(TM) mobile J2EE platform
    http://ichilli.sourceforge.net/
  6. Hi Wong,

The spec provides an adapter SPI so that the provisioning server can be extended to provision bundles to a variety of different devices. Different devices have different models by which they like to be provisioned, J2ME MIDP OTA and J2SE JNLP are two popular standards in this space. So in terms of the spec, provisioning server that comply to the spec can provision to devices supporting these models so long as they have adapters that can 'talk' OTA and JNLP. We wanted to make this extensible so that many different models can easily be supported.

The spec doesn't compete with OMA DRM, in fact OMA DRM can currently be built into the provisioning server by using the DeliveryComponent API to insert the ODRL file into the bundle.

We don't define billing APIs in this version, since in the industry there doesn't seem to be much convergence on a generalise billiing scheme. We wanted to make sure that for delivery of bundles, the developer APIs gave enough of an abstracted view into the process to enable the developer to hook the provisioning activities of discovery and delivery into their billing system - whether that be a credit check that the time of creation of a fulfillment task, or a charge when the bundle gets delivered to the client.

On the last question, as in the first paragraph - we actually complement the J2SE JNLP standard by providing the server side architeture to standardise how servers implement the server side contract of J2SE JNLP.

Thanks !

- Danny