Discussions

News: Vembu Announces SQL Conversion Tool SwisSQL 1.0

1. Vembu Announces SQL Conversion Tool SwisSQL 1.0 (3 messages)

Vembu Technologies has announced SwisSQL 1.0, a SQL conversion tool which can automatically convert SQL queries from one database dialect to another. It includes a an API and JDBC wrapper that allows J2EE applications to be easily portable across databases, and a console/GUI for manual SQL conversion.

Check out Vembu SwisSQL 1.0.

Press Release
    ===========================
    April 1, 2003 - Vembu Technologies, a startup company focusing on building database tools to make enterprise applications leverage multiple relational databases better, announced today the general availability of its SQL conversion tool, Vembu SwisSQL 1.0. SwisSQL can parse any relational database vendor’s SQL dialect and automatically convert SQL queries into any other SQL dialect. This unique SQL conversion capability allows developers and DBAs working in a multi-database environment to write SQL for one database and seamlessly run any database without needing to port SQL queries.

“One of the major problems in SQL is the dialects of the language. Even if you attempt to write pure, standard SQL-92, you cannot escape re-writing code from one product to another. They disagree about data types, rounding and truncation, vendor defined functions and even their temporal data model”, said Mr. Joe Celko, Vice President of RDBMS at North Face Learning and the author of the book, SQL for Smarties. “Even worse, sometimes they are just close enough that you cannot see the difference. What looks like the same syntax has different semantics”, added Mr. Celko.

According to Gartner, “90% of organizations out there now work with multiple relational databases”. With the relational database vendors paying lip service to the SQL standard with their own proprietary extensions and supporting only entry-level ANSI standard, DBAs and database application developers would be better off if they do not have to learn every SQL dialect that is out there. SwisSQL precisely addresses this problem. By supporting most relational database’s SQL dialect and by automatically converting SQL from one dialect to another, SwisSQL improves the productivity of developers and DBAs working with multiple databases.

“Using SwisSQL does not mean limiting oneself to SQL features which are common across all the databases. We believe our solution to the SQL portability problem is the best out there as we let developers and DBAs leverage the full feature of any relational database they are working with”, said Mr. Sekar Vembu, CEO of Vembu Technologies. “And our outstanding support lets customers use our multi-database SQL expertise for all their SQL migration problems”, added Mr. Vembu.

SwisSQL comes in two flavors, an API with a JDBC wrapper interface for J2EE application developers, and a GUI console for DBAs and developers to manually convert SQL from one dialect to another. The 1.0 version of SwisSQL supports Oracle, DB2, MS-SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL and ANSI-SQL. Future releases will support other databases like Sybase, SAP-DB etc.

The full version of SwisSQL is available for download and a 30 days free evaluation at www.vembu.com. Vembu offers free technical support during the evaluation period. Pricing for a single developer license for SwisSQL API is US $495 with no runtime/royalty fees for distribution and deployment. SwisSQL Console graphical user interface is priced at US $145 per user.

About Vembu Technologies

Vembu Technologies is focused on building database tools to make enterprise applications leverage multiple relational databases better. Vembu’s founders have extensive experience in building enterprise scale applications with a deep appreciation for how enterprise applications interact with relational databases. Vembu is privately held with headquarters in Chennai, India. For more information, visit www.vembu.com or contact info at vembu dot com.

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Relational Model and Business Logic[ Go to top ]

We beleive the best way to build massively scaleable enterprise applications is to directly use the relational model in the business logic code. In that context we beleive SwisSQL can really solve to an extent the portability problems across databases. We think there should be more tools to facilitate writing business-logic directly using the relational model.

Even J2EE should evolve to to have options where you do not have to necessarily encapsulate data in objects and then write business-logic against this object model. J2EE should provide options to directly use the relational model in the business-logic code and still leverage its other advanced features like distributed transactions, security, cahcing etc. etc.

Any thoughts.

Thanks
    John
    Vembu Technologies
  3. thoughts[ Go to top ]

John,

I've been on many J2EE projects at many different companies and have never once had to port the SQL to a different database. Therefore I would have no use for SwiSQL and I don't know of many companies that would.

J2EE does provide "options to use the relational model in the business logic code", doesn't it? You can do whatever you like with Java. If you don't want to encapsulate data in objects you don't have to.
  4. Re: Thoughts[ Go to top ]

I've been on many J2EE projects at many different companies and have never once had to port the SQL to a different database. Therefore I would have no use for SwiSQL and I don't know of many companies that would.

>>>>

Yes, We do not foresee SwisSQL to be useful to every J2EE developer out there. But in my experience I have seen many ISVs wanting to have database independence. The downloads we have so far and the people who have contacted us are an indication there is a community out there who will benefit by this. Also the functionality we have in 1.0 is basic. As we evelove there will be more and the idea is can we really make J2EE apps protable across databases even when embedding SQL in business-logic code. We believe it is worth an attempt.

<>>>>>>
    Yes, I agree you can do it. But if you embed SQL in your business-logic code, then you are on your own when it comes to updating your cache etc. There are many J2EE services which are easily available if you use the EJB which inherently imposes an object model. The business-logic SQL can update data across multiple objects (Entity beans) and you are on your own when it comes to transactions, caching etc. So our point is how do we make it easier to write business-logic diractly against a relational model and still levergae some of the good features of EJB.

Thanks
    John