Is UDDI necessary ?

Discussions

XML & Web services: Is UDDI necessary ?

1. Is UDDI necessary ? (4 messages)

I am relatively new into the area of Web Services.

I had a simple question - Is UDDI necessary ?

We are trying to generate a Web Service using Apache Axis/ WASP Server. The request would come from a MS VisualBasic SOAP client sending some datapacket information to the Web service. The Web Service will gather the datapacket and dump it into a data store and send appropriate response back to the client.

Does UDDI come anywhere in picture and is it really necessary in above context?
    I heard that UDDI licensed softwares are very costly !!!

Thanks.

Threaded Messages (4)

2. Is UDDI necessary ?[ Go to top ]

UDDI is not necessary if you're comfortable with "hardcoding" the WSDL stuff on the client-side and don't need to publish the web service to external parties.

UDDI is basically just a specialized repository for your WSDL files.
  3. Is UDDI necessary ?[ Go to top ]

If you need your web services to be available publicly within the organization and externally, you need to register in registries like "UDDI" or "EBXML". But if you know who your clients are and they know your web services, UDDI is not necessary.
  4. Is EBXML a registry?[ Go to top ]

If you need your web services to be available publicly within the organization and externally, you need to register in registries like "UDDI" or "EBXML". But if you know who your clients are and they know your web services, UDDI is not necessary.

I thought EBXML was a standard for business data exchange, as opposed to a wedb services registry.
  5. Is EBXML a registry?[ Go to top ]

Aaron, ebxml is a standard for B2B. But it does have a ebxml registry which stores information on trading partners (analogous to web services) plus business process details. A UDDI registry can be thought of as a subset of a ebxml registry(which also has details on business process).