XForms J2EE implementation XMLForm 0.9.5 released

Discussions

News: XForms J2EE implementation XMLForm 0.9.5 released

1. XMLForm is a standalone servlet toolkit inspired by Apache Struts / JavaServer Faces and W3C XForms. The toolkit is derived from Apache Cocoon. XMLForm uses W3C XForms based markup and automated server-side binding to JavaBeans, XML/DOM, JDOM and DynaBeans data models. The homepage for this project is itself written in XMLForm.

It also allows easy deployment of REST style Web Services, with maximum code reuse between human facing and machine interfaces.

Visit http://xmlform.org.

This might eclipse JSF, since X-forms is a W3 standard.

Threaded Messages (7)

2. XForms Intro Plus Mini-Critique[ Go to top ]

This might eclipse JSF, since X-forms is a W3 standard.

First, the "XML in, XML out" model followed by XForms is great news. However, the XForms spec itself isn't ready for prime time and needs a serious clean-up before it will take off.

For details you might wonna check out my recent VanX talk entitled: "The Future of the Web: Rich Clients, Rich Browsers, Rich Portals: A Look at XUL, XForms, Curl, Rebol and other emerging technologies"

Here's the XForms critique in a nutshell:

* Whatch your language - plain-English, please; no academese or jaron-filled mumbo jumbo
      * Markup bloat; don't overdo tags; allow attribute shortcuts
      * XML fever; don't replace scripting with bloated markup
      * Drop namespaces; ditch the useless bloat from core markup

I also don't see that XForms replaces JSF it's more of a complement, that is, JSF is for the server-side and XForms is for the client-side.

- Gerald
  3. Very helpful link[ Go to top ]

The slide presentation on rich clients was very helpful! Thanks Gerald.
  4. More Talk Slides Online[ Go to top ]

The slide presentation on rich clients was very helpful!

Thanks for your kind words. If you're intersted in other episode reruns, check out The Richmond Post Events Page for more.
  5. XForms / JFS[ Go to top ]

I agree with your comments on the XForms penetration in the server side applications.

XMLForm is an attempt to use a standardized markup (hence XForms) and a proven back end pattern.

It takes advantage of a few shurtcuts that distinguishes it from Struts:

1) reference language is XPath.
      a) This is the language used by XForms and is more expressive than the bean dot notation.
      b) JXPath makes it an even easier choice.
      c) XPath is natural, for folks that prefer to write content out as XML documents and transform to the client hosting language with XSLT.

2) Default validation language is Schematron, which is a tiny shell around XPath geared towards incremental human facing validation.
      a) This one is an easy choise because of 1) and also
      b) XPath has most of the expressive power of Commons Validator
      c) Tutorials, examples and books for Schematron are readily available online. I couldn't find many examples for the commons validator when I looked for them.
      d) This is a personal preference, but for some reason the Commons Validator is not as intuitive as Schematron.
      e) ... however, more than likely XMLForm will soon be linked with the Commons Validator via a JXPath extension.

3) Use of client side XSLT is promoted and easily available. This is due to go prime time since 95% of the browsers support it.

4) Because of the leverage of the forementioned standards, it seems like XMLForm is a much simpler tool than Struts. The jar is a mere 90K.
    It will likely allow an easier migration path to XForms should it become widely implemented on the client. Mozilla already has partial support for it.

Best,

Ivelin
  6. XMLForm & Cocoon[ Go to top ]

BTW, XMLForm is not entirely new.
    Although now it can be used standalone,
    it has been available as an Apache Cocoon module for over a year now.
  7. I download the .zip and .jar files for version 0.9.7, but could not open any of them using the latest WinZip. It says the files are corrupted. I tried two times, with the same error. Perhaps you generated the files with some old utility?
  8. Files corrected[ Go to top ]

Thank you for the notice. Apparently the ftp mode was ASCII during the first upload. They should be fine now. I verified.