xNova 1.0 Java/.NET Service Oriented Architecture Released

Discussions

News: xNova 1.0 Java/.NET Service Oriented Architecture Released

1. Fitech Labs has announced "xNova 1.0 Service Oriented Architecture" a new product that provides middleware services (such as cache, clustering, workflow, transactions, object pooling, etc) to both Java and .NET environments using a consistent programming model and API set. It allows knowledge-reuse as well as some application level portability and interoperability across both platforms.

Check out xNova 1.0.

Press Release
    -------------------

Fitech Laboratories, Inc. announces the immediate availability of "xNova™ 1.0 Service Oriented Architecture" - a Java and .NET cross-paradigm middleware.

San Francisco, CA -- April 8, 2003

With cross-paradigm nature, non-intrusive integration, built-in migration capabilities and a comprehensive set of system services - xNova™ enables businesses to create faster, better, richer, more agile and flexible IT infrastructures and thus react to changes in a much improved and efficient way.

Key features:
    * xNova™ provides the only Service Oriented Architecture for Java and .NET
    * xNova™ provides enterprise-level metadata and advanced object serialization
    * xNova™ provides comprehensive configuration management
    * xNova™ provides a highly-integrated Event-Condition-Action (ECA)-based workflow engine
    * xNova™ provides patented distributed caching with class leading performance and features
    * xNova™ provides a non-intrusive micro kernel-based integration

MORE DETAILS: www.fitechlabs.com

About Fitech Laboratories, Inc.
    Fitech Laboratories, Inc. is a leading provider of next generation software middleware technologies. By combining industry standards, service-oriented development expertise and latest technologies, Fitech Laboratories, Inc. enables organizations to drastically reduce development time and Total Cost of Ownership (TCO), while benefiting from a highly extensible, fast and reliable software infrastructure.
  2. Interesting idea to have a consistent development framework/environment across both platforms if you're a development shop working with both platforms.
  3. correct link...[ Go to top ]

www.fitechlabs.com
  4. I agree that most non-trivial organizations will eventually use both platforms for different projects and needs. My first disclaimer is that I have only performed cursory research of xNova so I will not assert expertise. Secondly, I have worked for two large companies that have both .Net and J2EE projects.

I like the idea of a common (and hopefully consistently used) development framework across the platforms. I would like to see some documentation (maybe I should look harder if it already exists) that details how developers build solve distinct domain problems using similar architectures. It appears that they xNova are only attempting to provide some decent plumbing in caching, clustering, metadata and the XA tpm services. So, is this really just an endeavor to supply a common application server (using COA/component parlance instead of the more appropriate yet lacking expression for a SOA/SODA environment)? The prior question is not an attempt to spark any fires...

While I do believe there is extreme value in raising the abstraction level at which most application developers toil (in lieu of writing system services), I believe there may be more immediate value in attacking the patterns and periphery of current development groups. By patterns I mean using common OO and SOA methods. The periphery includes mostly the separate concerns arena like security, logging, diagnostic, unit testing, etc. It is exciting to see two project teams (one uisng .Net and the other J2EE) applying consistent methods for all of the above using ant, log4net/log4j, nunit/junit, etc. I think the .Net and J2EE platforms will continue to converge enough that will obviate the need for the common services as the void is diminished.

Do we need a common application server (or SOA services)??? The common caching and value object/metadata marshalling is compelling. Or, do we need to just use a common API for performing similar functions in both platforms???

Please feel free to read an early document that builds on this topic...

http://www.convergencephenomenon.com/doc.html
  5. But there is still a dependency on particular API in this case xNOVA which is not standardised. The whole of .Net and J2EE is to provide a industry standard programming model and not a programming model provided by a particular vendor.
  6. Hi Rajnikant,
    I agree that xNova APIs are not standardized. However, for most of the services we provide such as workflow, metadata and advanced object serialization, distributed cache, enterprise configuration, clustering, i18n, object pooling, job scheduling, etc. - there are no established standards (except may be for yet-to-be-standard JCache spec which is severely limited functionally). Many times, in order to provide innovative technology one has to often think outside of the box and make the first step.

Notice also, that xNova is in no way restricting developers to use standard APIs. In fact, they can continue to use any APIs they’re using currently within J2EE or .NET and use just one or two services provided by xNova. That is what SOA buys you.

Regards,
    Fitech Labs, Inc - xNova™, Service Oriented Architecture for Java and .NET
  7. <quote>
    However, for most of the services we provide such as workflow, metadata and advanced object serialization, distributed cache, enterprise configuration, clustering, i18n, object pooling, job scheduling, etc. - there are no established standards...
    </quote>

Isn't XML Web services the intended bridge between J2EE and .Net? All the way from the base of the stack, SOAP and WSDL to the orchestration layer based on BPEL4WS spec. Isn't this what customers would care about the most if a product that aims to serve both J2EE and .Net services is considered?

Cheers.

Jill.
  8. WS and xNova[ Go to top ]

Hi Jill,
    Let me clarify that xNova is not a J2EE/.NET bridge at all. xNova is significantly more broader technology that is best described as "SOA-based cross-paradigm middleware".

As far as WS are concerned, xNova aims at completely different applications and, actually, happily coexists with WS. While WS are just a set of protocols for cross-platform interoperability (mostly, RPC-based), xNova provides cross-paradigm set of services such as those you have mentioned in your question.

Another point is that WS is designed to be used primarily on outside endpoints of enterprise system where performance and scalability can be safely traded for easier integration. There are quite a bit of materials for reading concerning the problem of using WS for intra-operability within the system, notably mentioning dismal performance, scalability, and compatibility problems between different implementations (RPC semantic, security, etc.).

Further to the point, xNova provides a metadata and advanced object serialization service which does allow passing objects between Java and .NET (or Java to Java and .NET to .NET) with speed up to 50x times faster and generated payload 5x times smaller then native serialization routines. Performance difference with WS grows to nearly 1000x faster.

If you would like more information, please download our product.

Best regards,
    Nikita Ivanov
  9. WS and xNova[ Go to top ]

Nikita-
    By Service-oriented, do you mean a Jini like architecture?
    When and why would an enterprise project need a SOA architecture?
  10. WS and xNova[ Go to top ]

Hi Rajnikant,
    I think SOA and Jini have very little in common (it’s like comparing WS to RMI). Besides a large amount of literature available regarding SOA, probably one of the easiest ways to describe SOA is to compare it to Component Oriented Architecture (COA) that is well understood and widely used: while COA is primarily concerned with a local component, its properties and methods, SOA features clear “service providing” semantic, which is usually more coarse grained and has distinctive life-cycle management and certain longevity characteristics. For example, your entity bean is a component, when transaction manager is a service.

Most of the enterprise systems are already using SOA directly or indirectly. WS is one implementation of SOA. xNova provides SOA implementation that seamlessly plugs in into any Java or .NET hosting environment and provides number of unique services.

Hope it helps,
    Nikita Ivanov.
  11. WS and xNova[ Go to top ]

Nikita-
    Your product seems to interesting to make me look into it. I'll give a try.

rvsivalingam at yahoo dot com
  12. Hi Lance,
    First off, thanks for sharing this document. It was very interesting reading.

As far as documentation, you can download the product. It comes with decent amount of documentation and examples.

Let me also chime in a little bit on the general question you have raised.
    Cross-paradigm or convergent middleware is a complex concept to describe in short because its meaning is too broad without a particular product context, yet it quickly narrows when described in a context of such product.

Long before we have started development of xNova in Fitech Labs we realized several factors that have led us to xNova’s technical direction and positioning:
    - J2EE and .NET are both clearly heading to enterprise (Gartner estimates 80% of companies in a couple of years will use both)
    - J2EE/.NET lack many important services, yet JCP process, in case of Java, is slow and politicized to respond quickly, and Microsoft product planning is not open at all and often driven by purely marketing forces.
    - Significant and growing gap between development paradigms chosen by J2EE and .NET
    - Often misused technologies, notably EJB, and overcomplicated designs started to take a toll on many projects and many architects swiftly began switching to more lightweight environments such as JSP/Servlets engines or IIS-based systems to only discover that they are now missing many services they used to rely on.
    - Acceptance of SOA/SOAD propelled by early successful adoption of WS
    - ROI pressure is evident and people really do calculate TCO (at last).

xNova is clearly not a common application server and was not intended to be as such. We have no reason to compete with app servers providers but rather provide innovative technology that augments their offerings in many different ways. Notice also, that xNova does not require J2EE app server or Windows Server 2003 to run – via micro kernel layer xNova integrates practically with any Java or CLR-based environment.

I do believe that cross-paradigm middleware is a natural (re)evolution of today’s middleware technology. Using xNova product developers can cache the same object in both VB.NET client and Weblogic-based serve side, they can execute the same workflow rule-set using Managed C++ and Java, they can have a consistent strongly-typed configuration across Java and .NET worlds, they can exchange objects with performance nearly 50x times faster than native object serialization allows them.

Yet xNova can equally be used exclusively by homogeneous Java-only or .NET-only environments bringing the same advantages.

I can continue this list of technical features but probably most important aspect of cross-paradigm approach is removing a huge learning curve usually associated with heterogeneous type of development enabling a new level of knowledge, design, and expertise reusability across two very different development worlds.

Regards,
    Nikita Ivanov.