Netcraft Java Servlet Engines Report

Discussions

News: Netcraft Java Servlet Engines Report

1. Netcraft Java Servlet Engines Report (16 messages)

Netcraft last week published a note on stats it has collected on servlet engine usage around the net. According to Netcraft, JSP has been the fastest growing scripting technology after ASP.NET last year, but JSP sites are often bigger, more complex, and better funded. Tomcat and Resin were the #1 servers.

Read Java Servlet Engines.

Threaded Messages (16)

2. The fact that ASP.NET appears to be the fastest growing is probably just MS shops upgrading ot newer versions of IIS (which puts out new headers)... But I'm suprised that Weblogic so low on the list. Could there be a slip with how it is being recorded?

Perhaps netcraft doesn't count sites that front their Weblogic servers with Apache as weblogic sites (TSS is one example). I just typed in TheServerSide.com on netcraft and it indeed thinks we're only running Apache, despite the fact that TSS runs clustered across Weblogic and Oracle9iAS.

This might explain why IBM's number is so high. It's common to front your appserver with apache, and since Websphere ships with it's own Apache implementation, Websphere shops probably just use that (which puts out IBM HTTP headers).

Just some speculation...

Floyd
  3. Perhaps netcraft doesn't count sites that front their Weblogic servers with >Apache as weblogic sites (TSS is one example).

I think netcraft only analyzes the header of the HTTP response ( Server field).
    If you use a kind of proxy in front of your application server
    it depends on how the proxy behaves. With Apache/Weblogic Module and Weblogic
    server, you can choose in your Weblogic Server configuration not to make the
    server name appears in the HTTP response and replace it with Apache server
    name.
    I don't think that netcraft checks that: if the HTTP header shows Apache and that the server runs JSP pages it cannot be
    only composed of an Apache server.
    The only signature that they might rely on is the HTTP header.

Luc
  4. as told in the text: "With the proviso that a better and more accurate view can be had by taking more content from the site, and that sites using Servlet Engines with Apache, Microsoft and SunONE web servers would be not be included by this view, it is still possible to take a quick and simple view of what is going on from the HTTP server headers."
    they are not counting servers behind proxy, or behind apache or IIS.

they count just the front server.
  5. The vast majority of WebLogic sites are front ended by Apache, IIS or SunOne(iPlanet/Netscape). They provide proxy plug ins for all three. There are also a lot of WebLogic apps that are not public facing, so a crawler like this wouldn't pick them up.

I bet there is a way to pick up app server signatures if they could figure out the cookies or some consisitant way that they do their url rewriting for stateful apps, but again, it would only be a small subsegment of the apps out there.

Harvey
  6. Floyd,
    If you type www.theserverside.com instead of theserverside.com,netcraft shows that
    TSS is running on Oracle9iAS (9.0.3.0.0) Containers for J2EE, Sun-ONE-Application-Server/7.0 and unknown. And the unknown must be Weblogic,but netcraft is not able to figure it out.

Rahul
  7. IIS do not spit out any new headers for ASP.Net that is a stupid thought
  8. IIS / IIS.NET?[ Go to top ]

Balaji: IIS do not spit out any new headers for ASP.Net that is a stupid thought

Why is that a stupid thought? Please explain.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Easily share live data across a cluster!
  9. IIS / IIS.NET?[ Go to top ]

If you think otherwise, let me know. I do not see IIS overwriting Headers to emit ASP.Net related stuff. IIS can run both ASP and ASP.Net applications and also if you do not know you can control what headers that can be added.
  10. IIS does issue an asp.net header[ Go to top ]

Custom Header Name: X-Powered-By
    Custom Header Value: ASP.NET
  11. much obliged[ Go to top ]

Chengbin,

Perhaps you could please give us some examples (sites) that return "X-Powered-By: ASP.NET" in the header?

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  12. Extra info[ Go to top ]

(1) Netcraft recently contacted SUN's (servlet and JSP) spec people to introduce "X-Powered-By" for servlet and JSP engines. Hopefully, in future, we can count the number more accurately.

(2) What Floyd said is right. After Oracle purchased Orion's codebase, they have significant changes to their OC4J source code base already in 9.0.2, 9.0.3 and 9.0.4 release.

The changes include not limited to: better security, better transaction throughput (to achieve the best ECPERF result), better internationalization support and rework of the JSP engine also (e.g. OC4J 9.0.3 achieved JSP 1.2 functionality before Orion releases its own JSP 1.2 engine).
  13. misinformation[ Go to top ]

That would be nice but the claim here was that:

ASP.NET appears to be the fastest growing is probably just MS shops upgrading of newer versions of IIS… that spit out new headers for ASP.Net

That is not the case as anyone can easily test by just telnet to some sites. Neither IIS5.1 nor IIS6 does that. Only the SOAP header (correctly).

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  14. Is weblogic being counted right?[ Go to top ]

I notice that what you refer to NetCraft is "theserverside.com" not "www.theserverside.com", and they have different IP. So I think they are not the same box.
  15. Strange counting[ Go to top ]

Why they distingush between Oracle and Orion.
    As far as know technologically it's same product.
    Seems like these people is not really avare about market and products.
    So, such comparisons looks like advertisement.
  16. Strange counting[ Go to top ]

Mike, Oracle took Orion on a whole new development branch after buying the codebase from Orion. It would make sense that they'd at least change the HTTP headers. It's also possible that sites using Oracle's Web Cache product may be reported as 'Oracle'.

Floyd
  17. Strange counting[ Go to top ]

Oracle used JServ prior to Orion/OC4J takeover