Discussions

News: What will Java One be like this year?

1. What will Java One be like this year? (28 messages)

JavaOne "was all about Java. Now it's more like a Sun user group," said Scott Hebner, IBM Corp.'s director of marketing for the WebSphere application server. "I think the Sun presence has become Sun specific more than Java specific." A series of articles on SDTimes explore various perceptions of Java One and Sun's strategy for using Java to sell servers.

Related Articles:
    More Sun at JavaOne?.
    Sun Faces Challenges With Java One.
    JavaOne to Play Out Three Themes.

Last year, TheServerSide did day-by-day coverage of the Java One event, and will likely do it again this year. Check out TheServerSide @ Java One.

What have been your experiences at Java One?

Threaded Messages (28)

2. Figures[ Go to top ]

It figures. I finally find an employer that will send me to Comdex and JavaOne for "training" and first Comdex really sucked and now JavaOne might not be that great. Damn my timing.

By almost accident, after being bored with Comdex, I found out ApacheCon was going on down the street. Now that was a great conference: tons of interesting presentations, relevant BOFs, and a whole room dedicated to coding. If you ever have a chance, attend ApacheCon. It definately is the best of the bunch.
  3. If I were IBM, I'd love to see Java One as an IBM [WebSphere] user group.
  4. Looks like I'll be attending The ServerSide Symposium...more bang for the buck. I don't see how anyone can justify spending the money to go to JavaOne. Perhaps they're bringing back lots of trinkits and teeshirts.

Jim
  5. I think I walked off of the showroom floor last year with 5 or 6 books for free, including the latest Oreilly nutshell books. Considering I got a conference pass from a friend whose company was showing that year for free, that's not a bad take.

I'm looking forward to going this year for the first time. Hopefully it will be worth the money.
  6. see the link, it should a very interesting technical discussion.

http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=html&op=userdisplay&id=services/jbosstwo

Cheers,
    Ben
  7. Ben from JBoss ...[ Go to top ]

why is jboss a ".org"? Are you folks a non-profit? Doesn't seem like it (esp if you have millions of downloads as you claim)

just curious ...
  8. Ben from JBoss ...[ Go to top ]

I imagine because the Japanese folks who have www.jboss.com won't give it up cheap.
  9. Ben from JBoss ...[ Go to top ]

It was the only JBoss domain we could get, as the jboss.com is japan boss. 2,000,000 downloads are a public figure you can view at sourceforge.net under projct statistics. We do not make any money from these downloads, JBoss is FREE and always will be FREE as per the LGPL license.

If you are looking for a great technical talk with people from JBoss, Rational (IBM), and the founder of AOP, come to see the JBoss Two event.
  10. sic transit gloria mundi[ Go to top ]

To think that I spent $3000 of my own personal money to go to the first JavaOne conference in 1996! That I bought so many Java books I was not allowed to take all on plane..That for several years one of my most proud and envied possessions was the black tennis shirt with the Java logo that I bought at the Moscone center..

O vanity..

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
    (.NET developer)
  11. Role - Troll Fud[ Go to top ]

Hi Rolf

Is it just a coincidence that your name is an anagram of Role - Troll /FUD ?

Nick
  12. sic transit gloria mundi[ Go to top ]

aren't .net and developer mutually exclusive terms?
  13. sic transit gloria mundi[ Go to top ]

.Net might actually be a good product.
    However, I use XEmacs, CVS, JBoss, Ant, JUnit, XDoclet, Tomcat, Struts.
    You know why? I cannot afford anything else. I also use Visual Studio 6.0 at
    work ( C++, MFC, some ATL, some WinAPI ).
    You know what? I prefer XEmacs and Java. I guess it is a matter of taste.
    Microsoft might actually win vs. Open Source. But I stick to the toys I like.

Have a nice day.
    Razvan Caraghin
  14. sic transit gloria mundi[ Go to top ]

Razvan,

Can you imagine the elegant way you could call POJO's directly from Javascript at the server? (Speeding up asp pages 5-6 times). How perfectly easy it was to make COM objects with Java? How many exciting things there were in the pipeline with Java and windows?

Until Sun pulled the plug..

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  15. sic transit gloria mundi[ Go to top ]

That bad, bad Sun again. Kind of like that wolf in the Little Red Riding Rolf story. It seems that Scott McNealy took off enough time from his golf game to screw up poor Rolf's life. By actually demanding that Microsoft uphold its end of a contract. Oh, life is so unfair.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Easily share live data across a cluster!
  16. sic transit gloria mundi[ Go to top ]

Rolf,

Javascript is on the client side. JSP is on the server side. You can call all the POJO's in the world with JSP. I don't think one should mix presentation logic ( Javascript ) with server side business logic ( JSP and all other goodies ). At least that's what I know and Design Pattern Books I've read tell me ( I only have 3.5 years of experience as software engineer - hopefully,
    Java Entreprise Software Architect in the future if I can pass the exams ;) ).
    Microsoft way of dealing with java was breaking the code portability.
    I always felt that I can develop better software with java by following design
    patterns and such. Unfortunately, Microsoft sacrifices that in favor of
    easiness of developping. Which could be fine with small/medium applications. But it is a killer when it comes to big projects and code maintainability.

Sincerely,
    Razvan Caraghin
  17. sic transit gloria mundi[ Go to top ]

Actually, there's such thing as serverside javascript. It's not widely used these days anymore, although I think that few servers still support it (Sun's one used to, don't know whether it does now).
    Design patterns can be used in any language. Sometimes they are part of the language, but say VB has iterators even in VB 6. Hey, I even had to use some patterns (delegation, composition) to be able to actually make some things in VB w/o lots of copy paste.
    What tends to be the problem is that MS doesn't educate their developers nearly as much as say Java comunity. And when it does, you end up with things like "You don't need a grid control to simulate a simple table. Two partially overlapping ListBox controls will suffice." (direct quote from Programming MS Visual Basic 6.0). And then you wonder why so many of MS applications are hacks. (that is not to say I haven't seen any Java hacks, but I saw way less of them than VB/Visual C++ ones. Can't talk about .NET yet)
    Regards,
    Vlad
  18. sic transit gloria mundi[ Go to top ]

Vlad,

I didn't know there is javascript on the server side.
    I didn't make myself clear, I wasn't saying that you cannot apply design
    patterns using Microsoft software, just that it is harder. This is the
    tradeoff they make so that their software is more accesible/easier to use/easier to develop with. It is one of the reasons I don't prefer
    Microsoft's way in general. This is my opinion. You are free ofcorse to have
    your own. I can't speak of .Net.

Have a nice day,
    Razvan Caraghin
  19. sic transit gloria mundi[ Go to top ]

Javascript is on the client side. JSP is on the server side.

Using POJO's from JavaScript seems a strange idea, if it's used as server side
    script then why dont use JSP, it's even more powerful then JavaScript.

> Java Entreprise Software Architect in the future if I can pass the exams ;) ).

Good luck with SCEA exam ! I am going to get SCJP soon !

regards
    Maris Orbidans

PS I have found a great site about SCJP http://www.javacertificate.com
  20. sic transit gloria mundi[ Go to top ]

Maris,

Hopefully we will both pass our exams :)
    Thanks for the links.

Good luck,
    Razvan Caraghin
  21. sic transit gloria mundi[ Go to top ]

Just want the world needs. Having ASP calling directly to COM object is not enough, now you want javascript to call directly in to POJO and other server side components. Hum....should we thank Scott?
  22. sic transit gloria mundi[ Go to top ]

<quote>
    Can you imagine the elegant way you could call POJO's directly from Javascript at the server? (Speeding up asp pages 5-6 times).
    </quote>

Apache already supports this with its Bean Scripting Framework. BSF supports scripting Java objects in ECMAScript, Python, TCL, NetRexx, and Ruby. Whereas Microsoft only supported JScript, a closed-source implementation of a proprietary dialect.

Anyway, why are you moaning for server scripting without static typing and classes?
  23. Brian,

My god what a big fuss over nothing! If you compare Java/J2EE to anything today it must be .NET - nothing else.

But back in 1997-98 the possibility to use Java from ASP pages was a big advantage then. (then - is it difficult to understand?)

But as usual, sense of proportions or ability to discriminate is nonexistent in the Java camp. Very smart to compare something that existed five years ago with today’s technique (NOT).

Microsoft very fast took a big lead in Java development; I guess that was the real reason for Sun to sue. Any guess of what would have happen if MS had been allowed to go on is pure speculation.

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  24. And the rest of us ALWAYS wonder...
  25. Microsoft very fast took a big lead in Java development; I guess that was the real reason for Sun to sue. Any guess of what would have happen if MS had been allowed to go on is pure speculation.

Rolf, are you aware that the "big leap" microsoft took, actually broke Java, by inserting proprietary extensions which prevented it from running in any environment other than Windows OS?
  26. |
    |Microsoft very fast took a big lead in Java development;
    |

What the hell are you talking about?

-Nick
  27. Being on the east coast, i think theserverside symposium will have the best bang for the buck this year. Some pretty great speakers and topics at that show.
  28. Never been to JavaOne - IMNSHO it was almost always just a trade show (big one, and in my trade, but just that). I much prefer OOPSLA even when it was in Seattle (hey, the weather was actually reasonable for the weekend before and after) with heavy MS presence.
    Regards,
    Vlad
  29. JavaOne kind of caters to people new to Java or want to hear Sun marketing. , I was there a few years in a row, and no more.
    At this point in time I think there is more people not new to Java, that have deployed web apps.

.V