Q-Link Platform: J2EE for Everyone

Discussions

News: Q-Link Platform: J2EE for Everyone

1. Q-Link Platform: J2EE for Everyone (5 messages)

Q-Link Technologies Inc. announced a new version (5.0) of its dev platform that features component assembly and integration.

It aims to enable new or less experienced Java developers to build enterprise J2EE applications.

The technology consists of three main elements:

- IDE based on J2EE, XForms and XPath
    - Business process management services (workflow engine and business rules)
    - New application model that enables developers to visually build applications based on business objects rather than Java code.

Q-Link quotes:

"We provide an abstraction layer above the J2EE level, as well as a business process management offering," Wilson said. "Our product reduces complexity so the average developer can build out these kinds of applications."

Read: Q-Link Targets Novice Java Developers

We are seeing more and more RAD tools sitting on top of the "complicated" J2EE layer. Does/will this work?
  2. "...aims to enable new or less experienced Java developers to build enterprise J2EE applications."

Now that's a good idea.
  3. RAD-tools : J2EE for Everyone ?[ Go to top ]

"We are seeing more and more RAD tools sitting on top of the "complicated" J2EE layer. Does/will this work?"

In my humble opinion, RAD-tools build on top of e.g. J2EE help the developer in getting his job done faster. But I can't believe that such a technology will make life easier for new or less-experienced developers. With RAD-tools you can build a hello-world-app in no-time. But in real-life projects, you need to know the base-technology (e.g. J2EE) AND the RAD-tool in order to complete your project faster.

Remark: This opinion is based on other RAD-tools. I don't know Q-Link.

Regards, Tom Baeyens.
  4. I tried using Oracle Business Components for Java BC4J. This is similar RAD tool/framework like Q-Link. However, it took me a while to get used to the terminology, and the framework. YOu might as well spend that time learning J2EE details.

Abstraction frameworks on top of J2EE is a good idea whose time has not come yet.
  5. I think RAD has a place in the J2EE space. A simple example would be a WYSIWYG screen designer for JSP and/or Struts-based applications. Plus the ability to have on-screen components in your JSP "databound" and aware of model changes. BEA, IBM and others have announced upgrades to their development tools to provide this functionality.
    When you think about a new project/application, how many times do you simply build a screen that allows for List, Add, Update and Delete the records of a single database table? And if a RAD tool can generate those components for you it is a win.
  6. RAD Tools for J2EE[ Go to top ]

The use of RAD tools for J2EE development is a good idea.
    The popularity and the developer base of visual studio contributed a lot to the popularity of ASP.NET. For J2EE a developer face a plethora of tools from different vendors and associated learning curve (e.g. BC4J), added to the complexity of the J2EE itself. IMO, for J2EE to survive in the near future more and more consolidation of the RAD tools is required, like eclipse, and the development process should be made easy enough for the average developer.

Again a Tool should be used as a tool only, not as a replacement for learning of technology. With solid understanding of the technology, a developer can use RAD tools to expedite the development process.