Java/J2EE object persistence - challenging question

Discussions

EJB design: Java/J2EE object persistence - challenging question

1. We have an EJB application running in GemStone(app server).
    GemStone provides a persistent cache mechanism using which we have created simple java rmi objects that store/bootstrap into them static data(huge volume) from oracle db eg:- All import/export rules for all countries.
    Copies of these objects are looked up based on the need for the cached data, through normal JNDI by the stateless EJB while processing each transaction.

We are converting from GemStone to WebLogic due to inevitable reasons. But we think WebLogic does not provide any similar persistent cache mechanism.Is this true?
    If it is not true please suggest any alternative caching mechanism available in weblogic or advise if it can be achieved thru other third party tools.

I would appreciate and welcome your suggestions.
    Andrew Anand

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Challenging question - Answered[ Go to top ]

Hi Andrew,

I would point you to Tangosol's Coherence clustered caching product. By leveraging Coherence's Distributed Cache technology and it's read-through, write-through and write-behind support (for persisting cached data to a datastore) you could achieve the same architechture you have in place now with a small amount of changes.

Some other features worth mentioning, cluster-wide locking, cluster-wide event notification, Transactional caching, NIO and grid-computing support.

Later,
    Rob Misek
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Cluster your Work. Work your Cluster.
  3. Read only entity bean[ Go to top ]

Does WebLogic have read-only entity beans? By read-only here I mean the entity beans only read the data one time, not re-read. I remember WebLogic have read-only entity beans but I'm not sure their concept conform to this. If it does, you can use read-only entity beans for data caching.
  4. Re: Read only entity bean[ Go to top ]

Follow this link and search on ReadOnly :

http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs70/ejb/EJB_environment.html