TSS Announces Novell exteNd Application Server Added to Cluster

Discussions

News: TSS Announces Novell exteNd Application Server Added to Cluster

1. TheServerSide has added to its J2EE portability cluster, by launching an additional Novell exteNd Application Server server into the group.

The TSS application was ported to Novell exteNd, and has joined the distributed cluster (adding to the BEA WebLogic, Oracle9iAS, and Sun ONE Application servers).

We have written up the issues that came up with porting to Novell exteNd.

Read more about this Novell exteNd cluster launch in our article about it:
    http://www.theserverside.com/resources/article.jsp?l=tsscluster3

Read information about all of the cluster launches and issues:
    http://www.theserverside.com/resources/article.jsp?l=tsscluster

TheServerSide as an application now stands as a great example of J2EE portability in action. It's a production system with heavy loads (over 3.8 million pageviews/month) that runs with the same J2EE application binaries deployed across different vendors servers. Each server is J2EE 1.3 compliant and runs TSS in a consistent fashion.
    The same code is run on all servers. No <code>if (BEA_SERVER_TYPE.equals(server)) { .. }</code> nonsense.

Threaded Messages (31)

2. A huge step forward in building the worlds most complex bulletin board system!

No really though, its nice to see how little overall effort went into that port. I would like, as I believe others have mentioned, so see the work involved in launching an instance on an open source platform too, for example, JBoss. I know that there isn't going to be a corporate sponsorship to support that effort, but it would be interesting to have people try the port, even if it isn't added to the full live cluster.
  3. SETI@TSS?[ Go to top ]

Maybe we should make TSS like SETI, and have it distributed across machines that are users use. When the screen saver kicks in, a TSS server starts up and joins the cluster.

Now THAT would be the worlds largest portal cluster ;)

Dion
  4. SETI@TSS?[ Go to top ]

Maybe we should make TSS like SETI, and have it distributed across machines that are users use. When the screen saver kicks in, a TSS server starts up and joins the cluster.

>
    > Now THAT would be the worlds largest portal cluster ;)

Heck, use JAXP for local distribution so you can manage your TSS application load across your environment. We need to make sure the coffee machines and such can get in on the action too.
  5. Source code[ Go to top ]

Do we have source code of the TSS site(or framework that TSS uses) available for public (OSS) ?
  6. Source code[ Go to top ]

"EJB design patterns" has the TSS code (may be partial?).
    It is a free download from book section of this portal.

Alex V.
  7. Echo the sentiment, isn't it past time to add JBoss to the cluster?
  8. exteNd 5.0[ Go to top ]

Has there been any effort on Novell's part to remove the legacy Database dependencies from the App Server?
  9. Legacy Database Support[ Go to top ]

Database dependencies is currently slated to be removed in the 6.0 release.
  10. JBoss[ Go to top ]

What is it that you need to get JBoss added to the cluster? If JBoss Group is not willing to provide the support you need, I'm sure there are other interested people in the community that would provide it. Do you require cold, hard, cash?
  11. Here come the JBoss trolls ...[ Go to top ]

IMO, JBoss still isn't ready for primetime (inspite of the 7 billion downloads that they claim to have) ... at best it is suitable for a university course project.
  12. Why not[ Go to top ]

OK, why isn't JBoss ready for primetime? Just making a statement like that doesn't help. You need to back up your statement with some facts. Please share.
  13. I tried it for some very simple application, ended up with the possibility of a large rewrite to make it run on JBoss, (that's right, it is NO where close to J2EE compliant, hardly a surprise, since they haven't passed the compatibility test yet). The same app runs just fine on orion!

Again, I repeat ... JBoss is best suited for a small "hello world" app, nothing else!

Sorry!
  14. We just converted from Weblogic Portal to JBoss. It was easier to go from 4.0 -> Jboss than 3.5-> 4.0. <shrug>

Steve
  15. Steve Lewis said:
    We just converted from Weblogic Portal to JBoss. It was easier to go from 4.0 -> Jboss than 3.5-> 4.0.

What trouble you had with moving from (WLCS) 3.5 to (WLP) 4.0? Why was it easier to change to JBoss? Details would make some ground for the statement...
  16. I'll be giving full details probably in a review on here or something like that. Not quite yet, but soon. We had very few problems with JBoss. Pretty much all of them were our own fault and weren't too hard to figure out. Life is easier when you have the source.

Documentation, even good documentation, will only take you so far. Don't be afraid to grab the JBoss source, add some log messages, and truly see what is going wrong. The architecture is surprisingly simple when you get down to the nuts and bolts. We had more problems with 1.4 JVMs on Linux than with JBoss itself.

Steve
  17. JBoss is different from Orion and their docuementaion is bellow par (although the documentation
    you can buy is much better). However we have a rather huge application running on JBoss right
    now that makes use of many J2EE features including very complex CMP/CMR Entity beans and
    bean inheritance. JBoss works really fast and IMO is much better than most application servers
    out there. There are annoying things that you need to set up in the JBoss specific XML files but
    this isn't unique to JBoss. In terms of compliance, frankly I didn't see a problem.
    What specific area of J2EE isn't compliant? Why not file bugs and help out?
  18. "why not file bugs and help out"

no sirree ... thanks! I've had enough of Marc "suck my d***" Flowery and his antics. He was one of the main reasons we stopped using JBoss (too much 'tude) and rather than be publicly insulted for requesting documentation (as one poster was belittled for making a similar request), we chose to vote with our wallets and take our business elsewhere.
  19. JBoss is NOT ready for primetime ...[ Go to top ]

No offense, but that sounds like quite a lame answer. The documentation set is only $100. Compare that to the costs of even volume discounted license agreements (across a big corporation) for websphere, weblogic, etc., and it doesn't even come close. Regardless, if that truly was the reason why you decided not to use the software, I would say that you have a bigger problem on your hands.
  20. OK, so it isn't a technical problem with JBoss, the reason it's not ready for primetime is because you don't like marcf. Well, hey, lots of people don't like him, but that doesn't mean JBoss isn't a good product.

Look at all of the big software companies. All their CEO's are just a little bit off. Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, Sun and JBoss. So what.

If you are looking for good technical software based on the personality of a CEO, it must be extremely difficult to find quality software at your shop. :)

So JBoss is ready for primetime, marcf isn't. That's what you are really saying, right?
  21. So JBoss is ready for primetime, marcf isn't. That's what you are really > saying, right?

Did one of the other CEO's you mentioned ever call a user asking for documentation to suck his dick ? I don't even think you can compare someone as little as marcf with these really big people.
    JBoss is a very good Open Source product but it's far away from beeing better than WebLogic. JBoss is simply making too much noise. They rather should concentrate on good software and free excellent documentation. This alone would make them really successful. marcf is an just an average noisy man.
  22. 1) TSS, why not add Jboss? what are your reasons not to? Is it the app server vendors that do it?

2) You CANNOT say Jboss isnt ready for primetime because of a) marc fleury, b) documentation (granted, can be painful..), and c) because you can't get your app to work. if anything, you are making yourself look really stupid.

Primetime means different things to different people. Unless you have criteria you are judging by and can compare that with other appservers, you're just venting. you'll get more out of venting by seeing a therapist.

If your code is relatively portable and well written (meaning u designed it well) you should have no problems moving to Jboss (unless there is a specific jboss bug). If you are having problems, then look in the mirror, cuz that is where the problem is at. If you disagree, *prove* why Jboss is causing your app not to work and stop with teh unhelpful generic 'it sucks' comments.

peace.
  23. Just because you couldn't get your app deployed, doesn't mean it's JBoss's fault.

Publish the source code to the application and let others try it. If it is a problem of J2EE compatilbility, I'm sure someone will fix JBoss. If you just can't port it, then you really shouldn't blame JBoss for your inadequacies.

I think your comments are a little bit suspect because others (including me) have ported J2EE applications from a real J2EE certified app server to JBoss with little problems. Please back up your comments.
  24. Why not[ Go to top ]

JBoss the product may be ready for primetime. But the boss of JBoss is NOT ready for primetime. In case of problems with JBoss TSS people might get called pigs or asked to suck the dick of marcf. This is a high risk to consider before including JBoss.
  25. Here come the JBoss trolls ...[ Go to top ]

IMO, JBoss still isn't ready for primetime (inspite of the 7 billion downloads that they claim to have) ... at best it is suitable for a university course project.

I too would be curious to know why you believe this is the case? I've found it to be rather solid in my testing of the newer versions, and atleast as reliable as other commercial products. I'm not stress testing to an extreme degree, nor am I testing for every detail of every spec that it claims to support, but my code is running fine on there..
  26. Portability for J2EE[ Go to top ]

To my Friends that think Java/J2EE is blah blah blah ....

This shows the best of the portability.

Congrats to the TSS Team.

Regards,
    Mansoor
  27. Smooth porting[ Go to top ]

I don't have practical experience on this subject, but don't you think that changing the sequence of ports would bring up other issues?

I mean, there could have been more issues with adding the Novell (or any other) AppServer to the cluster when it was added before the Oracle 9iAS AppServer.

As a result, this may mislead people when they are making up their mind about an AppServer.
  28. Operational Issues[ Go to top ]

Hi

While its interesting to watch j2ee apps get deployed on different app servers within the same cluster - i would be interested in learning more about how TSS is finding the operational aspects of j2ee apps within the cluster.

for example how easy are you finding it to debug the applications under the servers (are the logs useful and relevant?), what sort of problems are experienced during normal operation of the app server? how do they manage their respective loads? how are they handling transactions and db access?

is there any chance of an article on this area of the cluster?

Martin
  29. Re: Operational Issues[ Go to top ]

Interesting question Martin. One of the problems that we have, is not being able to use one vendor console to monitor everything... which is a luxury that many people have. This is where a cool JMX UI that understands the values of each app server would be fantastic. We do some of our logging to get information (in the same type of log on each machine) and do get into the vendor logs. When we get some time, we should write up something about these issues.

Cheers,

Dion
  30. Why everybody hatin'?[ Go to top ]

Wow. A thread that originally had nothing to do with JBoss once again has people pissing and moaning. I have noticed that the JBoss comments fall into two categories...

- The rational category. These people acknowledge that some people from the JBG have been less than polite in some instances. They also know that JBoss is still quality OSS. While they don't condone said rude bahavior, they can see beyond this.

- The irrational category. These people anchor their entire view of the project to one rather lewd comment (more on that in a moment). These people make accusations about the quality of JBoss (Cary Bloom) without providing a shred of evidence. If you can't deploy a simple J2EE application of JBoss, perhaps the issue can be chalked up to PEBKAC. Oh, and quasi-clever puns like "Marc Flowery" only make you look dumber(er).

Now, about this Fleury comment. If my recollection is off, let me know. This is all from memory and I could not find it by searching the forum...

First of all, this is *such* old news. IIRC, this happened almost a year ago (pre 3.x release?). Whenever is was, Marc was always up rather late either coding or involved in the forums. One user asked a question *several* times - a question that I believe could have been answered by searching the forums. However, they persisted even after being told to RTFM. After some rude replies from the user, Marc went off and him. I remember reading this the first time and thinking, "I don't blame him." My guess is that this guy wasn't the first punk who did not want to do any leg work on their own - searching forums/mailing list, reading source code (God forbid!) I think he was the straw that broke the camels back and Marc had simply had enough of cry babies.

Anyway, it just seems to me that some people need to get over the "JBoss sucks" or the "JBG are a bunch of assholes" kick. Use it or don't use it. If you want to talk about it, lets discuss its technical merits. Otherwise, relax!

Ryan
  31. I don't care about cults of personality, like so many others here seem to. Many use Oracle and look at Ellison.

JBoss might be the best designed and performant J2EE appserver out there.

My problem with JBoss, and this IS related to the lack of sufficient up-front documentation, is its usability.

I install JBoss, start it up, and drop in my EAR. Somewhere in the reams of log output is a message stating what port the webserver is listening on. It's hard to find. There are other messages regarding port usage.

You really need to be a good sleuth the get going w/JBoss. I CAN do the sleuthing but I usually have other more pressing concerns when using an appserver.

Please don't tell me to fix it myself. That is another problem w/OSS.
  32. Cults[ Go to top ]

<me>
    I don't care about cults of personality, like so many others here seem to. Many use Oracle and look at Ellison.
     </me>

I wasn't implying anything negative about Mr. Ellison. I was just referring to the common reaction many have to his abundance of 'tud. Such as his recent statements that much of his competition will soon be out-of-business.

Hi, Ted. ;^)