Discussions

News: Brokerage Analysts Question Recent IBM Marketshare Numbers

1. A recent article from Barrons Online calls into question Gartner Group's recent marketshare survey that pegged IBM at 37% from 31% and BEA down to 29% from 34%, claiming that a number of brokerage analysts are disputing the figures, and research firms take un-audited numbers from vendors as facts.

Read Market-Share Blues (scroll down half way into the article).

A very similar article to this was published in January that had more detailed quotes and points:
    Barrons article casts doubt on IBM marketshare numbers.

Threaded Messages (9)

2. It's about time ...[ Go to top ]

That somebody started digging into all these outlandish claims by IBM re: market share! I don't see how Gartner could've accepted it as the gospel
    truth without doing a bit of investigation (especially when a large number
    of analysts have questioned IBM's market share "numbers").
  3. Are you talking about the same kind analysts people who did work for

MCI,ENRON etc???????

dude, They are just good enough for a white color job and live in highly paid rental house. More over, most of them are mama's boys so maturity of their predictions or analysis data is nothin worth other than a place in garbage box.
  4. It's about time ...[ Go to top ]

Agreed ... the analysts are full of it. What surprises me even more is how much IBM contributes to this FUD!!! I'm sure glad we don't do any business with them, never have, never will!

Many thanks to TSS for bringing this out in the open.
  5. Agreed...I would not say that brokerage analysts are necessarily any more 'impartial' than other kinds of analysts; for example brokerage analysts whose firms have banking relationships with the companies they are covering.

Randy Schnier
    I don't speak for IBM
  6. Bleah[ Go to top ]

Time and time again, Gartner Group has proven that they are not credible, that their numbers are not based on fact. They drum up numbers and documents to sell to management types that don't know better.
  7. sad[ Go to top ]

True, the sad thing is that many many companies still buy depending on what gartner says
  8. It's about time ...[ Go to top ]

That somebody started digging into all these outlandish claims by IBM re: market share! I don't see how Gartner could've accepted it as the gospel

> truth without doing a bit of investigation (especially when a large number
    > of analysts have questioned IBM's market share "numbers").

Its called MONEY, lots and lots of MONEY. Who do you think pays the bills at Gartner, IBM and others. THey will print whatever you pay them to. It is amazing that the public actually buys this research to them make buying decisions with. We would all be better off if that bubble had burst with the dot com wave. How many billion dollar industries did these analysts predict? They will go away soon, hopefully.
  9. Brokerage Analysts??[ Go to top ]

What do brokerage analysts know about the Java application server market?
  10. Gartner[ Go to top ]

There is a weird kind of circular logic that actually makes Gartner's analysis somewhat legit despite their obvious conflicts of interest. The logic goes:

The companies making the most money typically (with some exceptions) win IT markets through build or buy --> therefore they have the money to pay Gartner on an ongoing basis --> therefore they are long-term viable and customers should go with them over smaller, more technically advanced vendors>

Once you see how the industry works and accept that a show-me-the-money approach to tech analysis typically wins, it doesn't seem quite so crazy. The key is to accept that having the best technology oftern isn't the best predictor of success, a fact relatively smaller companies with better technology can't face up to. It actually works in the mid-term and CTO-level people aren't as worried about having bleeding-edge technology.

IBM is a monster and once they're going at a market hardcore you have to be really strong to compete. But BEA has made a good run at it.