Discussions

News: SAP DB to become a MySQL Product

1. SAP DB to become a MySQL Product (41 messages)

Yesterday, SAP Labs announced that it was turning over the Open Source database SAP DB to MySQL. Financial aspects were not released. Details are somewhat sketchy at this point, but SAP DB will become part of the MySQL product line and will be "re-branded" as MySQL.

SAP's press release:
     SAP Entrusts Its Database to MySQL Open Source Community

A letter sent to SAP DB customers provides some further information.

I have enjoyed working with SAP DB and actively promote it. This is an interesting move because it will hopefully allow SAP DB to move more into the mainstream and expand the developer base. Currently, SAP DB is developed for SAP customers first (as you would imagine) and other users second. Also, it looks like it might help MySQL to get a leg up on providing an enterprise database and expand its market quite a bit. It will be interesting to watch.

By the way, here is the response from a brief letter I sent to Rudolf Munz, Senior Vice President, GBU Development Platforms at SAP. I asked the following questions:

1.) What happens to the SAP DB code tree? Will it merge with mySQL or
    will it be a separate product? Or will the code tree just go away?

2.) Will SAP LABS do any work on the 7.5 fork or will it only do minimal
    work on 7.4?

3.) If the answer to (1) is that it will merge with mySQL, what versions of mySQL will end up as the co-product of SAP DB and mySQL?

Response:
    ------------------------------------------------
    Ray,

MySQL will offer a rebranded version of SAP DB as a MySQL product. So SAP DB does not go away and will also be offered in the future under as Open Source under GPL. The SAP DB team you know stays in place and takes care of the ongoing development and and support of SAP DB. Future SAP DB releases will come as planned. SAP is and remains responsible for the SAP DB code base. MySQL plans to
    add the rebranded SAP DB as a new product line to its present MySQL Classic and MySQL Pro product
    lines.

Regards,

Rudolf Munz

-----------------------------------------

Certainly an interesting move in the world of open source databases.

Cheers
    Ray

Threaded Messages (41)

2. The link was broken, but I believe this is what you were linking to:

Dear SAP DB Customer,

SAP is pleased to announce our recently completed partnership agreement with MySQL AB.
    This initiative is designed to strengthen and enhance our support for open source databases.
    Under the terms of this agreement, we will deliver the next generation of enterprise scale,
    open source database management systems based on SAP DB. We will combine the
    enterprise class DBMS technology of SAP DB with the open source popularity of MySQL.

MySQL is the world’s most popular open source database and is used in an estimated four
    million installations around the world, powering Web sites, data warehouses, business
    applications, logging systems, and more. Each day, the product is downloaded from the
    company’s Web site (www.mysql.com) approximately 30,000 times.

For existing SAP DB customers nothing will change. SAP remains faithfully committed to
    provide ongoing support and development for your SAP DB installations. The only
    difference you will notice is that externally, the current SAP DB product will be renamed
    under a MySQL branding.

In a multi-year development effort, SAP and MySQL AB plan to jointly build the next
    generation of a MySQL DBMS. MySQL AB will take the primary responsibility for
    development and product management of this new product. Product support will evolve into
    a tiered approach between the two companies. Until that time, SAP will continue to take
    primary responsibility for development and support for the rebranded SAP DB product.

SAP has entered into this agreement for the primary benefit of our customers and the future
    benefit of the SAP DB product. MySQL AB delivers product focus and access to the world’s
    largest open source DMBS community. SAP DB customers will continue to enjoy the
    benefits of an enterprise-class open source DBMS and the perspective of a quickly growing
    community of MySQL end users, consultants, DBMS service companies and independent
    software vendors.

We look forward to keeping you updated with continued developments in the coming
    months. If you have further questions please do not hesitate to contact Rudolf Munz, Senior
    Vice President, GBU Development Platforms via email at: rudolf dot munz at sap dot com

Kind regards,
    SAP AG

Karl-Heinz Hess
    Extended Management Board
  3. Sorry about the broken link!

Also, here is the link to the mysql.com announcement:

http://www.mysql.com/news/article-351.html

Cheers
    Ray
  4. A Response from SAP AG[ Go to top ]

Thought I would post this - SAP sent this out on their mailing list:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear SAP DB Community,

Through our partnership with MySQL AB and a MySQL rebranding of SAP DB, we will head to get a bigger share of the DBMS market inside the SAP customer base as well as in the non-SAP market. This will improve both our visibility and our market perception.

MySQL is the most popular open source DBMS. Our partnership combines enterprise-class DBMS technology with the power of the most quickly growing open source community. Together we want to create enough momentum to become the number four in the DBMS market. What Linux is for operating systems today,
    we intend to become for database management systems in the future. Our partnership will expedite the growth of the MySQL ecosystem of end users, consultants, DBMS service companies, and independent software vendors.

Starting in Q4 2003, SAP DB will be renamed under a MySQL branding. SAP AG remains responsible for ongoing development and support. So SAP may have given up the DBMS market but has not given up the development of DBMS technology. The rebranded version of SAP DB will be promoted and offered inside
    the SAP customer base together with SAP applications as well as outside the SAP market. The rebranded version of SAP DB will be part of MySQL AB's product portfolio in addition to its present product offerings. In this way, the large community of MySQL users gets the alternative of an
    enterprise-ready database product. Contrary to erroneous press reports, SAP AG has not given up any rights concerning the SAP DB code base nor handed over or even sold SAP DB to MySQL AB.

The rebranded version of SAP DB will be no longer published under the present licensing model: LGPL for all client libraries and GPL for the rest of the system. Instead, MySQL AB will offer the rebranded SAP DB under their proven business model. It will be available as open source software
    completely under GPL as well as under a commercial license at commodity prices. This will be the only real change for the present SAP DB user community.

Best regards,

Your SAP DB Team
  5. We bundled SAP DB with our Applications because it gave our customers had a good feeling about "their database being from SAP" but paying half the price for the software.

It's not long before SAP DB was released unter the GPL/LGPL, so I can't see a reson for such a actionism: dropping the brand, selling the product to a company with a revenue of 5 million $ a year, forcing their customers to relay on a database brand like MySQL. Hey, SAP: where is your well-known patience, reliability?

Now I have to tell my customers that there is no SAP DB any more. Well, not a bad opportunity to switch to PostgreSQL without that virulent GPL.

Ciao
    Martin
  6. Good Luck With PostgreSql[ Go to top ]

Subselects, PgSql, Referential integrity... Much more fun than MySql. Do support their port to Windows!
  7. With PostgreSql[ Go to top ]

I agree with f. g.

www.postgresql.org is much better product and much better license.

.V
  8. ...you've used SAPDB?[ Go to top ]

Vic, I know you haven't used SAPDB :)

...so the PostgreSQL comment is just a raw publicity plug.

I've had a friend hit the wall with PostgreSQL in terms of size and performance. He hopped to SAPDB and it's running fine again. PostgreSQL doesn't scale as easily and effortlessly as SAPDB.

Posty's ok, but it's no SAPDB (my plug :P ).

And BTW: The license on SAPDB is truly excellent, practically a BSD licence. I'm worried about it taking on the current MySQL license in the future. Think I'll have to stick with the current version of SAPDB.

Arron.

[OT]PS: What's up with your email?... I can't get through. DNS says there's "no such user". Email me or something.
  9. ...you've used SAPDB?[ Go to top ]

I can only support that point. I used to use PostgreSQL but ran in some trouble with the performance of the system. I decided to switch to SapDB and got an increase of more than 400%.

Nice thing was also that I didn't have to VACUUM.

After working a bit with SapDB I'm now of the opinion that it's much better than PostgreSQL in a number of ways. Backup of the data and handling of VLDBs being only two points.

I don't want to say that PostgreSQL is a bad database, but from my experience with both RDBMS I gained the opinion that I definitely prefer SapDB.
  10. It's called share-alike[ Go to top ]

Well, not a bad opportunity to switch to PostgreSQL without that virulent

> GPL.

Whom do want to impress? Please don't call the GPL virulent. If you want to look professional use share-alike.

The Creative Commons site even has a great icon @ http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sa/1.0/ to explain share-alike to business folks. They even have comics to explain the licensing, you might wonna have a look.
  11. Share-Alike Errata[ Go to top ]

Sorry for the text-only share-alike link.

Here's the live version: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sa/1.0/
  12. GPL or LGPL?[ Go to top ]

MySQL takes a pretty aggressive stance on their GPL license. If you so much as include their binary JDBC driver with your app, then they say you must open source the app or commercially license. (Since you do not statically link to their drivers, is this even a correct interpretation of GPL?)

SAPDB is a lot less restrictive in their approach. You need to redistribute any changes any changes you make to the core db, but the drivers are LGPL, and you are allowed to use them in your own app without running into licensing issues.

I rather assume that the next-gen version of SAPDB (the one being co-developed with MySql) will use the more restrictive licensing approach.
  13. GPL or LGPL?[ Go to top ]

From the SAP DB mailing lists, there seems to be a few people interested in maintaining a fork of SAP DB, at least for the client portions (JDBC/ODBC) which are LPGL'd.
  14. GPL or LGPL?[ Go to top ]

Sorry to sound naive I don't particular care . My organisation use PostgeSql for RDBM'S as well NXD Xindice for our xml stuff,I have played and toyed with Mysql and love it So I look forward to this relationship blossoming and I exspect the others are watching with baited breath .
  15. It's called share-alike[ Go to top ]

Whom do want to impress? Please don't call the GPL virulent. If you want to look professional use share-alike.

Sorry, I did not intend to say that GPL is evil or something like this. I just wanted to say that because of philisophical reasons I prefer BSD-like licenses. They don't tell me what to do. I called the GPL virulent because it shared ONE (just this one) charactic with a virus.

We published some of our products under a BSD-like licence and some under the LGPL because we want to provide our customers with maximum value. Restrictions always reduce the value of a product. That does not mean that I prefer a bad BSD-licenced RDBMS over a good closed-source one. I just think it's a good thing to choose the product with less restrictions if you have the economic freedom to do so.

There are tons of discussions about this topic all over the net.

I just want some continuity and reliability in my business. So if a vendor changes it's licence politics in a way that customer rights are restricted that reliability is broken. We don't trust such companies and that's exactly what we're telling our customers all the time.

Gerald, perhaps everone of us has a slightly different view on professionality.
    Since we sell our software to customers in Central Europe, there is absolutely no need - from the professional point of view - to care about the GPL or most software licences designed for the legal system in the USA.

But again: it's all about the freedom to choose and reliability in product politics - not about bashing GPL, SAPDB or MySQL (we'll still have heavy use of all of them in our company because they are good stuff).

Bye
    Martin
  16. I just wanted to say that because of philisophical reasons I prefer BSD-like

> licenses.

I guess what you want to say is "You want a free lunch" that is, you don't want to pay money for a commercial license if break the GPL rules (such as the share-alike clause).

> Gerald, perhaps everone of us has a slightly different view on
    > professionality. Since we sell our software to customers in Central Europe,
    > there is absolutely no need - from the professional point of view - to care
    > about the GPL or most software licences designed for the legal system in the
    > USA.

I don't think that you can do as you please and simply ignore licenses. Have you ever heard about the WTO (World Trade Organization)? You might wonna look it up.

- Gerald
  17.  I don't think that you can do as you please and simply ignore licenses. Have you ever heard about the WTO (World Trade Organization)? You might wonna look it up.

>
    >   - Gerald

What's your point with WTO? I think that all Central European countries are members or observers at least. If you imagine that intellectual property means the same for US and Central Europe than please wake up and take a look at real life.
  18. Politics 101[ Go to top ]

What's your point with WTO? I think that all Central European countries are

> members or observers at least. If you imagine that intellectual property means
    > the same for US and Central Europe than please wake up and take a look at real
    > life.

I let you in on a little secret. I'm originally from Austria which the tourist industry promotes as the heart of (Central) Europe.

Anyway, even if you're lets say in Poland you can't just observe the WTO rules, that is, pick and choose and do as you please like in the old communist days.

Soon Poland and a dozen more countries will join the European Union and give up their sovereignity. European Law supersedes national law and if the European Union puts out lets say a copyright directive its binding for all member states.

So you might wonna read up intellectual property issues.
  19. GPL[ Go to top ]

<gerald>
      Soon Poland and a dozen more countries will join the European Union and give up their sovereignity.
    </gerald>

What planet do you live on?

Besides, this is completely beyond the original point, which was the viral aspect of the GPL. Deny it as much as you can, but it's a fact, it's how it is perceived and guess what, GPL advocates take pride in it.

The fact that a product shipping with GPL parts has to be GPL itself is the very definition of the license. Nothing to get riled up about.

--
    Cedric
    http://beust.com/weblog
  20. No politics please[ Go to top ]

I tend to believe in borders, language and culture. They work in politics and so they should in the dev world.
  21. GPL[ Go to top ]

<gerald>

>   Soon Poland and a dozen more countries will join the European Union and give up their sovereignity.
    > </gerald>
    >
    > What planet do you live on?

I guess Gerald lives on a planet where Brussels-like bureaucracy and corruption met Austrian-style ÖVP-SPÖ weeling and dealing (being succeeded by a FPÖ-Euro nightmare). ;-> Don't mind what I'm writing - just kidding. ;-)

In Poland, the Czech Republic and Hungary courts and parliaments have other things to care about than making OS-licences legal.

> The fact that a product shipping with GPL parts has to be GPL itself is the very definition of the license. Nothing to get riled up about.

You're right. But I'm worring about the future of our CPL-licenced bundled products. As you could read the SAPDB API won't be LGPL any more. We want our customers (public sector) and their folks (connected authorities) to get more value (flexibility, freedom, independence, reliability). Now, we've to unbundle future versions of SAPDB, so our customers won't be able to spread the product through their networked organization as easy as they can now.

Bye
    Martin
  22.  I guess what you want to say is "You want a free lunch" that is, you don't want to pay money for a commercial license if break the GPL rules (such as the share-alike clause).

We want to publish software under BSD-like licences because we don't want our customers to end up in a dead end, unable to change the direction.

The GPL prevents us to publish under a BSD-like licence if we include GPLized software. LGPL or BSD-like licences do not prevent anyone to publish the derived/accumulated product under the GPL.

Got the point?

>  I don't think that you can do as you please and simply ignore licenses. Have you ever heard about the WTO (World Trade Organization)? You might wonna look it up.

I don't want to ignore the wishes of developers and publishers and I realize that licences are very clear expressions of their wishes.

When I'm talking about less or even no applicability of the GPL in Central Europe I mean there is absolutely no clarity how to apply national law on it.

The WTO is neither a court nor a legal instance. Every country has in the forst place it's own national laws.

In most countries it's even impossible to rely on terms of trade in a foreign language. It's not clear, how to apply terms of trade laws, about gift laws and copyright laws.

In one country the GPL would be a contract about a gift (with certain conditions and no liability), in others it's completely invalid or at least partly (i.e. German AGBG does not allow § 11).

I would not rely my business on rights derivred from the GPL.

Bye
    Martin
  23. Great News[ Go to top ]

SAP DB and MySQL are my favorite open source databases. I have also used Interbase/Firbird, but will not use it in new projects.

SAP DB is mach more advanced, but I am not satisfied width SAP DB adoption rate. It is not good idea to bind yourself to open source product that is not adopted wide enough. MySQL is No 1 open source database brand; database is wide adopted and well supported by third party products, but lacks many common RDB features.

Integrating SAP DB technology and MySQL market position is right way. I predict great future for "MySQL SAP edition".

MySQL supports many database engines (MYISAM, INNODB, BDB,…) with the common front end. SAP DB has 4 SQL modes: INTERNAL, ANSI, DB2 and ORACLE. It should not be too difficult to put SAP DB database engine under MySQL front end or to add MySQL mode in SAP DB.

Nebojsa
  24. Great News[ Go to top ]

Can someone compare MySQL, SAP DB and Firebird?
  25. Comparision[ Go to top ]

I tested sapdb, oracle, sqlserver and postgres a few months ago for performance and compatability with the company's software. sapdb has a serious limitation in that a select can only return 8080 bytes of data. If a column is unicode, that's 2 bytes per character.

But what I could get running on sapdb was BLAZINGLY fast. It was 3x faster than oracle. postgres was 2-3x slower than oracle. The others (sqlserver, db2) were usually 10-40% slower than oracle.

We gave up on postgres because of its slow performance and db2/sapdb because of limitations in each system. Basically we decided to support only oracle and sqlserver. We decided not to even test mysql and firebird because this was enterprise software - the customers just would not accept it.
  26. Comparision[ Go to top ]

>
    > I tested sapdb, oracle, sqlserver and postgres a few months ago for performance and compatability with the company's software. sapdb has a serious limitation in that a select can only return 8080 bytes of data. If a column is unicode, that's 2 bytes per character.

Could you please elaborate this. What does it mean:

<quote>a select can only return 8080 bytes of data</quote>

If it is really issue, every other advantage should be divided by 10....

MilanT

27. > Could you please elaborate this. What does it mean:
    >
    > <quote>a select can only return 8080 bytes of data</quote>
    >
    > If it is really issue, every other advantage should be divided by 10....

Maximal internal length of a table row is 8088 Bytes.

You can see memory requirements of a column value per data types at:
    http://www.sapdb.org/htmhelp/ff/baaba8d55a11d2a97400a0c9449261/content.htm

It is not so strong limitation, but I generaly don't like this kind of limitations.

Nebojsa
  28. Thats not entirely true .You can have blob fields of upto 8gb. So if you have varchar fileds that needs more that 8k , blob it!
  29. Comparision[ Go to top ]

<quote>a select can only return 8080 bytes of data</quote>

MilanT: If it is really issue, every other advantage should be divided by 10....

Sybase / MS SQL Server had a hard limit of 2K per row ... sometimes it was annoying but it typically wasn't a problem.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Easily share live data across a cluster!
  30. Another comparison[ Go to top ]

This is my opinion rather then objective comparison table.

I am using Interbase 6.0. It is good choice for desktop solution (when database and client application is on the same machine) scalable to workgroup (one desktop machine has database and act as database server or there is dedicated workgroup server machine). Database is in single file and the pathname of database file is database name. Database server features are relatively complete (inner queries, transactions, integrity, views, stored procedures). Interbase is good Microsoft JET alternative, but Interbase is in addition real database server. Firebird development is to slow and focused on core database, not on Windows installer, ODBC, documentation. Documentation set is Interbase 6.0 documentation in PDF files (it seams that documentation "source" is not open), Windows installation is trickily, there is no free ODBC driver for Interbase/Firebird, I had to use unstable and bad designed Interclient JDBC driver too long. You steel can buy new versions of Borland Interbase, but Firebird has disappointed me.

I recognize SAP DB as "near Oracle" option. Feature set is reach, database performs well, installation is just little easier then Oracle installation, memory footprint is not small, there is reach set of command line utilities, good Windows and Web based Database manager and Windows based SQL console application. SAP DB provide JDBC, ODBC, Embedded SQL in C/C++, Perl, Python and PHP interface. Documentation is complete end regularly updated. SAP DB looks professional.

I have started to use MySQL as "Web application file system that can scale to RDBMS". "Save" in desktop application means "save to file", but save in Web application means "save to database". So, if your question is "Where I should save data in my Web application?", then MySQL is OK, but if the question is "Where to store mission critical data of my business?", then I am not sure about MySQL. MySQL is maturing and collaboration with SAP may make MySQL/SAPDB answer to both questions.

Nebojsa
  31. Firebird[ Go to top ]

I am using Firebird 1.5 RC2 right now. I have been using Firebird 1.5 for 6 months through all their betas and release candidates. I have been satisfied with the performance and the features provided as well as with the development speed and direction.

There is an open source ODBC driver for Firebird as well as several commercial ones. Plus there are open source .NET data provider and Type 4 JDBC driver.

Artem Kornilov
  32. Firebird[ Go to top ]

There is an open source ODBC driver for Firebird

Please, give me the URL. There is ODBC driver page on Firebird Web site, where you can read "Sub-project specific material is not yet available."

Nebojsa
  33. My question is : how do you bundle your app with databases? If you get a commercial license for GPL software, how much does it cost ? What if you wanted to allows customers to download your software --do you still have to buy a license for every download ? What sort of prices do MySQL or MCKOI charge ?
  34. Dumbest decision ever ![ Go to top ]

The best thing about SAPDB was the "SAP" prefix. I could walk into my client and tell them about SAPDB and they would recognize the brand. Nobody would question its competence. MySQL would most likely scare everone: its relatively unknown among the C-level execs . That with GPL issues ( try explaing GPL to an Organization running Windows Servers!) will most likely mean an unmitgated disaster for companies such as mine that bundled SAPDB with its products!

So long SAPDB! You were the best!

;-(
  35. Dumbest decision ever ![ Go to top ]

Full Ack. The second best thing about it is, that it is for a lot of practical purposes compatible with Oracle 7. And this is exactly what is needed with 98% of all database backed application: Reliable transcations and Re-use of a lot of Oracle SQL knowledge combined with one of the best brands in the industry. Reminds me of the good old new economy days - Put a stupid name on it, nobody knows and people will buy from you.... MySQL is not a bad product but among execs it is known (if at all) as "The database that you use if you back a basic PHP Website or a Bulletin Board with a database".
  36. There are people who are scared of an open source databases and people who are looking for a good open source database.

Who should be target of SAP DB?

SAP has already decided to put database in open source, not just to cut database price. This decision may be dumb or not, but decision to collaborate with MySQL is logical consequence now. I like this decision more then Borland's decision to stop open source Interbase development and to sell new Interbase versions.

Nebojsa
  37. Re: Dumbest decision ever ![ Go to top ]

MySQL is a good db , no doubt it will get better with SAPDB acquisition/merger (?). But they force GPL license on app developers by GPLing their JDBC driver. SapDB had LGPL jdbc drivers. wjich made it easy to bundle in an App without worrying about GPL issues. No MySql will GPL SAPDB(whatever the merged product may be)

Thats why MySQL sucks in my opinion!
  38. Re: Dumbest decision ever ![ Go to top ]

So pay for a license to use it commercially.
  39. JConnector licence?[ Go to top ]

If I buy MySQL database server, do I get a license to connect to this server by JConnector?

Nebojsa
  40. Re: Dumbest decision ever ![ Go to top ]

So pay for a license to use it commercially.

Thats not always feasible! If I am selling an App that can support HSQL. McKOI and MySql/SAPDB and the user is free to pick any one db, why should I buy a license for MySql/SAPDB driver when it the end user may not even use MySql/SAPDB ?

I am providing an eval version for download and it is quite likely that not every person who downloaded the software buys it, so why do I have to buy a commercial license for every download ?
  41. i think this move is more of a counter-measure by SAP to defend its ERP turf from encroachments by Oracle, Microsoft and IBM who use their respective dbs to get in. By helping Mysql grow into enterprise heights, SAP could recommend a db other than that of its 3 big rivals. It could also harvest on Mysql's installed base when these businesses grow big enough to afford SAP. Here is where open-source makes money sense to SAP :)
  42. Just as a kind of followup - I've been following the mailing list at http://www.sapdb.org and one of the SAP guys put together these points for those of you who are interested.

Cheers
    Ray
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

* SAP AG has not given up any rights with respect to SAP DB or its code base
    * Ongoing development and support of SAP DB is under the responsibility of our team inside SAP's technology development
    * MySQL AB becomes a reseller of SAP DB
    * The MySQL rebranding of SAP DB will be done in release 7.5
    * The content and development plan for this release will be published as soon as the planning process is finished
    * The license changes from LGPL to GPL will become effective with the rebranded version 7.5
    * All earlier SAP DB versions (e. g. 7.3 and 7.4) stay under the present LGPL/GPL licensing model

* SAP AG has not given up any rights with respect to SAP DB or its code base
    * Ongoing development and support of SAP DB is under the responsibility of our team inside SAP's technology development
    * MySQL AB becomes a reseller of SAP DB
    * The MySQL rebranding of SAP DB will be done in release 7.5
    * The content and development plan for this release will be published as soon as the planning process is finished
    * The license changes from LGPL to GPL will become effective with the rebranded version 7.5
    * All earlier SAP DB versions (e. g. 7.3 and 7.4) stay under the present LGPL/GPL licensing model