Trifork Releases Trifork Application Server 3.3

Discussions

News: Trifork Releases Trifork Application Server 3.3

1. Danish J2EE vendor Trifork has released version 3.3 of the J2EE 1.3 certified Trifork Application Server. The release adds Hot deployment, Automatic redeploy, Mapped archives, Persistent web sessions, Client management and LDAP integration.

Check out www.trifork.com.

Press Release
    -------------------
    Aarhus, Denmark – June 9, 2003: Trifork the Danish manufacture of certified J2EE Application Servers and consulting services has released version 3.3 of the Trifork Application Server, a J2EE 1.3 certified server with a number of new features increasing usability.

Major new features in the Trifork Application Server are:

Hot deployment: Makes deployment as simple as copying files.

Automatic redeploy: The Trifork Application Server monitors your deployment and redeploys automatically when files are changed.

Mapped archives: No more copying files just to create a J2EE archive. Using mapped archives the server reads directly from your preferred project structure. Imagine what mapped archives and automatic redeploy would do to your development cycle.

Persistent web sessions: Continue a web session across redeployment or server restart. This is especially useful when testing web applications manually from a web browser.

Client management: Allows you to centrally manage and monitor thick clients.

LDAP integration: Authenticate against external LDAP such as Open LDAP, Novell eDirectory, Microsoft Active Directory, and others.

The server is now available for trial download at www.trifork.com.

About Trifork
    Trifork A/S is a J2EE™ licensee working as a software and consulting company specializing in Java™ 2 Enterprise Edition technology. Trifork develops and markets a complete J2EE platform, the Trifork Application Server. Furthermore, Trifork provides advanced consulting services covering all aspects of the J2EE technology.

The Trifork Application Server is a fully featured and 1.3 certified J2EE application server built to handle enterprise level demands. It provides high-speed Web, JSP and EJB services, by keeping resource usage low and allows more users and transactions on the same physical hardware.

Trifork A/S is based in Aarhus, Denmark. For further information, please visit www.trifork.com or contact our Sales Department at +45 8732 8787 or sales at trifork dot com.

Threaded Messages (8)

2. Someone please explain why I'd buy this app server. It's expensive, and developer licenses cost money. So why would I buy this over Orion, JRun, or other "light" J2EE servers that have a longer/better track record, and all (if not more) of the features in this product, as well as wider support? JRun has all of these things and probably more (like the Merant JDBC drivers that come with it).

That's really not a rhetorical question. I really wanna know? $10,000 for a little used, little tested J2EE server or JRun/Orion at about $900/$1500, with all the same goods.

I'd also like to know about the LDAP integration stuff that is touted. Is it proprietary?

Jason McKerr
    Northwest Alliance for Computational Science and Engineering
  3. Pricing[ Go to top ]

Jason,

I think that people in America view Trifork as a little used, little tested app. server, but I believe that it is big in Europe. I remember seeing some large European customer as reference on their site last year.

There always seemed to be three tiers of app servers. There's the high price - WebLogic, WebSphere, Sun ONE, etc. There's the low cost like JRun, etc. Finally the free like JBoss and Jonas. Which tier your product is in is a business decision. Somethings you make more profit with lower price, sometimes with a higher price.

Mike
  4. Pricing[ Go to top ]

Mike,

The european thing may be true, but it still doesn't seem to be anywhere near a market leader.

My realy questions are about functionality. What does it really have that JRun/Orion don't have. I don't see much. And both JRun and Orion are used in some pretty big systems.

In a nutshell, what does it have that either a) justifies the price increase over JRun/Orion or b) a customer would be better served with it than Weblogic/Websphere?

Jason McKerr
    Northwest Alliance for Computational Science and Engineering
  5. Pricing[ Go to top ]

Dear Jason

As for pricing we have set the price to be the lowest on the market at $895 pr. hardware unit, you can get any Linux system up and running. With that you get 3 developer licenses included.

The Trifork server has actually been on the marked since 1998, and is well known and well proven in its home country, Denmark, as well we are expanding in to other countries and has been in the US since 2000.

The Trifork server contains all the features you describe. It has bundled JDBC drivers from DataDirect (Merant), its fully certified against J2EE 1.3, it runs on any platform, JMX based management (compliant to the new J2EE Management spec - JSR77), micro-kernel based architecture etc...

Besides that, we have a build-in Application Profiler using only 2-5% overhead, ClientLauncher to keep your thick clients up-to-date, Ant integration allowing you to completely configure your server from a single Ant script, and more.

The Developer license cost is due to the fact that more and more developers being forced by corporate decisions to deploy on WebSphere and WebLogic, have started using the Trifork server in their development environment because of its low memory footprint and fast compile-link-run cycle.

The LDAP integration is a generic LDAP Security Realm that can be configured to match any LDAP tree. We also supply an open API, which allows you to write your own realm implementation and plug that directly into the Trifork server. Nothing proprietary here...

Best regards
    Jesper
  6. Pricing[ Go to top ]

As a result of the response we have been getting here on TSS and when we were at JavaOne we have changed our pricing structure.

Now we have a license for non-commercial use for free. Have a look at www.trifork.com

Best regards
    Mads
  7. European[ Go to top ]

The european thing may be true,

not that I know of. Maybe restricting this statement to denmark will do the job
  8. Pay for a dev license?[ Go to top ]

<developer hat>
    I guess the first thing that turns me off about this product is paying $400 for a developer's license. I love products like Resin/Orion/etc where you only have to pay for production licenses.
    </developer hat>

<cio hat>
    From a pure business perspective, I could only justify buying dev licenses for a product that offers something that the other "free-dev-license-vendors" don't offer.
    </cio hat>

Just my 2 cents....but I do like their website....clean and easy to navigate.
  9. Met Trifork guys at JavaOne[ Go to top ]

Last week I began a consulting project for Trifork. Trifork makes a Sun certified J2EE application server that is meant to be integrated with your application. I got to meet a bunch of the Trifork people. They impress me as the little company that "can do." Also, the team knowledge is great. For example, Lars Bak (inventor of HotSpot) is on the team. At Javaone Trifork released the Trifork Application Server 3.3 and started offering a JDO engine in partnership with POET. -Frank Cohen, PushToTest