Any better solution for system properties?

EJB design: Any better solution for system properties?

1. Any better solution for system properties? (7 messages)

Hello everybody,

In EJB 2.0, we can get some environment propertise from ejb-jar. This is very useful for constant import. But I was noted that the above machnism is for a bean, not for entire application/system. Our application needs some important parameters to be initiated at starting time, it is better I can store those parameters out of code. The bean's environment property solution is not good for me, cause it work for specific bean, do you guys know how should I do this?

Thanks a lot!

Threaded Messages (7)

2. If you need a global manager for loading and initializing properties that will be available to all components in your ejb and web containers, then I would suggest using a simple property file. Create a singleton manager that loads the property file and stores it inside a static hashmap and makes it available to calling components via PropertyFileManager.getResource(""), or something like that.

Since the property file manager is a singleton, all requests are centralized to a single class, preventing the property file from being loaded twice.

That's one suggestion.

3. Oh, yeah, singleton is a good choice.

.....why am I forgot it?...

4. once more[ Go to top ]

I could use a singleton to load parameter at once system start, but I have to transfer a OS dependent parameter to this singleton (example, the config XML file name). If I migrate system from WIN to UNIX, I still have to modify code and compile to run. How to prevent modify code?

Thanks for your advice.

5. once more[ Go to top ]

one way is to avoid the problem that you are explaining is to :

use a startup class to load the singleton ... pass the OS specific parameter through weblogic startxxxServer.xml as a parameter to the startup class...

I think startup class feature is available in weblogic and websphere (latest)
  6. once more[ Go to top ]

That will be great if J2EE has such definition in specification.

7. OS specific what?[ Go to top ]

What is specific to the OS? I use a singleton property file manager on both Windows and Solaris and I don't have to pass anything when switching environments. I would not use a startup class either to initialize the singleton, I would simply use a static initializer in the singleton class to perform any initialization. No need to complicate things when the class itself already provides a run-once start-up mechanism, hence the static initializer.

8. There is no need to have anything OS specific. Just put the property file in your classpath then use the ClassLoader.getResource() to look it up.