Scioworks Camino 3 Professional Edition Released

Discussions

News: Scioworks Camino 3 Professional Edition Released

1. Scioworks Camino 3 Professional Edition Released (14 messages)

Scioworks Camino 3 Professional Edition is a visual tool for Struts. This new edition supports visual modeling for Struts-Tiles, advanced UML-WAE style Storyboard, Application Model Verifier, JSP Previewer (without an appsever), Document Generation and more.

For more information, see Scioworks Camino

Threaded Messages (14)

2. Patent pending?[ Go to top ]

From their website(http://www.scioworks.com/scioworks_camino_features.html):

-
    Camino also comes with its JSP Preview Technology (US Patent Pending) which allows you to preview your JSPs in regular browsers without deploying to any app server.
    -

Um, that's not cool. So now no one wil be able to preview a JSP page outside of an app server for however many years after the patent is approved? I understand the desire to differentiate in the market and protect "innovation," but it's not like no one ever thought of this feature. I think (for what it's worth [not much])people like Codd and Turing deserved patents for their ideas, not the makers of a JSP preview for an application built on an OPEN SOURCE project. The only reason to patent something like this is to throw up artificial barriers to competition.

I won't even start on the ethics of building a tool on top of an open source product and then building a fence around it by patenting things. It may be legal, and it may be necessary for "protection" in the marketplace, and it may be something that other people do, but its still slimy.

It's a shame because I could really use something like this. Ideals are so inconvenient.

-Amir
  3. Patent pending?[ Go to top ]

OK, then, it's 'Prior Art' time! Who can point to an example of a previously existing app (or design document) that enabled JSP previewing?
  4. prior art[ Go to top ]

of the top of my mind at least dreamweaver mx has a preview mode for jsp's
    i am pretty sure i saw some other tools
  5. prior art[ Go to top ]

yes,I do agree,I don't like these type of tools
  6. Patent pending?[ Go to top ]

Everyone complains about the American patent system but not very many people are doing anything to change it. I agree the patent system is totally screwed, but business is business and every business will do whatever they can to legally limit competition.

Michael
  7. Patent pending?[ Go to top ]

Everyone complains about the American patent system but not very many people are doing anything to change it. I agree the patent system is totally screwed, but business is business and every business will do whatever they can to legally limit competition.

Well, for what it's worth (actually $650), I for one will at least postpone buying the professional edition.

Using patent law to patent such ideas, and even patents on software at all, is something I strongly oppose - and here in Norway it is not even possible with today's patent laws. The ethics of patenting a technique that is used as part of a tool for configuring an open-source framework are also questionable.

Scioworks should instead focus on keeping their current functionality lead - it definitely seems like they've got one right now! What makes customers buy your product is the value you can provide them - and my best guess is that you make the best product by focusing on customer value instead of patent law and lawsuits against your competitors.

PS:
    -'JSP preview' technology has been available in dreamweaver already for a long time.
    -As a potential customer for this product: I couldn't care less if the JSP preview functionality was made with or without using an embedded appserver - as long as it works.

Knut Erik
  8. Patent pending?[ Go to top ]

Well, some time ago these "patent pending" expressions were used in a sort of "it's something revolutionary" meaning. But it's being so overused, despite the fact that software patents are highly arguable, that this expression nowadays is only leaving a bad taste in people's mouth, instead.
  9. You can patent anything you want and there always would be way to offer similar functionality using (a bit) different technical solution, different business name without broking the law. Just take a look at Java IDE space, how fast is Eclipse "reusing" IntelliJ ideas...
  10. Excellent. GUI for Struts.
    .V
  11. And what is better/worse if we will compare this with Studio in WebSphere or Jbuilder?

Dmitry Namiot
    Coldbeans
  12. And what is better/worse if we will compare this with Studio in WebSphere or Jbuilder?

>
    Camino has very limited scope of using. However, in this scope it beats at least JBuilder (the newest version 9). I nothing can say about WebSphere Studio. I have not my computer power enough even to run it.
  13. Re: where are you?[ Go to top ]

I am in Moscow (shall I add Russia ? :)
  14. Re: where are you?[ Go to top ]

I am in Moscow (shall I add Russia ? :)

I am in the same place right now. Send me e-mail directly, if you have any language specific opinion :-)
  15. Demo For Pro[ Go to top ]

Not working