Preferred Portal Product

Discussions

General J2EE: Preferred Portal Product

1. Preferred Portal Product (1 messages)

I just realized I posted this message in the wrong forum earlier.

From my brief research thus far. I'm looking into Plumtree Corporate Portal, BEA WebLogic Portal, and Vignette/Epicentric Portal.

My personal experience has been with BEA Portal 4.0. I didn't particularly like the webflow/pipeline framework it uses. Does anyone know how the new Portal 8.1 work? Specifically, how does it support the Struts framework(1.0 or 1.1)?

I attended a webinar on Plumtree. Unfortunately, they were demoing it for a user's point of view. I wanted to learn more about their EDK (Enterprise Development Kit). Thus far, I'm not too impressed. Although, I've heard they have a good set of portlet libraries.

Anyone has any experience working with a portal platform, please do share your knowledge. I'm evaluating for a commercial portal product that will run on BEA WebLogic Server.

Thanks in advance.

Posted By: Sheng Sheen on June 24, 2003 @ 04:12 PM
    I'm currently researching on different Portal products offered by vendors. I was wondering if anyone has used any of the below named products, and what are some of the experiences/headaches that you went through. Please share any thoughts on these: (*Note: the ones with X are the ones that I'm seriously thinking about implementing.)

1. Apache Software Foundation - JetSpeed
    X 2. BEA - WebLogic Portal
      3. Computer Associates - CleverPath
      4. Hummingbird - Hummingbird Portal
      5. IBM - WebSphere Portal
      6. Novell/Silverstream - Novell Portal Services
      7. Oracle - Oracle9iAS Portal
    X 8. Plumtree - Plumtree Corporate Portal
      9. SAP/TopTier - mySAP Enterprise Portal
      10. Sun - Sun Open Net Environment (Sun ONE)
      11. Sybase - Enterprise Portal/Application Edition
      12. TIBCO - TIBCO ActiveEnterprise
      13. Viador - BI Portal
    X 14. Vignette/Epicentric - Vignette Application Portal

I will follow-up with a post on my findings in a future post. Thanks in advance.
    1 replies in this thread
    Message #87894 Preferred Portal Platform?
    Posted By: sri kanch on July 02, 2003 @ 06:24 PM in response to Message #86982.
    I have looked at couple of those and worked extensively with bea portal on three projects. I have looked at tibco portal and i would say its very very propritory tecnology. I like bea portal. The advantage is that its easily extensible and leverages j2ee framework of technologies. The con is that its been changing soo fast that its been tough keeping up.
    That's my two cents!
    Srini

Threaded Messages (1)

2. Plumtree development[ Go to top ]

What parts of the portlet API did you assess when looking at the Plumtree functionality?

ross