JBoss Server to be embedded in Mac OS X Panther (10.3)

Discussions

News: JBoss Server to be embedded in Mac OS X Panther (10.3)

1. Apple has decided to embed JBoss with the upcoming "Panther" release (v10.3). This is an interesting development, as we have seen other vendors bundle various application servers.

For example, Solaris & Sun ONE, HP/DELL & WebLogic, and AIX & WebSphere.

Panther will also include an updated release of Apache, along with Tomcat and Apache Axis. This shows Apples dedication to the Java platform, and it is interesting to see them add JBoss even though they have WebObjects, their own app server.

Apple Previews Mac OS X 'Panther' Server

JBoss Group Announces Support Services for Mac OS X 'Panther' Server
  2. Who would want to have the overhead of an application server in what is predominantly a client side OS. Unless we're talking OSX server of course...
  3. Laptop development is fun[ Go to top ]

Development?
  4. Out-of-the-box Development[ Go to top ]

This is pretty cool news.
    JDK integration with the OS is already slick. JBoss and/or Tomcat fully integrated would be awesome. All they need now is Eclipse adding in and you're good to go.
    Oh and some open-source JDO would be sweet
    (oh wait there's JBossDO coming soon...)
  5. That means what to us? What is the added value of bundling something that can be downloaded for free? Is this an attempt to low the number of downloads of the JBoss software so some one else can claim the number. It would make more sense to bundle JBoss documentation if at all.
  6. This is in Mac OS X Server 10.3 (Panther). Look in the right column...

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/pantherserver.html

I think the added value comes from the integration into Apple's pretty slick management and monitoring interfaces. Wonder if they use JMX for it...
  7. The details on Apple's web page state:

Panther Server also features new deployment tools with a graphical user interface to configure your existing J2EE applications for hosting on Mac OS X Server.

So I believe you'll be able to monitor the status of the app server, and you'll be able to graphically configure and deploy beans/etc. into JBoss (this likely includes creating/modifying deployment descriptors and container configuration files).

Hopefully it will make porting WebLogic/Solaris apps to JBoss/OS X server a cinch... it would be a significant cost savings, and the support may be sufficient for many uses.
  8. So they wrote a JMX dashboard[ Go to top ]

If this is what they've done I wonder how good it'll be and if you can manage other services.
  9. I agree, there is little value in bundling software that moves rapidly and is free, but for some reason analysts get all excited about the "integrated Open Source stack".

The real value to JBoss is a marketing one imho, meaning that OSX users know they are supposed to use JBoss. But why should they? if they prefer BEA what incentive do they have? Is the documentation included? Are the JBoss services discounted?
  10. They'll probably be putting JBoss 3.2 on there, since that's the latest stable version. 4.0 will be released in December, but for the next year 3.2 will be the gold standard for JBoss, probably. The 3.0 tree has been out for a while, and it's settling down much more.

If Mac has documentation on how to use it (Mac-specific stuff), then it'd be great.

Steve
  11. what about webobjects then?[ Go to top ]

does'nt Apple already have a J2EE server in webobjects?

Are they planning on using JBOSS in WO too?

I don't get it..

- vineet
  12. J2EE server in WebObjects[ Go to top ]

Well... WebObjects says it can support any J2EE application server. If JBoss is going to be in Panther Server then it would make sense to only support one back end -- JBoss.

Should check the WWDC notes to see if there are details there.
  13. Does anyone have any performance numbers for JBoss or any J2EE server running on OSX? I'd be curious how it holds up as a server platform, especially for J2EE. Also from a cost/performance ratio viewpoint. I'm curious because of Apple's somewhat slow (in terms of time to release) support for the latest JDKs. Is their slow release time due to extra tuning, tuning that might make OSX a viable J2EE deployment platform?

As you can tell, I'm searching for an excuse to buy a Mac....
  14. As you can tell, I'm searching for an excuse to buy a Mac....
    How about that wide screen on the laptop? :)
  15. Does anyone have any performance numbers for JBoss or any J2EE server running on OSX? I'd be curious how it holds up as a server platform, especially for J2EE. Also from a cost/performance ratio viewpoint. I'm curious because of Apple's somewhat slow (in terms of time to release) support for the latest JDKs. Is their slow release time due to extra tuning, tuning that might make OSX a viable J2EE deployment platform?

I think the slow move to 1.4 was due to them switching to the cocoa api for the swing implementation. Now that that is done future updates should be quicker.
  16. Some time back ,I had heard that Pramati was pitching in with Apple to bundle Pramati server which was touted to be a ideal one for Apple MacOS systems due to its small server footprint . .?

It is good to hear that finally JBoss has been chosen and obviously JBoss has superior performance,customer base and more than anything free...

Happy times for MacOS users!!