Discussions

News: IronGrid Releases IronTrack SQL

1. IronGrid Releases IronTrack SQL (6 messages)

IronGrid, Inc., which provides tools that help Java developers improve software performance, unveiled the commercial release of IronTrack SQL. IronTrack SQL is a JDBC performance testing and tuning tool that goes beyond simple snapshots of JDBC performance and aggregate metrics by adding the ability to view your SQL performance data over time, compare multiple performance test datasets, and establish a baseline for your query performance. Through these time-based views, IronTrack SQL uncovers query interaction problems and provides historical analysis for spotting performance degradation across builds.

For development teams, IronTrack SQL powers automated performance testing strategies through Ant task assertions and graphing capabilities.

How It Works:

IronTrack SQL intercepts all of the database query activity that passes between an application and database through a JDBC driver. To monitor query activity, a developer simply substitutes the original JDBC driver with the IronTrack virtual driver wrapper. Performance can be interactively graphed, sorted, and filtered in the IronTrack SQL user interface or monitored automatically via an Ant task

Free trials are available to download at www.irongrid.com/irontracksql.

View the Tech Overview
  2. I am the CEO of IronGrid, and I am interested in getting a discussion around the idea of automated performance testing, and the concept of tracking perormance test data to uncover perfromance problems early in the development process, going. About a month ago, we had a good discussion going on the Server Side about our white paper talking about Continuous Performance, a strategy for extending continuous integration practices to include performance testing.

With IronTrack, we at IronGrid are trying to provoide a tool that embeds performance testing in a non-invasive, automated fashion, and track performance test results over time. Our experience has shown that by comparing test results and tracking the performance trend associated with various performance metrics, you are able to discover certain performance problems as the code is generated, and ultimately correct them before a system is either sent to final QA/Test, or worse, put into a production environment. IronTrack SQL specifically focuses on SQL transaction performance, but the concept could certainly be extended.

Any ideas, feedback or discussion around these concepts would be great!

Thanks,
    Cliff
  3. I downloaded the evaluation of IronTrack. I got the tool running without any problems. It is extremely easy to setup. Does your tool support any type of "connection" tracing to allow me to determine whether or not I am "leaking" database connections.

- John Carnell
        john.carnell@netchange.us
  4. Hi John,

I don't believe the IronTrack/IronEye tool does any resource management/analysis.

JDBInsight a very advanced J2EE/Java/JDBC profiler does have support for resource management. JDBInsight 2.0 has built in memory profiling through its integration with the JVMPI (which will be replaced shortly by Sun with a more scalable solution).

Resource Mgmt Related Features
    ====================================
    - Memory profiling (counters/statistics) at the transaction and JDBC level - not just JDBC objects.

- Object reference tracking mechanism that identifies interception points where JDBC resources are created within a J2EE application code. For any particular interception point (think callstack) JDBInsight 2.0 tracks the number created, closed, and freed. Thus the console helps determine where resources are leaked both by not calling close and/or by still holding a reference. You can invoke garbage collection from within the console and determine whether resource objects are still being referenced. Note: 2.5 will have a reference tree view to determine holding objects.

- Unique information resource visualizations that correlate interception points to transaction paths.

JDBInsight 2.0 is currently available through the Early Access Program.
    http://www.jinspired.com/products/jdbinsight/eap/index.html

EA 1 (K) is currently available for Windows 2000/NT/XP.

EA 2 will be available next week with support for Solaris and Linux (we have a small amount of native code).

William Louth
    JDBInsight Product Architect
    JInspired
  5. Apples and oranges[ Go to top ]

I think IronTrack SQL and the product you describe are not the same. The former is a monitoring tool whereas what you describe is a profiling tool. (although recent performance products tend to blur the line between the two by using profiling to do monitoring). AFAIK, IronTrackSQL does not depend on what JVM is used and whether it supports the JVMPI. It's a snap to setup (after all, it's a graphical view into the p6spy log)

Thanks
  6. Apples and oranges[ Go to top ]

Hi "me havename"?

Can you tell me which particular feature within the SQL product qualifies it as a monitoring tool.

I admit the line is somewhat blurred but what determines a monitoring product to you?

JDBInsight 2.0 EA 2 has transaction time series display but I still do not consider this a deciding feature. The 2.0 has a terminal and scripting interface but again that does not distinguish the product from monitoring and profiling (I have seen something similiar in profilers and monitors). I have a good idea what a monitoring tool should do and look (UI) like. Thoughts?

I suspect the reason for performance products becoming more like profilers is that before you can manage a J2EE application it must be stable and performaning well, otherwise it would not be in pre-production.

Can you tell me which particular JVM's you use that do not support JVMPI?

Is there a benefit displaying times that have a resolution of 0 or 10+ms?

All the best,

William Louth
    JDBInsight EA 1 Now Available
    www.jinspired.com
  7. Apples and Oranges[ Go to top ]

"AFAIK, IronTrackSQL does not depend on what JVM"

Forgot to mention that JDBInsight 1.2 does not use JVMPI thus works with any JVM. There is a free version of the product on the website.

JDBInsight 2.0 does require JVMPI.

William Louth
    JDBInsight Product Architect
    JInspired