TheServerSide to Host 'Hibernate in Action' Book Review Project

Discussions

News: TheServerSide to Host 'Hibernate in Action' Book Review Project

1. TheServerSide is pleased to announce that it will be hosting a public review process for 'Hibernate In Action' (Manning), by Christian Bauer and Gavin King. The first chapter, 'Understanding object/relational persistence', introduces object/relational mapping (ORM) and compares it to other persistence mechanisms, such as self-made persistence layers and object databases.

Download and Review the first chapter: Understanding object/relational persistence

Threaded Messages (24)

2. Looking forward to it coming out[ Go to top ]

One sign your a geek like me:

Your anticipating this book more than the latest Harry Potter one ;)
  3. Looking forward to it coming out[ Go to top ]

+1 here.

I'm definitely looking forward to its release...
  4. Good news[ Go to top ]

I look forward to the final product!
  5. is great![ Go to top ]

very good!
  6. Good introduction[ Go to top ]

The first chapter is a really good introduction of ORM.
    It tells about the history, the features and the difficulties to build such system.
    As a great defender of JDO, i look forward to the next chapter to learn more about how Hirbate handles all the problemes of the persistence !

--
    Benoit Moussaud
    http://www.moussaud.org
  7. Expect much more!
  8. This is excellent news.

If this book is as good as the Struts in Action and Ant in Action books then it will definitely have a place on my bookshelf.
  9. Hi,

I am developing an open source ui data binding framework (at least I am trying), to allow users to easely bind ui components with database data. For this I want to achieve bindings between Echo, JSF , Swing as ui components and JDO,Hibernate as ORM frameworks. A first beta version is released at:

http://dataglue.sf.net

It is implemented using Echo and TJDO.

After reading your chapter (althought the idea was in my head for quite some time), I decided that I should implement an Hibernate version as well.

Keep up the good work,
    Dan
  10. Excellent introduction....[ Go to top ]

....to the state of persistence technologies. great read really.
  11. Toplink?[ Go to top ]

This might sound like a stupid question.

But, isn't tools like TopLink and VBSF do pretty much the same? If so, aren't they also ORM tools? How come I don't see any mention of these tools in the chapeter?
  12. Toplink?[ Go to top ]

But, isn't tools like TopLink and VBSF do pretty much the same? If so, aren't they also ORM tools? How come I don't see any mention of these tools in the chapeter?

Well, of course, there are many ORM tools out there among them TopLink and VBSF (for which two you have to pay; others are free open source products (as Hibernate)). But the bottomline is this book is about Hibernate ;-)

Cheers, Carsten
  13. Great news[ Go to top ]

That's great. According to the first chapter, at least. Anyway, to keep open, is there here anybody experienced enough to provide a short comparison of Hibernate abainst Expresso? Both offer, beside others, ORM. Thanks,

tom
  14. I'm not finished with it yet, but the most interesting statement I've found so far is:

"Metadata is *not*, by nature, more flexible or maintainable."

Great article.
    Steve
  15. Some suggestions[ Go to top ]

Hi Gavin

The first chapter looks great. As you have said in you book that ORM can solve 95 % of general persistency problem, I would like to know in more details about other 5 % problems. I would be great idea if you can come up with some real life problems which can/should not be solved by ORM and what approach we should take to solve them. May be you can cover these thing in your last chapter “Best practices and design patterns”

Prasoon
  16. ~[ Go to top ]

Thanks everyone for your comments, esp. the people who've been emailing us feedback directly!

Just a note: we are writing a book about Hibernate .... but not _just_ about Hibernate ... we hope that some of the things we have to say are relevant to ORM in general (yes, including other products like TopLink, etc).
  17. 2.65 cents[ Go to top ]

-- authors have opinions on EJB, ODB, JDO,
    current fasion in the area, about been first to write about ORM.
    Without extensive list of referrences to prior art
    (e.g. Amber [RoninSoft-?]), to jdo vs ejb vs orm discussions
    (e.g. here in TSS) such claims are empty-handed even for
     "introduction chapter"

-- is it nessesary to start/end transaction for read-only example?

-- simple comments on attribute purpose better keep
    within code as // entries.

-- in general, I like the style and expect much more from
    next chapters, but now it is mostly water that can be shrinked.

Looking forward for next chapters,
    Thanks,

Alex V.
  18. Re: 2.65 cents[ Go to top ]

Without extensive list of referrences to prior art

(e.g. Amber [RoninSoft-?]) <
    I just want to add that Ambler is certainly well known, but that whitepapers about ORM/GOP predate him by nearly 10 years. ORM is nothing new, but still "exciting" :)
  19. 2.65 cents[ Go to top ]

Alex makes an interesting point about prior art. It would be nice if you could have a pretty decent bibliography. I remember Doug Lea's _Concurrent Programming in Java_ had enough references to really get into the meaty part of concurrency in computer science in general.

Either way, it'll be a great book, but if you want "official tome of O/R" sort of status (like the "Dragon book" for compilers), you might want to look into it.

Steve
  20. 2.65 cents[ Go to top ]

Reading the rest of it, it's really good. Really impressive. I'm going to buy the book, and I'm not even a user of Hibernate (yet).

Steve
  21. "entity beans are rapidly declining in popularity and EJB as a whole is being deemphasized by the Java community. Now is probably not the right time to jump on that particular bandwagon!"

"Unsurprisingly perhaps, entity beans have been a disaster in practice."

Days later, I'm still smiling about these quotes.

Great first chapter, can't wait for the rest.

Jeff
  22. Hibernate in Action, Chapter 1[ Go to top ]

Looks like I am late to the party. Is there a way to get the draft copy of Chapter 1 & Chapter 2 of Hibernate In Action.
    This will help me a lot as I am reading up on OR mapping in an effort to move our JDBC code to use a framework.
    Thank you.
  23. Remove link[ Go to top ]

I assume that this book has been removed from public review.

Would it be possible to remove the link as well, thus saving us the disappointment of looking for something that is no longer available?
  24. I assume that this book has been removed from public review.

>
    > Would it be possible to remove the link as well, thus saving us the disappointment of looking for something that is no longer available?

http://www.theserverside.com/books/manning/reviews-intercept.jsp?pdf_forward=/books/review/Hibernate/chapter6_hibernate.zip
  25. how can i download it?