Discussions

Performance and scalability: Strongly recommend adding a standard on Appserver

1. Strongly recommend adding a standard on Appserver (4 messages)

Most applications deployed in AppServer are WebApplication,and most of them are stateful,so it's essential to maintain session info among cluster(whether vertical or horizonal),althrough it's OK between same AppServer,but when app deployed in different AppServer,I must find alternative(like cookie<--but if client close it?;LDAP<---which does not design for it,i guess).
    So I wonder why SUN does not make this mandatory in J2EE specification?
  2. Hi Huang,

If you have a requirement of replicating Session state among multiple AppServers (and they are all Servlet 2.3 compliant) you can accomplish this by using the Servlet 2.3 HTTP Session Replication Module that comes out of the box with Coherence.

Later,
    Rob Misek
    Tangosol Coherence: Cluster your Work. Work your Cluster.
    Coherence Forums.
  3. Thx,we've visited your website,but currently no 3rd party product in our consideration.
  4. Huang: Thx,we've visited your website,but currently no 3rd party product in our consideration.

In that case, just write the data to a shared file storage location (a shared directory) or to a database. It will be slow but it will meet most of your requirements, including avoiding using any other software.

Good luck!

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Easily share live data across a cluster!
  5. Hello,

You better rely on built-in features of Application Servers like latest versions of WebSphere and WebLogic. They have a nice feature of replicating Session across a distributed environment. We have been highly successfull implementing both WebSphere V5 memory-to-memory and WebLogic V7 Session replication across Clustered solutions. No performance bottlenecks. Design your application properly!!!.

I would suggest you to use them, instead of 3rd party softwares.

Thnx.
    Venkata.