Discussions

EJB design: Download free evaluation EAServer J2EE server

1. Download free evaluation EAServer J2EE server (6 messages)

We are pleased to announce that the evaluation version of Sybase EAServer 3.6 is now available via download from our Web site at:

http://www.sybase.com/eas36/

EAServer 3.6 includes full J2EE support iuncluding EJB 1.1, JSP, Servlet, C++, CORBA, COM etc.

Dave Wolf
    Internet Applications Division
    Sybase

2. Dave how EJB running inside EAServer can be accesses by COM clients. Do you guys provide some kind of COM/CORBA bridge, or we can use any third party vendor tool? Second I don't understand how your container supports C++/COM, you meant it is kind of a COM+ and J2EE server both??

Thanks,
    Rashid.
  3. Rashid,

EAServer supports server side components written in

EJB (1.0 and 1.1 concurrently)
    COM
    C++
    Java Classes
    JavaBeans
    PowerBuilder objects

For any of these objects we can generate client side proxies in

EJB (1.1 or 1.2, i.e. Enumeration or Collection mapping)
    COM
    C++ CORBA
    Java CORBA
    PowerBuilder

These can be combined in any way. For instance, if you have an EJB 1.1, you can obviously get EJB stubs (home and remote interfaces). But slicker then that, you can get actually request say a COM proxy, or a C++ CORBA proxy to your EJB! Conversely if you have a COM object or C++ object, you can request an EJB home and remote interface!!!

How can we do this? EAS internally uses CORBA IDL to define all objects. We speak IIOP (and RMI/IIOP) on the wire between our clietns and components. We simply use an IDL compiler which reads the IDL and generates the appropriate proxies which match that IDL. Our COM clients for instance work with a free OLE Automation Server we provide which remaps the IDispatch types to IDL types on the fly as we marshall them. Its important to note however you never have to concern yourself with any of this. When you for instance import an EJB 1.1 JAR into EAServer, we write all the IDL automatically. We generate the appropriate stubs automartically as well.

So, EAServer gives you a fully J2EE complaint and J2EE branded server which can also host C++ and COM and CORBA. It can also with the click of a button let you access your EJB's from C++ or your C++ from EJB.

All of this comes in the box. If you have a third party CORBA ORB you can feel free to use it as a client too, but we ship with a Java ORB, a C++ ORB an EJB InitialContextFactory and a COM OLE Automation Server all free included with the product.

Slick eh?

Dave Wolf
    Sybase

4. I must say that it is cool. By the way what kind of ORB do you ship with your product. Visigenic, ORBIX or may be your own implementation...

Thanks,
    Rashid.
  5. Its our own implementation. Its a CORBA 2.3 compliant clean-room ORB. We would support interop with all the major ORB vendors.

Dave Wolf
    Sybase

6. Sounds good to me. When you say that it generates a COM interface to an EJB Object, my understanding is that this EJB can now be accessed by a program or another COM object written in say VC++. Please do correct me if I am wrong.

This does open up interesting possibilities..........if I what I understood is right.......
  7. Yes you understand that exactly right. For an EJB we generate a client side COM proxy that can be used in say VB or a MSVC++ application to make calls on the EJB.

Dave Wolf
    Sybase