WS-I Basic Profile 1.0 Released

Discussions

News: WS-I Basic Profile 1.0 Released

1. WS-I Basic Profile 1.0 Released (4 messages)

The WS-I Basic Profile 1.0 is a set of specifications that guarantees Web services interoperability if users adhere to the profile's guidelines and vendors include WS-I BP 1.0 support in their implementations. The profile identifies how Web services specifications should be used together to create interoperable Web services.

With this release, J2EE 1.4 should be right around the corner!

Read WS-I Basic Profile 1.0 Makes Debut

Check out http://www.ws-i.org

Threaded Messages (4)

2. Doc/Literal...[ Go to top ]

In the article it said:

"...Normally, you use SOAP Encoding with RPC-style messages and a literal schema definition with Document-style messages. People refer to these message styles as RPC/Encoded and Document/Literal. So WS-I BP prohibits RPC/Encoded."

Does this mean that all J2EE 1.4 web services will be Document/Literal like .NET?
  3. (Document|RPC)/Literal[ Go to top ]

What is not mentioned is the rpc-literal encoding, which relys on the XMLSchema definitions rather than ad-hoc language bindings. It implies that RPC is not allowed, but it is, just as RPC/literal. You also cannot create random new encoding styles. They all need to resolve to an XML schema.

So no, they don't have to be Document/Literal, but they must all be literal in their use while the style can be document or rpc.
  4. WS-I Basic Profile 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

The story, as posted, is slightly different from what I submitted.

The BP does not GUARANTEE anything. It attempts to make interoperability more likely by clarifying vagueness in the associated specs and disallowing certain troublesome features (like SOAP encoding). But, as always, YMMV.
  5. WSI-BP in JAXRPC[ Go to top ]

In JAX-RPC Specs. 1.1 Maintenance ReviewDraft (http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/maintenance/jsr101/index.html), WSI-BP 1.0 has became part of the requirement (See section 14.4). Because JAXRPC will be part of J2EE1.4, it would be preferred that BP1.0 requirements are captured in J2EE1.4 CTS (or JAXRPC TCK). Therefore, 1.4 conformed platform can also provide BP1.0 interoperability.