Discussions

News: WebSphere toolkit may be tough sell for Lotus Developers

1. Early indications are that IBM Lotus' first concrete step toward integrating Domino and WebSphere may be off to a slow start. An article on techtarget discusses developers experiences with the toolkit, complaints about development and maintenance problems of migrating to J2EE, etc.

Read WebSphere toolkit may be tough sell for Lotus Developers.

Threaded Messages (5)

2. It's J2EE or nothing![ Go to top ]

This is yet another example of how mindlessly companies integrate and hype J2EE when, in many cases, it's an inferior solution.

But, hey, in today's IT shop it's J2EE or nothing. I'll take the nothing, thank you very much.
  3. It's J2EE or nothing![ Go to top ]

Hi Jeffrey,

You might find more constructive uses of your energy writing about topics that you have some experience with, like Smalltalk.

While it sounds like this implementation got botched, the goal of integrating Lotus with Domino is a very smart one for IBM. I work in a large enterprise that is under pressure to throw out their large Lotus installation in favor of something that is easier to support, like Exchange. Lotus is hard to support because the company does not have a lot of seasoned Lotus developers, because there are not a lot of seasoned Lotus developers.

However, the company does have a lot of J2EE developers. So, Lotus becomes a much more attractive platform to my employer if J2EE developers can now maintain and extend the platform.

So a workable J2EE integration solution would allow IBM to retain a lot of licensing and support revenue. Pretty smart.
  4. I believe that everybody could recognize IBM's intentions with Lotus Notes & Domino when the Release 6 came out; the intention was to let this platform die and migrate both customers and developers to WebSphere. It really stroke me when I saw that they didn't integrate support for relationality (joins & co.) with a relational datastore, such as their DB2, into the new Domino version.

Either way, since it's been clear that IBM was going to lay off that platform, it's a good move that they start putting out toolkits to integrate Domino databases to J2EE solutions. Instead of integrating Domino data into WebSphere components, they should rather show up with some kind of integration of WebSphere back-end and data into Lotus Notes front-end. THIS would be of much bigger help for everybody. What about
    - having "WebSphere agents" that call a session bean on the app server
    - having a NotesDocument access getters/setters of a JavaBean
    - having a NotesView pull it's data from a query on WebSphere

But I guess this would let the Lotus Notes / Domino platform survive even a little longer, wouldn't it Mr. IBM?

Regards,

KarolR
  5. DB2 as an optional datastore[ Go to top ]

DB2 will be an optional datastore in the next major feature release of Domino, expected next year.

Lotus Notes and Domino may be legacy products, but they are not dead. As a parallell effort to enhancing Notes/Domino, IBM Lotus is building its next generation collaboration software ("Lotus Workplace") on a standards based architecture (J2EE, RDBMS, LDAP).
  6. I found your comments interesting.

As a J2EE Developer who is also a domino developer I understand the advantages of both. Domino is a great RAD framework for simple applications and one of the things that makes it quick is the fact that you don't really have to care about the underlying data structure. The cost of this relates to the fact that the concept of a join is hard to achieve... but it is well known that you should not attempt to store relational data in domino - that is what DB2 (and Oracle etc.) are for.

In relation to your other points:

> - having "WebSphere agents" that call a session bean on the app server

I assume you mean Domino agents - this can be done now, the only drama that you get is that it is running from a second JVM. ND6 made this heaps easier by giving you a more modern JVM.

- having a NotesDocument access getters/setters of a JavaBean
    This could be easily done now.

- having a NotesView pull it's data from a query on WebSphere
    The Domino API already allows you to do this via DIIOP.

ND6 was a big step forward for java integration... I ask why they still have those "recycle" methods that you need to call.