Discussions

News: Interview with Marc Fleury

1. Interview with Marc Fleury (18 messages)

Marc Fleury was recently interviewed about JBoss, how JBoss Corp works, the people behind the code, the business model, the AOP framework, and more. He talks about what attributed to his success, and his claim that his software is more like Microsoft's than Sun's.

Read the Q&A: JBoss CEO Marc Fleury

Questions answered

Q: To what do you attribute your success?
    Q: How do you describe your people?
    Q: The business is sexy?
    Q: You once said that your software is more like Microsoft's than Sun's. Do you still stand by that claim?
    Q: Compare your business model to, say, IBM's.
    Q: With your newfound popularity, are you in danger of opening yourselves up as an acquisition target or are you committed to staying pure open source?
    Q: Recently you've adopted an aspect-oriented programming (AOP) framework for your software. How significant is this?
    Q: Speaking of the Java Camp, are you still looking to get that controversial J2EE certification Sun is requesting?
    Q: I heard you recently ran into Java luminary James Gosling. How did that go?

Threaded Messages (18)

2. Interview with Marc Fleury[ Go to top ]

Not much is said in this interview that is very news worthy. It's pretty much a rehash of stuff we've read before. About the only thing new was his encounter with James Gosling which wasn't that enlightening. Overall probably not worth posting or reading but ... I guess the PR engine worked as I got sucked in and read it.
  3. Interview with Marc Fleury[ Go to top ]

kent,

the interview was done at Java ONE this year. It is a re-hash of our 'state of the union" as of june 2003.

As I don't have a blog, these interviews are probably the simplest way for folks to get up to speed on what we are doing. I may put a vlog, a recorded mp3 like tss used to have 'hardcore tech talks'.

I think the part that is important to me came out good.. namely that we are doing professional open source. We didn't start JBoss with a professional model in mind, in fact we didn't know what the model was, but as we grow we see what works, what customers and you guys want and need from us and grow a business from it.

In restrospect I should have answered the IBM question with "our goal is to be a miniature and specialized IBM".
  4. Interview with Marc Fleury[ Go to top ]

<quote>
    Not much is said in this interview that is very news worthy. It's pretty much a rehash of stuff we've read before. About the only thing new was his encounter with James Gosling which wasn't that enlightening. Overall probably not worth posting or reading but ... I guess the PR engine worked as I got sucked in and read it.
    </quote>

Kent, you speak as if no corporate executive ever repeats himself. Is it wrong as part of a marketing pitch to say a few things, say them right, and say them often? Hell, Larry Ellison does that all the time.

In any case, this particular version of the positioning statement is something I (personally) have not come across. And to me, it seemed like an interesting read.

Why the outburst? Is this a conditioned response against MarcF and the general theme of JBoss' marketing tactics?

Sandeep.

PS: I have no affiliations with the JBoss team.
  5. Interview with Marc Fleury[ Go to top ]

Sandeep,
    <quote>
    Kent, you speak as if no corporate executive ever repeats himself. Is it wrong as part of a marketing pitch to say a few things, say them right, and say them often? Hell, Larry Ellison does that all the time.
    </quote>

I never said anything close to the conclusion that you draw from my posting. In fact, I think just the opposite. People repeat themselves all the time. It's a technique that works quite well most of the time. Even Marc admits it's a re-hash. He is happy with it being picked up and posted again (as I would expect).

My point was (and still is) that we could repost old info over and over whenever some internet site repeated days/weeks/months old info but it's still not newsworthy.
  6. Jboss Figures?[ Go to top ]

Leave about the downloads from the web (Which i have done some 10 times) ,when can Mark Quote about the No of accounts that are hosting jboss in Production?
  7. Jboss Figures?[ Go to top ]

An analyst privately reported 25% market share in IT (up from 15 a year ago in a magazine, was it ZDnet?) and >50% market share in ISV/OEM.

We are seeing a stampede of business adoption.
  8. Jboss Figures?[ Go to top ]

<quote>
    An analyst privately reported 25% market share in IT (up from 15 a year ago in a magazine, was it ZDnet?) and >50% market share in ISV/OEM.

We are seeing a stampede of business adoption.
    </quote>

One would think that anon private reports (so called rumors) have no place in CEO statements, but ...

In my experience companies are using JBoss in places where it doesn't matter - R&D "let's try stuff" mostly. So, I'd say you see the stampede of cheap R&D in J2EE direction, and when people want to have something in production, 24x7 that's something else.

My company has one JBoss server in production for our datawarehouse frontend app and next version of app will be EJB free so we will kill it and switch to some servlet container by the end of the year. Hopefully.
  9. Jboss Figures?[ Go to top ]

I myself have a JBoss server running in production, where it is running a commercial site. My application doesn't actually use EJBs, but does make use of JMS, and this was a good, self contained container to provide Servlet/JSP and JMS capabilities. I removed some of the un-needed components from the deployment tree and have it reasonably lean now. (I could probably pull out more, but haven't had the need..)

(Why no EJBs? Well.. for this particular site, it didn't make sense. I used hibernate which was quite enjoyable. I have nothing against EJBs in the right situation though.)

The AOP'ized version of JBoss should be interesting, though I wouldn't be using it in production for quite a while obviously.
  10. Question[ Go to top ]

Marc,

What's your business model going to be when this stampede of customers causes JBoss to go public?

Thanks,

~C
  11. Jboss Group website[ Go to top ]

Customers

Looks to be an impressive list.
  12. RE: Jboss Group website[ Go to top ]

Well, if Playboy uses it, I am taking my JBoss implemention to production! <g>
  13. Interview with Marc Fleury[ Go to top ]

Check the real interview here:

A bile interview with Marc Fleury
  14. Interview with Marc Fleury[ Go to top ]

Check the real interview here:

>
    > A bile interview with Marc Fleury

That's pretty darn silly. It reminds me of the old spoofed Bjarne Stroustrup IEEE interview from years ago ;)
  15. You seem to really have something against Marc Fleury? What can this be? Can this be that you told him to get rid of JBossMQ and replace this FREE produdct with your for pay product Swift MQ and we told no? Why were you told no? BEcause Marc wanted to keep JBoss FREE and not allow for anyone with commercial software to bundle this in JBoss.

Your behavior is extremely childish, grow up and get over your personal problems with Marc.
  16. Wow[ Go to top ]

Oh Andreas, how dare you!!!!

Why can't you get over your self-interest? Marc is trying to save humanity from the sin of actually paying for something that is worth it!

~C
  17. You seem to really have something against Marc Fleury? What can this be? Can this be that you told him to get rid of JBossMQ and replace this FREE produdct with your for pay product Swift MQ and we told no? Why were you told no? BEcause Marc wanted to keep JBoss FREE and not allow for anyone with commercial software to bundle this in JBoss.

Your behavior is extremely childish, grow up and get over your personal problems with Marc.

Seems you are one of his poorly paid Net-Mastinos, aren't you? The other one is Mattson.

There was indeed a private mail exchange you actually can't know which started with my proposal to bundle SwiftMQ instead of JBossMQ. It was my initiative and the reason were posts of unhappy JBossMQ users here at TSS. So I thought it would be a good idea. MF's answer was that he is the greatest and JBoss is the greatest and download numbers and and and that he will create a new JBoss JMS and "put me out of the market" [LOL]. You know, the typical megalomanic stuff. After exchanging some further insults back and forth I blocked his email address on our mail server.

That was it, Mastino, wuff wuff. I would call it a typical JBoss interaction.

-- Andreas
  18. Ah ... Life is GOOD![ Go to top ]

I love how every thread that mentions JBoss degenerates in to a p---ing contest at some point. The true value in posting this non-news items was to re-emphasize my "faith" in the goodness of humanity.

Keep it up JBoss Fanboys and Anti-Fanboys ... I'm sure this kind of discourse will help adoption of JBoss more than you can ever know ;-)
  19. OH THE HUMANITY......[ Go to top ]

Andreas,

Haven't you heard???!?!
        Marc Fleury is the next coming of the messiah! What's the matter with you?
         It's all one big conspiracy theory... Soilant Green is made of People!!! PEEEEEEOOOOOOPLLLLE......

~C