Discussions

News: BEA adds XML tool to development environment

1. BEA adds XML tool to development environment (4 messages)

BEA plans to bundle the Altova XMLSPY 5 XML development environment with the BEA WebLogic Workshop J2EE tools environment. Developers can integrate XMLSPY 5 with WebLogic Workshop, enabling use of XMLSPY 5 for use in defining the format of XML data within WebLogic Workship, according to the companies.

BEA Systems plans to bundle the Altova XMLSPY 5 XML development environment with the BEA WebLogic Workshop J2EE tools environment, the companies will announce on Monday.

"[XMLSPY] is really a best-of-breed tool for XML and [Altova] wanted to have an integrated experience between the two," said Byron Sebastian, BEA vice president and general manager for WebLogic Workshop and Portal, in Seattle

Developers can download a free developer license for WebLogic Workship 8.1 with a free copy of XMLSPY5 WebLogic Edition, including a 30-day evaluation license for XMLSPY 5 Enterprise Edition. After 30 days, users may elect to purchase separately XMLSPY Enterprise Edition or Professional Edition, which offer additional functionality, or continue using the WebLogic edition free.

BEA adds XML tool to development environment

Threaded Messages (4)

2. I wonder how many features will the free XML SPY weblogic edition support.
  3. weblogic edition is bogus[ Go to top ]

the weblogic edition is the exact same feature list as their "home edition" which is a free software product, anyway. this is just marketing hype - you don't get anything special. Among its many limitations is the ability to try out a feature for 24 hours (yes, 24 hours, that's all) For a real XML IDE, check out Stylus Studio - here's the download link. i wish BEA would bundle Stylus Studio instead.
  4. Makes sense[ Go to top ]

This bundle makes a lot of sense to me. I've been using Workshop since 1.0 came out last year. It's a very nice platform for doing rapid Web Service and EJB development work. I'll be interested to see how the integration between the tools works.

I'm also finally getting some time to work with BEA's XMLBeans. It is supposed to be a fast XML handling library. We'll see. :-)

-Frank Cohen
    http://www.pushtotest.com/ptt
  5. Good tool[ Go to top ]

XML SPY is an excellent addition to workshop. Used it and found very useful. The UI and the tool's ability are remarkable. Need to wait and see how many features are available before $$$s come into picture