Discussions

News: Bill Joy Leaves Sun

1. Bill Joy Leaves Sun (20 messages)

Bill Joy, Sun Microsystems chief scientist and co-founder, is leaving the company, moving on to "different challenges". No he's not saying yet what those different challenges are. Greg Papadopoulos, CTO, will take over Joy's responsibilities. Did he just want to move on, or is this a sign of more?

Bill Joy Leaves Sun

Co-founder Joy to leave Sun

Press Release about Bill Joy leaving Sun

Threaded Messages (20)

2. That's a big loss[ Go to top ]

That's a very big loss. Bill Joy is noted as one of the most influential innovators of our time.

~C
  3. Let Bill Joy Go.[ Go to top ]

There are *no emotions* involved with the departure of somebody named Bill Joy. His departure is a sign that someone more talented (after his current temporary replacement by the CTO) is going to rise to the occassion and perform better at the highest level.

Hey, so many good people came in and left, big companies like Sun, IBM, Microsoft are still there to serve you better everyday.

This person's departure will not hurt *nothing*. News hype... tired of it!!!

Peace!
  4. Voting With Your Feet[ Go to top ]

There are *no emotions* involved with the departure of somebody named Bill Joy.

> His departure is a sign that someone more talented (after his current temporary
    > replacement by the CTO) is going to rise to the occassion and perform better at
    > the highest level.

You're a litte naive. I guess Bill Joy cares about his legacy and wants to be remembered as an open source pioneer with his Berkely Software Distribution work, for example.

If you haven't realized it Sun's core business ("Solaris boxes") is doomed and thus Sun's only "asset" remaining is Java. Guess who's the next SCO sueing everybody for "stealing" their intellectual property?

Just listen to the new Sun "leadership" such as Scott McNeally or Jonathan Schwartz and you will see where all this is heading.

- Gerald
  5. Re: Voting With Your Feet[ Go to top ]

There are *no emotions* involved with the departure of somebody named Bill Joy.

> > His departure is a sign that someone more talented (after his current temporary
    > > replacement by the CTO) is going to rise to the occassion and perform better at
    > > the highest level.
    >
    >   You're a litte naive. I guess Bill Joy cares about his legacy and wants to be remembered as an open source pioneer with his Berkely Software Distribution work, for example.

You are too a serious mood person, Gerald. Plus, your experience in life looks limited to me. And, you did not read in-between the lines.

If this world depends on only one single person, then it will go down with that person. That doesn't happen. In other words, when John McEnroe retired, Pete Sampras arises. U.S. Tennis doesn't die when Sampras retires. Williams sisters take over from the legacy players. Creating an opportunity is the key; someone is out there to grab the opportunity as soon as it's available. That person could even be you!!! Think, you IT geek!!

You sound sooo afraid!! Change this attitude and you will see through clearer.
    Do you really need this help from me?
  6. If this world depends on only one single person, then it will go down with that

> person. That doesn't happen. In other words, when John McEnroe retired, Pete
    > Sampras arises.

Well, a change of leadership can make a difference. Just wittness the SCO flip-flop by Darl McBride.

Anyway, Gotya TheHero, you're missing the point. Bill Joy's departure is a symbol that the Sun in-house struggle between Free World advocates and Old World reactonaries is drawing to a close and that the reactonaries headed by Scott McNeally and newly appointed "Java head honcho" Jonathan Schwartz are now free to turn Sun into the next SCO and sue everybody for "stealing" Sun's Java property and offer a winning alternative strategy to Sun's doomed core business "Solaris boxes".

The "Mad Hatter" Sun Linux desktop distro is just a first doomed attempt to try to wrap free opens systems with Java and charge a per seat license that offers piece of mind with a paid "Sun Java IP License".

- Gerald
  7. To underscore my point that Sun is on its way to outdo SCO may I quote "Sun Java Supremo" Jonathan Schwartz from the latest CNet story titled "Sun may offer Java customers SCO relief":

"You license Java--we will indemnify you on Linux," is how Jonathan Schwartz, executive vice president of software at Sun, said the program, if initiated, might work. "We would indemnify you against the possibility that SCO comes after you."
  8. Re: Voting With Your Feet[ Go to top ]

"If this world depends on only one single person, then it will go down with that person. That doesn't happen."

This is a good quote on that subject.

“The graveyard is full of indispensable men" - Charles de Gaulle
  9. Re: Voting With Your Feet[ Go to top ]

Well said!

Somebody earlier heard that this Bill Joy was an avid reader. So, I ask you, he is a reader of what: well, basically, of literature created by others. This person named Bill Joy collects ideas from varied literature and tries to implement them in Java. As an avid reader, he can read in-between the lines by tuning himself with the author's thoughts.

Now, you do the same. Say, when you take a look at the publications created by this Bill Joy so far, you too will be able to read in-between the lines and pick the flow of thoughts in Bill's mind at the time of his writing.

Last part of the recipe is to add your own thoughts and see yourself as a *better Bill Joy* growing at Sun! Nothing more complicated than that -- just be a reader.

You all (except a few courageous) sound as if the end of world is now near. Shame on you!! Those who say it's a big loss to see Bill Joy leave are meager parasites who suck juices off somebody's brain rather than using their own super power brain!! Nature has given you everything, come on!

You grow up now, let this Bill Joy go. He had occupied your way of making progress in this life. Celebrate as the thorn in the lap is removed -- Bill Joy is gooooooooone!! Yay...

How much more should I help you and hope to get the best out of you, a reader??
  10. [OT] WTF[ Go to top ]

Man you sound like one of those motivational therapists who sell audio books!
    It's kinda scary, you know...
  11. Re: [OT] WTF[ Go to top ]

Your choice needs to be correct for smooth therapy; I am not a motivational therapist by the way. Therapy is an integral part of life for many!
  12. Re: [OT] WTF[ Go to top ]

I guess you should know...
  13. Big Loss[ Go to top ]

That is really a big loss for the Java Developers ( ANTI MICROSOFT ).
  14. Big Loss[ Go to top ]

Yeah, its too bad...Hmmm, I think he'll be working MS. They are aquiring some of the best people in their field and paying big bucks.
  15. Who speaks for J2EE?[ Go to top ]

I generally think of Sun as the benevolent leader of the Java and J2EE platform. What I am missing now is a person to speak for Java. In many ways, Bill Joy was that person for me. His efforts in JINI and JXTA showed me that the platform had new areas to cover.

I wish I knew who will speak for Java.

-Frank Cohen
    http://www.pushtotest.com/ptt
  16. Who speaks for J2EE?[ Go to top ]

What the success of linux, apache and other open-source techologies has taught us is that when you invent a fire it sells by itself.
    It is time to shed to the dogmatic notion of marketing software. Write useful, good software and open-source it and don't expect to get filthy rich. It will sell by itself because the market forces cannot afford to ignore it.
  17. Who speaks for J2EE?[ Go to top ]

Um, if you open-source it, how will it sell by itself?
  18. Who speaks for J2EE?[ Go to top ]

Drew,
    By "sell" I mean the product/technology/idea being adopted by many. I don't mean it in the conventional sense of making a quick buck or two.
  19. Bill Joy Leaves Sun[ Go to top ]

I think that Bill like many others has come to the realization that true innovation is not possible without an environment to be innovative in. It is the right time for people like Bill to help the industry make a paradigm shift. With wireless technologies expanding the reach of services and new ideas in service driven systems and programming at hand we need great minds and daring people to lead the charge into the future of usable and valuable services. Bill is one of these people. I think he is going back to his roots in open source where I believe the shift will come from.
  20. I don't want to say any thing about his leaving and it's impact on Sun. All I would like to say he is one of the most influential computer scientists of our time. I hope wherever he goes he will do the same innovation what he used to do all his life.
  21. Interesting - it's at: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1264699,00.asp

Best to all - gh