Sun may offer Java customers SCO relief

Discussions

News: Sun may offer Java customers SCO relief

1. Sun may offer Java customers SCO relief (8 messages)

"You license Java--we will indemnify you on Linux". This is what Jonathon Swartz has said about a possible program that Sun is thinking about. Sun is contemplating adding an unusual provision to some of its Java licenses under which the company would agree to protect licensees from Linux-related lawsuits filed by the SCO Group.

However, a Sun rep said that if this program sees the light of day, it will probably only apply to the J2ME world.

How nuts is all of this? :)

Read Sun may offer Java customers SCO relief

Threaded Messages (8)

2. May Sun knows something[ Go to top ]

That the SCO lawsuit is a total crock of malarky.
    Or maybe they just want a dig at IBM.

Rob
  3. May Sun knows something[ Go to top ]

That the SCO lawsuit is a total crock of malarky.

That's not what a major Linux portal says:

"But we should not gloss over the fact that the contribution of this bit of code to Linux does appear to have been a copyright infringement. The right way to deal with such problems is to acknowledge them, and to remove the bad code immediately. This will not be the last case of plagiarism that the community has to address; let's try to set a precedent for doing it right."
  4. How nuts is all of this?

It all makes perfect sense.

Sun's core business ("Solaris boxes") is doomed and thus Sun's only "asset" remaining is Java. Guess who's the next SCO sueing everybody for "stealing" their intellectual property? I guess next years Java One show will move to Las Vegas and sport a SCO-like "The World Is Not Enough" James Bond theme. No more Scott McNeally in pinguin suit. Guess who will be Scott McNeally's Bond Girl?

Bill Joy voted with his feet to preserve his legacy hoping that the world will remember him as an open source pioneer for his Berkely Software Distribution work, for example, and not as another Sun nutcase a la Scott McNeally or Jonathan Schwartz.

- Gerald

PS: Yes, you can make a difference before its too late. Join the Free World today and take action now. More Info at the Viva! site @ http://viva.sourceforge.net/action.html
  5. \Gerald Bauer\
    It all makes perfect sense.
    \Gerald Bauer\

On the planet VivaXUL III, perhaps. Don't know that it makes a lick of sense on this planet.

-Mike
  6. I would agree that sun's core business of Solaris boxes is slipping. It is recieving more competition these days, even though large businesses are still purchasing and maintaining those E10K machines in a production environment.

Sun needs a new spark to get its stagnet business rolling again before it becomes another DEC, and even Java is slowly moving away from its grasp.

> > How nuts is all of this?
    >
    > It all makes perfect sense.
    >
    > Sun's core business ("Solaris boxes") is doomed and thus Sun's only "asset" remaining is Java.
    > - Gerald
    >
  7. I hear Oracle is offering the same sort of amnesty to its TopLink customers to protect them from Cocobase patent infringements.

(kidding)

PS Gerald, do your customers ever mention anything about your foil helments?
  8. Sun may offer Java customers SCO relief[ Go to top ]

Who is behind SCO?
    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/applications/0,39020384,2137395,00.htm

What this means?
    http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/09/09/2355214.shtml?tid=11

And finaly:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=SUNW&t=2y&l=off&z=m&q=l&c=
    They keep losing market share in HW and iPlanet is no where.
    Looking at TPC.org, they are expensive and slow, relative to Linux on x86.

Anyway, SUN JVM I avoid, and use J:Rockit.

hth,
    .V
  9. Maybe this is why Bill Joy is leaving Sun[ Go to top ]

My guess is that this, as well as all the other asinine shenanigans that McNealy has been pulling lately just got to be too much for him and he had to get out.